+EV vs BRM

• Mugge88
      Normally (as most other half decent poker-players) I stick pretty strict to BRM, but yesterday I had a pretty tough decision. After grinding a little NL25 playing ~breakeven, looking for some fishes who could throw some money at me I found this one guy: 85+/0,5/1,5/300 hands (well, that's the stats I enden up with, can't remember what he was on when I spotted him. Since these stats are quite extreme even for NL25 fishes I cut down to one table to focus completely on this player (whom I had position on - isoraises FTW, yeah!). Of course he wen't broke quite soon after and I took a little break. 10 mins later I was back and looked over the buddy list *bang* he was back. 5 secs later I was sitting in position on him again. This time he had some lucky setups (not just lucky, more like insanely lucky setups) and a few people willing to pay him off so he managed to build his stack up to ~500BB at the table (yummy - big fish with big stack :D ) I hit some pretty cold cards and only managed to get like 50-75BB's from him before he got up. Later he was back again, and i managed to take parts of his stack from 3 different tables once at a time, knowing exactly how to play him at the time. Had a great night with some great profit, but here comes the question:

After the last NL25 table he sat down at a NL100 table with a full stack, which brings up the dilemma: How much are you willing to break you BRM to gain such massive +EV? Of course I ended up just logging out, since It's too high for my limit and there will be lots of new fishes at NL25. But what if I had been playing higher, where the fishes are less frequent, or what if he had just moved up one limit instead?

The scenario opened up a few questions to me, and I would like to hear your opinion on this matter (I know this could be answered mathematically, but I'm more intrested in hearing your personal preferences, since most of you prabably have experienced a similar situation at one point of your poker carrier.

Best regards,

P.S: Don't mind the typos :)
  • 2 replies
    • swissmoumout
      this is what happens when you take shots 2 levels above yours:

seriously though, it depends on your bankroll. I usually like to have ~ 20 buy-ins when I take shots, but that's personal...usually though I wouldn't bother following a fish if I was at nl25. They pretty much populate that limit, so you don't really need to follow huge fish around for good profit.
    • TribunCaesar
      Hi Mugge88

I would follow a big fish just one limit over my regular limit, so i can afford to loose a stack through a setup or bad beat. I would not take shots at another higher limit.
      But on Nl25 you should not be bothered by one big fish, there are tons of them.

best regards,