GosuHans' Blog :)

• hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      Hi. My name is Hans, and I am from Norway where I live in a small town named Tønsberg. I joined pokerstrategy ~2 years ago and have played poker on and off since then.

I have played my way up to NL50 twice and given up poker for awhile when the going got tough. The main reason for this I figured is probably all the holes in my game. I have previously moved up the blinds too fast relaying on bonuses and rakeback and have also played with a ridiculous BRM.

So two weeks ago I cashed out my ~$1700 roll and left 130$. The idea is to force myself to move up the blinds properly without rakeback or bonuses.

I play NL SH, and am currently playing NL10 at Betfair.

Goals:

[ X ] Be disciplined enough to reach 250$ BR before I start playing NL10
      [ ] Not looking at graph or bankroll until the end of March.
      [ ] Reach NL50 with proper BRM before August.

BR 27.02.2012: ~$130
      Current roll: ~$210
  • 12 replies
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      Ongame Network $4.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players

UTG: $4.13 - VPIP: 30, PFR: 10, 3B: 0, AF: 3.7, Hands: 60
      Hero (MP): $4.31 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 17, 3B: 6, AF: 2.4, Hands: 40137
      CO: $3.84 - VPIP: 53, PFR: 16, 3B: 0, AF: 1.2, Hands: 19
      BTN: $3.88 - VPIP: 4, PFR: 4, 3B: 0, AF: Infinity, Hands: 54
      SB: $5.16 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 6, 3B: 3, AF: 1.7, Hands: 679
      BB: $2.18 - VPIP: 30, PFR: 10, 3B: 0, AF: 3.7, Hands: 60

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero is MP with A:heart: 2:heart:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.16, CO calls $0.16, 1 fold, SB calls $0.14, BB calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.64) 4:diamond: A:diamond: T:heart: (4 players)
      SB bets $0.32, BB folds, Hero calls $0.32, CO calls $0.32

Turn: ($1.60) 8:club: (3 players)
      SB bets $0.80, Hero raises to $2, CO folds, SB folds

I found this hand a bit interesting. My reasoning for opening this loose was a nit on the button playing 4/4 over 50 hands and a passive fish in the CO wich I didn't mind calling.

The reg taking initiative on the flop appeared weak to me by betting half pot 3 handed on a drawy board. When he followed up and bet half pot on turn as well I figured I probably have the best hand and went for a protection raise.

Any thoughts on the hand?
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      We are halfway through March, and here is my graph so far:

I had a bit of a rough start in the beginning since it was several months ago since last I had played poker, but now I have gotten my grind on. Overall pretty happy with my play, but I keep doing some emosional decisions which has probably already cost me 3-4 buyins, so that is something I definetely need to work on.

I am still keeping my goal to not sit down at any NL10 table until my bankroll is at 250$. I find it really hard since I know I can beat the limit, but I think it is better for my overall game to work my way up the blinds in a slow pace. If I can't stay away from moving up too fast now, I probably won't be able to do so when I get close to NL50-100 either.
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      Just played a session and ran like crap. Down 4 buyins in 300 hands. Sets and gutshots made on the river all over the place. And so the steaming begun, I had completely forgotten how prone I actually am to tilt, and need to be working on my mindset quite a bit.

No matter how calm I am able to get during bad sessions I allways end up tilting again if the bad run continous. So I will try to play with a stop loss limit from now on. Maybe 2 or 3 buyins as the limit..
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Tilting away $$ is never fun times :(

Do you have any sort of Stop-Loss strategy in place?

Hopefully you keep to BRM too, I see your eager to jump up to NL10, be sure to beat NL5 first ;)
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      It sure isn't. I am attempting to stick with a 3 buy in stop-loss. The problem is sticking with it when I get my tilt-heat on :f_biggrin:

But I think getting my discipline in order and sticking to BRM will help my tilt issues alot..
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      Update

Have been running like a boss the past couple of days and gotten a nice roll of 210$.. the temptation of playing NL10 is getting stronger for every $ up though :/ But patience and discipline is key in poker and I need to work on my mental game, so for the first time ever in my poker career I'll beat a limit without moving up until i have 25 buy-ins.

So I am 40$ away from reaching NL10 which I am hoping to do before the end of March. I will also reach Silver level on my Betfair players club as well which is nice. However I an not cashing out any of my player points since I'm not going to add any bonus $ to my BRM.
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      Been getting the heat on the last couple of days. Found a way I could play a bit more tables on my pitiful 15" screen. I barely have room for 6 tables on my screen when they overlap.. but found out I could stack 3 tables in those spots and 18-table :) It is a bit of a mess, but seems to be working quite well and now my BR is at 235$ and NL10 is getting close!

I adjusted my multitabling play half way through on that graph and turned on some more aggression. Played 17/14 first half and 20/17 second half.
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      ...and NL4 is pwnd! Whoop whoop. BR is at 249$, but that will do :) Going for some NL10 grinding tonight! My BRM for NL10 will be to play it as long as roll is above 200$.

NL4 graph:
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      NL10 has not been going any good. I feel like I am running very bad, a lot of TPTK vs set and TP second kicker versus TK. But I am also positive that I have blown away alot of $ on bad play. So in my next attempt at becoming a better player I will try to avoid looking at winnings or losses during and after sessions. My goal for the rest of March is to be unaware of my winnings and give a 100% focus to my play.

NL10 graph so far:

• hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      I have played a couple of sessions now without looking at my BR/winnings. And must say I think it is going to pay off. I think I am able to focus on my playing in a much better way. But the curiosity is kiiiiillling me... I so badly want to look at my graph, but I have to stay strong!

• hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      I am thinking about changing my BRM plan. I am noticing a ton of leaks which I would like to get rid of before I even think about moving up. Was thinking that a goal of x amount of bb/100 is a better measurement to use than just moving up when my BR is sufficient. Sample plan is last 30k hands needs to be x amount of bb/100.

So I need some input from you guys.. what do you think is a good bb/100 goal for NL10 (with a sample of 30k hands) before moving to NL20? I was thinking 10 bb/100 since it is such a nice and round number, but I dunno what is doable.

Has anyone else played this strategy for moving up?