battling variance and downswings

• 3 replies
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Don't play. Reassess your game and strategy and replay important hands from previous session and figure out what you did right or wrong. Every hand in poker is independent of the previous hands, what only stays on is the thought and memory of the previous hand in your mind which you need to let go. You are never in a downswing since there is no correlation between a series of hands in a session or multiple sessions
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      when things are going well I usually just mark trouble hands, analyse them and watch the odd video. When I start losing money and it's not just bad beats I generally look at blocks of my last (100-500) consecutive hands and look for reoccuring leaks. I try and do an hour or 2 and then start a session with half the number of tables as usual

Or I just change game again and again until I hit another heater
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Originally posted by bradomurder
      Or I just change game again and again until I hit another heater
      Don't think this is the best way to go about it. Actually seeing the inherent characteristic of a downswing, it shouldn't last for long cause its just a swing. Putting in enough volume will even it out as a down awing is just short term. However going on a tilt when in a downswing and putting in more volume will vaporize the bankroll very quickly which is why I suggested don't play and figure out whats wrong if anything is i.e. Then go ahead and put in a lot of volume. You can't live heater to heater. You have to make decisions that are best fr the long run not the short.