This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

GosuHans' Blog :)

• hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      Hi. My name is Hans, and I am from Norway where I live in a small town named Tønsberg. I joined pokerstrategy ~2 years ago and have played poker on and off since then.

I have played my way up to NL50 twice and given up poker for awhile when the going got tough. The main reason for this I figured is probably all the holes in my game. I have previously moved up the blinds too fast relaying on bonuses and rakeback and have also played with a ridiculous BRM.

So two weeks ago I cashed out my ~$1700 roll and left 130$. The idea is to force myself to move up the blinds properly without rakeback or bonuses.

I play NL SH, and am currently playing NL10 at Betfair.

Goals:

[ X ] Be disciplined enough to reach 250$ BR before I start playing NL10
      [ ] Not looking at graph or bankroll until the end of March.
      [ ] Reach NL50 with proper BRM before August.

BR 27.02.2012: ~$130
      Current roll: ~$210
  • 12 replies
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      Ongame Network $4.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players

UTG: $4.13 - VPIP: 30, PFR: 10, 3B: 0, AF: 3.7, Hands: 60
      Hero (MP): $4.31 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 17, 3B: 6, AF: 2.4, Hands: 40137
      CO: $3.84 - VPIP: 53, PFR: 16, 3B: 0, AF: 1.2, Hands: 19
      BTN: $3.88 - VPIP: 4, PFR: 4, 3B: 0, AF: Infinity, Hands: 54
      SB: $5.16 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 6, 3B: 3, AF: 1.7, Hands: 679
      BB: $2.18 - VPIP: 30, PFR: 10, 3B: 0, AF: 3.7, Hands: 60

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero is MP with A:heart: 2:heart:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.16, CO calls $0.16, 1 fold, SB calls $0.14, BB calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.64) 4:diamond: A:diamond: T:heart: (4 players)
      SB bets $0.32, BB folds, Hero calls $0.32, CO calls $0.32

Turn: ($1.60) 8:club: (3 players)
      SB bets $0.80, Hero raises to $2, CO folds, SB folds

I found this hand a bit interesting. My reasoning for opening this loose was a nit on the button playing 4/4 over 50 hands and a passive fish in the CO wich I didn't mind calling.

The reg taking initiative on the flop appeared weak to me by betting half pot 3 handed on a drawy board. When he followed up and bet half pot on turn as well I figured I probably have the best hand and went for a protection raise.

Any thoughts on the hand?
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      We are halfway through March, and here is my graph so far:

I had a bit of a rough start in the beginning since it was several months ago since last I had played poker, but now I have gotten my grind on. Overall pretty happy with my play, but I keep doing some emosional decisions which has probably already cost me 3-4 buyins, so that is something I definetely need to work on.

I am still keeping my goal to not sit down at any NL10 table until my bankroll is at 250$. I find it really hard since I know I can beat the limit, but I think it is better for my overall game to work my way up the blinds in a slow pace. If I can't stay away from moving up too fast now, I probably won't be able to do so when I get close to NL50-100 either.
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      Just played a session and ran like crap. Down 4 buyins in 300 hands. Sets and gutshots made on the river all over the place. And so the steaming begun, I had completely forgotten how prone I actually am to tilt, and need to be working on my mindset quite a bit.

No matter how calm I am able to get during bad sessions I allways end up tilting again if the bad run continous. So I will try to play with a stop loss limit from now on. Maybe 2 or 3 buyins as the limit..
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Tilting away $$ is never fun times :(

Do you have any sort of Stop-Loss strategy in place?

Hopefully you keep to BRM too, I see your eager to jump up to NL10, be sure to beat NL5 first ;)
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      It sure isn't. I am attempting to stick with a 3 buy in stop-loss. The problem is sticking with it when I get my tilt-heat on :f_biggrin:

But I think getting my discipline in order and sticking to BRM will help my tilt issues alot..
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      Update

Have been running like a boss the past couple of days and gotten a nice roll of 210$.. the temptation of playing NL10 is getting stronger for every $ up though :/ But patience and discipline is key in poker and I need to work on my mental game, so for the first time ever in my poker career I'll beat a limit without moving up until i have 25 buy-ins.

So I am 40$ away from reaching NL10 which I am hoping to do before the end of March. I will also reach Silver level on my Betfair players club as well which is nice. However I an not cashing out any of my player points since I'm not going to add any bonus $ to my BRM.
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      Been getting the heat on the last couple of days. Found a way I could play a bit more tables on my pitiful 15" screen. I barely have room for 6 tables on my screen when they overlap.. but found out I could stack 3 tables in those spots and 18-table :) It is a bit of a mess, but seems to be working quite well and now my BR is at 235$ and NL10 is getting close!

I adjusted my multitabling play half way through on that graph and turned on some more aggression. Played 17/14 first half and 20/17 second half.
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      ...and NL4 is pwnd! Whoop whoop. BR is at 249$, but that will do :) Going for some NL10 grinding tonight! My BRM for NL10 will be to play it as long as roll is above 200$.

NL4 graph:
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      NL10 has not been going any good. I feel like I am running very bad, a lot of TPTK vs set and TP second kicker versus TK. But I am also positive that I have blown away alot of $ on bad play. So in my next attempt at becoming a better player I will try to avoid looking at winnings or losses during and after sessions. My goal for the rest of March is to be unaware of my winnings and give a 100% focus to my play.

NL10 graph so far:

• hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      I have played a couple of sessions now without looking at my BR/winnings. And must say I think it is going to pay off. I think I am able to focus on my playing in a much better way. But the curiosity is kiiiiillling me... I so badly want to look at my graph, but I have to stay strong!

• hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      I am thinking about changing my BRM plan. I am noticing a ton of leaks which I would like to get rid of before I even think about moving up. Was thinking that a goal of x amount of bb/100 is a better measurement to use than just moving up when my BR is sufficient. Sample plan is last 30k hands needs to be x amount of bb/100.

So I need some input from you guys.. what do you think is a good bb/100 goal for NL10 (with a sample of 30k hands) before moving to NL20? I was thinking 10 bb/100 since it is such a nice and round number, but I dunno what is doable.

Has anyone else played this strategy for moving up?