ID Check - WHY a proof of address?

• z0ned
      z0ned
      Basic
      Hi Folks

Like many others here I was caught off guard by the ID check requirements after passing the quiz and signing up at a poker site. I happily sent my passport but PS are insisting for proof of address.

I have seen many posts about difficulty providing this, but my question is WHY do they need it?

PS states on its web site they need to check ID to prove your age (18+) and to stop people requesting multiple $50. Fair enough. But a passport can be used for both those things.

I am so wary about giving passport AND address to an internet company.

Can anyone think of a valid reason for needing an address to meet the PS rationale for an identity check?

Thanks
  • 3 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey z0ned,

There's nothing to worry about as i'm sure plenty of members will be along to tell you it's just to check you are who you say you are, i imagine to check that the proof of address is the same as that on your passport. Once the ID check has been completed all images are deleted.

It's becoming more and more common also that poker rooms ask for these forms of ID too so to put it bluntly its something that you will need to get used to i'm afraid.

I'm not sure what else i can say to convince you any more than this if you have any more specific questions to put your mind at ease please let me know and i'll see what i can do.

Best regards,
      Carl
    • z0ned
      z0ned
      Basic
      Hey Carl

THanks for the quick response, but I am afraid that your answer doesn't really hit the root of my question.

I would like to know why an address is needed to meet the stated objectives of the ID check. A UK passport does not have an address on it (which is why I chose a to send a passport), but a passport should be sufficient to prove age and to stop me requesting multiple $50 handouts.

I know that ultimately I can walk away if I don't like it, but I am a logical guy (too logical my wife would say!) and cant logically see why an address is needed.

Thanks again!

Matt.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by z0ned
      Hey Carl

I know that ultimately I can walk away if I don't like it, but I am a logical guy (too logical my wife would say!)

Matt.
      That sounds familiar :D

Sigh this sounds like im side stepping the question but i'm really not. The Id checks are handled by the security team, i have no access to this kind of information so i can't tell you why they need certain documents from you.

If you want you can click the help tab at the top of the site and send a ticket to support, however i must warn you that because this type of offer is vulnerable to fraudulent attacks they are really limited to what information they can divulge.

I'm sorry if i sound a bit vague. Both yours and our own security are one of if not our one main priority and all details are handled and used within all data protection laws absolutely none of your information is sent to 3rd parties.

We currently have over 5 million members in 19 different language communities and have won and been nominated for multiple poker affiliate awards if this helps put your mind at ease at all.

Of course as you said you can walk away if you are not completely happy but if you are serious about taking up or improving your poker game you will be making a huge mistake, if you aren't happy with the ID check and still want to be a part of the community then you don't have to take the $50 you can sign up with one of our partner rooms and take advantage of the best first deposit bonuses and legal rakeback deals around.

Let me know if i can help anymore,

Carl