thight is right?

• jleonra
      jleonra
      Bronze
      Is it really the best strategy to play tight the SnG at the microlimits? granted that i have played extremely low amount of SnG to make an accurate statement, but playing tight have a negative effect on my stack by the time we get to the bubble, i pretty much always find me in bad shape.

On the other hand, the best results have come when i take some risk, like playing K2s or Axs OOP.

Not to mention so far i've had a bad run in the coin flips, KK and QQ specially have lost me lots of SnG in the bubble vs Ax from the big stacks.

I play about 10-15 SnG a day, so far i'm -2.2dlls over a sample of 120 SnG's. i've been practicing a lot with the ICM Trainer and the ICM Light but is pretty marginal my improvement. I've red i should not be result oriented, but it sure is hard not to when the right thing to do seems to be folding everything but AA on the bubble and pray for some1 to get busted out before you get anted away.
  • 5 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Tight is right, but tighter is not necessarily righter.

If you are currently playing too tightly, this means you are passing up profitable situations, and some hands you think are marginal are actually clear winners, so dropping them would hurt your ROI.

In the last game, it is a big advantage to know that you don't have to push tightly in many situations.

Would you recommend that beginners play the same ranges as experts in the early phases of SNGs? I don't, and PokerStrategy doesn't. Beginners may want to play quite tightly early on to make sure they don't make some large postflop errors which prevent them from seeing the push/fold portion of the game. This is not optimal, and someone who plays decently postflop should play more hands. However, many players also overestimate how many hands they can play profitably.

Typically, when people want to learn to play more hands in early levels, the right places to loosen up are on the button and when first in from the small blind.
    • jleonra
      jleonra
      Bronze
      thanks for the reply, i've losen up a bit my range of hands today and i've getting to the bubble in better shape, still no luck with the coin flips though, again QQ got cracked by AJ :P

now i gotta focus on my postflop play and HU lots of 2nd places :f_cry:
    • RovarTry
      RovarTry
      Bronze
      I recommend watching videos... Here you'll get an idea what are profitable hands and from what position. It opened my world :D
    • jleonra
      jleonra
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RovarTry
      I recommend watching videos... Here you'll get an idea what are profitable hands and from what position. It opened my world :D

yeah i've started watching the videos daily, they really help a lot i still have trouble deciding if i should open certain cards in certain spots but the more i watch'em the more things seems to fall into place.

btw nice blog i think i'll follow you :s_cool:
    • RovarTry
      RovarTry
      Bronze
      Thank you, sir! Feel free to drop by anytime :]