Hero checks, UTG bets $0.70, fold

UTG wins $0.72

Villain 39/0/1

Guess I needed to push on the flop?
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      You can't be too wrong with pushing the Flop but you are never crushing his range. Calling the raise is good IP. As played it is highly dependent on opponent's tendencies. If he still can have some semi-bluffs which will continue bluffing you should call again and evaluate river.

On the other hand, If you think he pushes those strong draws on the Flop you should stack off on the Flop for sure.

Your pre-flop play is also very bad. You should always be raising here to 15 or 20 cents to steal the blinds or seize the initiative.

Without any info I think I call the Turn again and if I hit my flush on the River I would donk halfpot for value, hoping for him to make a crying call with his sets or twopair. I would c/c my twopair outs and probably c/f even if i hit trip Aces because I think he would check behind with Q9 if that happens.

AQ and 99/AA/QQ aren't really a part of his preflop range, I expect him to be raising those most of the time after you limp in the SB.
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      I played against an utg, who is also a shortstack. Seems that you missed that. That's why i didn't steel, because there weren't situation for that. I didn't wanted to isolate oop because he's short, so I decided to limp, of course in this way bb comes along, but I can easily extract value if i hit ace against utg, and also i can draw cheaply most of the time.

I don't really know what to think about his raise on the flop, because these type of players rarely do it. They call with weak draw, strong draw, nuts. And if they didnt get enough value by the river, they just push it. At least that's in my experience.

And i folded turn, because he had smaller than potsize left after his bet. Althouh I can probably get all his stack if one of my outs hits.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello staktas,

Against his stack and overall play-style which is limping and while he could easily be even having worse Ax hands and maybe even worse draws as J:hT/K:hJ/K:hT or whatsoever and against that kind of range as vs:

Board: A:diamond: Q:heart: 9:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    45.59%  33.20%  12.39% { AA, QQ, 99, A2s+, KhJh, KhTh, JhTh, A5o+ }
      UTG+1  54.41%  42.02%  12.39% { Ah6h }

we can easily even go broke here. So I don't mind if you even just get it in on the flop, he doesn't even have a full stack. :)

But if you picked a passive play I don't mind your play, that's also the downswing of such a play cause you ain't getting the implied odds on the turn vs pot size bet + vs his stack left.

Best Regards.