[NL2-NL10] NL2 FR AQo, flop brings top two

• Borr
      Borr
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I am pretty new to the game and this is the first hand I ever posted. I have had my account here for a while and the 50$ starting capital went to partpoker's 3 month inactivity fee.

I recently picked the game up again and I am trying to build up my bankroll at 888 from the free 8 dollars I got for signing up there. I played the play money tables for a while to get used to the software and the game, as i didn't want to blow the 8 dollars :)

Now this hand played down. I have only seen around 10 hands at this table, so i have no useful stats. What i did notice is that players folded pretty easily (but that may be my perspective from the play money tables :) )

I think, sticking to MSS, i should have bet stronger preflop. After two limpers and a 5x bet, I could have made it $0.30, right?

Given what i did preflop, and flopping top two pair, I would like to have gotten more value from this hand. Is there anything I should have done differently here? I came out (having initiative) with a half pot-sized bet. Is it wise to c/r or even c/c here given the texture of the board?
      Or should I be satisfied with what i got?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP1:
      $2.14
      MP2:
      $0.38
      MP3:
      $5.05
      CO:
      $2.37
      BU:
      $2.00
      SB (Hero):
      $0.81
      BB:
      $1.84
      UTG1:
      $2.00
      UTG2:
      $2.24

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, Q.
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.02, BU raises to $0.10, Hero raises to $0.18, 2 folds, CO calls $0.16, BU calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.58) 6, A, Q (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.29, CO folds, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.58.
  • 2 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hey Borr :) !

Welcome to PokerStrategy Hand Evaluations section!

The playmoney tables play really different than the real money games, the only reason I would ever play those is to get used to the software

Now preflop you see a raise, and we can reraise him with our AQo. Here the standard is to go to at least of 30cents (3x multiply factor). You minraise here which gives him the best odds in town to outdraw you

Now the Flop we are 3way and any Ace is going to call you so betting bigger is the most logical play. I would bet $.40 or even contemplate shoving with your 63cents stack

Hope it makes sense!

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • Borr
      Borr
      Bronze
      Hi Gerv, thanks for the welcome and your evaluation :D

Yeah, preflop was a mistake. I did not expect a playable hand as I was about to sign off. It caught me offguard and i was anxious to get a bet in. The minraise button appeared to be closest... Note to self: keep your cool!

And on the flop, yeah. I can imagine anyone with pocket pairs under JJ's to fold to any bet. So my best option is to hope that someone hit the Ace and is tempted to call. Makes sense, thanks!