i miss online poker

• danhyoo
      danhyoo
      Basic
      Hey guys,

Just one of the millions of US players that was devastated by the indictment. Just a small background of myself, I graduated from Carnegie Mellon in 2009 and decided to make a bold move, to become an online poker professional. I received multiple job offers from insurance and trading firms but my true passion lied in poker. So, I decided to commit at least a year as a poker professional. I lived, slept, and ate poker. After every session, I would use HEM to find any patches or mistakes, whether it was a 5bb or a 200bb pot. I quickly climbed up the ladder stakes and was one of the top HUsng players on the Cereus network. Right before Black Friday, I was averaging a 5-6%ROI at the stakes between $50-$250 hyper turbos. I was making anywhere between $5000-$10000 a month with rakeback and never had a losing month in 2010 and 2011. I was on a heater and was preparing myself to take some shots at $500+ stakes. Then, BAM, my job and a HUGE portion of my money was gone... just like that and there was nothing I could do. Since, then I've played about 30 tournaments in Atlantic City, accumulated $30,000 in winnings, but it just wasn't the same as online poker. I was pretty burnt out from all the driving, the lack of healthy food and exercise, and the sick variance. The sickest hand I endured was day 2 of the Borgata WPT $3500. I'm 10 places away from the bubble and I look down at JJ with about 35BB. I raise on the button and the bigblind who had me covered snap shoves. I tank only because so much is on the line and I knew from there I should not have entered this tournament if I'm not snap calling a 35bb call on the button against a 3bet shove from the bb. So I eventually call and I see myself up against AK. the door card J! 4 Q. Turn 10... completes his straight, and I miss the river.

From there, I decided to utilize my 100k degree from a top-tier university. I've applied to numerous gaming companies as a data analyst, including pokerstrategy.com in Gibraltar. My hopes are that I receive an offer as an analyst and help contribute to an industry that I am passionate about. However, whether or not I get this job, I want to use the skills I developed as a HUsng/mtt player and give back to the poker community by participating in the forums. I was an active member of liquidpoker.net but the site has died down due to the majority of users being American. Although I may not be able to play, I would LOVE to discuss some hands with you guys. I have a strong foundation of ICM, nash, and the mathematics of poker so if you want to discuss, PM me. If any of you guys are wondering, I'm Seobombisgay on the CEREUS network, and had a bunch of other handles on other sites as well. Good luck all!
  • 6 replies
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      That's tough... But if you made that much money, you should consider going to a country where online poker is allowed for you to continue the life you had before...
    • danhyoo
      danhyoo
      Basic
      It's really not that easy. I considered moving to Canada but it would require a couple months getting my visa. Also, I have the option of finding a stable job until poker comes back. I would SNAP-move out of America if I had no chance of finding another source of income. However, I have a lot of other opportunities and would rather pan out all my options before committing to becoming a poker professional in another country. Also, there are other complications such as a small business that I own and would be a tremendous sacrifice if I were to make such a move. I'm always leaving the option to go professional in another country though.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Welcome Dan.

Really feel for your current situation. Have you considered moving to Mexico/Canada like a lot of online American pros. It certainly would seem like it was worth looking into given your earning stream, and also the fact it doesn't look likely US players will be back online this year.

Also there are dedicated websites to help guys like you relocate

Although I play mainly MTTs and SnGs, I don't perform as well as I should when those games get SH or HU.

I will be keeping an eye on your blog, so all the best until next time

Laz
    • danhyoo
      danhyoo
      Basic
      My cousin and I both considered moving to Canada a couple months ago. But we would be leaving A LOT behind as he also helps run his family's business. The move is almost marginal or break-even as we saw it. If we had no commitment in the US or making 300k+ a year with very little variance, I would easily move out. However, 70-100k just isnt enough for me to make that kind of heavy commitment.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi Danhyoo!

Wow bad story you got there!
      It's nice taht you looked for a new community! And it's really nice of you that you want to help people!

I hope everything works out well for you and your family!

Regards
      RasTweet
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      You should play again anyway if you love it so much.

I love how your ultra sick bad beat story is losing a coin-flip........