minimising losses in SB and BB. What works for you?

• conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      As topic, I'm an awful loser in these positions, playing about 25/15 in SB, and 21/11 in BB.

i'm losing 120evbb's/100 overall in SB and BB combined! ( 90 of which is from SB).

I'm trying to greatly reduce this.

My sample is very very small at present, but I do believe this is important enough to address as it impacts my winrate enormously.

I have determined that If I folded both the SB and BB 100% of the time, my winrate would be INFINITELY better than it currently is, as I would only be losing 25bb/100 by folding out 100%. But clearly I'm going to play certain hands which should improve this further.

What hands do you play in SB and BB?

I have decided on:

TTJJ+ for pair type hands
      AAxxss+ or AABx+ where B is a broadway
      AJJxss+
      56xx+ double suited rundowns with 1 gap ( except top) or better.
      A567ds+

thoughts? any hands I should add or remove from this?
      which hand types would you be inclined to add/remove for :
      -TAGS
      -nits
      -LAGS
      - Loose Passives
  • 5 replies
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      going well so far, I think this is gonna be a fair bit better than my previous pick and choose mentality
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      I would give my patented "it depends" answer here.

From SB you should pretty much play tight. It's like an in-built trap in the game. You get discount to see the flop, but you are in the worst position. Most common mistake is to call with marginal hands, as "it's so cheap". Then you flop marginally, sit in worst position, so the results are usually big losses.

Like Jens Kyllonen said, you can even fold all small blinds, and it won't be such a big leak. :)

I don't like predetermined hand ranges in plo, that is for holdem. In plo it all depends on your own playing style/abilities, and the table (opponents, dynamics). But as a general rule, respect the position.
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Against aggressive opponents play tight, against passive opponents play looser (not loose!) from the SB. All your losses come from checking the flop and folding to a bet from a player in position (when you don't hit the flop hard enough).You will do this a lot, so if the players in position are passive, you can get away with making some calls from the SB that you would fold otherwise.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      sb and bb winrates are getting much better; once I get a sample I might post on my progress :)
    • lilDave
      lilDave
      Bronze
      its virtually impossible to make money from the blinds in PLO, my advice would be to only play a high card dominated range and big pairs, basically hands with nut potential otherwsie we're going to be mking non-nut hands and having to chk/guess with them, which is where most of your losses will come from.

And be VERY CAREFUL what hands you 3bet