Psychological research: main topic

• MasterAZ
      MasterAZ
      Bronze
      Hello, everyone!

First of all, let me introduce myself. :)
      My name's Alexey, (or Alex), and I'm from Russian community, where I work as SSS hand judge and news translator. Also it's worth mentioning that I study social psychology and specialize in cross-cultural psychology.
      And I've come here to ask members of English community for some help with my research. :)

There's an incredible amount of data on tecnical side of poker: odds and outs, continuation bets, and so on, and so forth. So it's quite easy to say what's the difference between a complete novice and a successful professional poker player: in general, a novice doesn't know anything about odds or outs or smth like that, and a professional knows all that. Also, a professional's a lot more likely to use special software like Hold'em Manager, PokerTracker, PokerStrategy.com Equilab, StoxEV and et cetera.

However, it's unclear if there's any difference in some psychological aspects of poker. A professional poker player may have quite different perception of some situations and make really different decisions. So, my research is an attempt to discover some possible factors that differ successful players and amateurs. :s_cool:

To be short, it's a cross-cultural psychological research, based on some judgment and decision making tasks, and I have two main goals:
      - Test if there's any significant difference between professionals and amateurs;
      - Test if there's any significant difference between players from different cultures.

Why participate?
      Well, first of all, you'll help me, you'll help science in general. And, if we're lucky,in the end it'll lead to some interesting results that may help you improve your own game.
      Secondly, it's fun. :D . Also, it won't take much time, nearly 20 mins or so.

Finally, when I'll finish this research, there'll be a small lottery.
      Anyone, who'll participate in my research, will have a chance to win one of three prizes of 50$ each.
      IMPORTANT: I'm able to transfer money only to PokerStars.com or Skrill (Moneybookers) account. Be aware of that.

How to participate?
      1) My questionnare has two versions, A and B.
      Look at your birthday date.
      If it's odd (e.g. 1st, 3rd, 5th..), choose version A.
      It it's even (e.g. 2nd, 4th, 6th...), choose version B.

2) Fill all the answers.

3) Send your answers to me by one of two possible ways.
      [list]
      [*]Post it in a corresponding tread at our forums: use *this topic* for version A and *this topic* for version B. Use [SPOILER] tag.
      [*]Send it to me via email: lollyman@mail.ru . E-mail subject: "Psychological research, version <your version number>".
      [/list]

Personal questions and confidentiality

The questionnare includes some rather personal questions, like "gender" or "country of residence". They are completely necessary for statistical reasons. I will need this data to find out how many participants are male/female, or average participant's age, etc, etc. I need data like "country of residence" to compare participants from different countries, and so on.

So I really need you to answer all the questions. If you don't want to post your answers at our forums (maybe if the personal questions are too personal to reveal all this here), you can send me your answers by email. If you do, you won't have to reveal your name at PokerStrategy.com.
      That means that only I'll see your answers (because noone else has access to my mailbox) and that even I won't be able to find out a nickname of a person who send me the data. It'd be completely anonymous.

Some final words
      I need relatively large sample and a lot of participants, so please, participate, and tell your friends, who play poker, who are from this community, to participate also. And don't miss the chance to win some money here :f_cool:

I'll be glad to answer any possible questions here, in this topic!

Thank you a lot for reading all this and for participating in my research! :f_biggrin:
  • 8 replies
    • MasterAZ
      MasterAZ
      Bronze
      Well, ~10 participants here + some e-mails, that means that participating in my research is still great +EV for you :D

I really need at least 10-20 more participants, so plz answer yourself (if you didn't do this before) or tell your friends (if you did). :)
    • MasterAZ
      MasterAZ
      Bronze
      up

I still have ~5 days or so to collect data I require, so it still's not so late to participate, if you wish so. :)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I should have answered in thread B instead of A based on my birthday. does that matter much?
    • MasterAZ
      MasterAZ
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      I should have answered in thread B instead of A based on my birthday. does that matter much?
      No, it doesn't. :)
    • MasterAZ
      MasterAZ
      Bronze
      Okay, time's almost up. :)
      I accept answers until 23.59 (Moscow time), April, 3rd.
      At ~1-2 a.m. (Moscow time) on April, 4rth I'll post nicknames of the lottery winners. :)
    • MasterAZ
      MasterAZ
      Bronze
      Well, it's not 1-2 AM of 4th of April, but here are the winners :)

- MatejM47 (version A)
      - ghaleon (version A)
      - c.pe****@gmail.com (recieved by e-mail, version B)

Please, contact me via e-mail (lollyman@mail.ru) , Skype (alex_le_sang), or here in this tread so I could send you your 50$.
      I need your Skrill (Moneybookers) name or your ID at PokerStars to send you the money.
    • L3ST
      L3ST
      Bronze
      Hey there MasterAZ.

I know the research is over, but if you plan on doing any more of these you can use surveymoney or any other survey tools like that.
      The advantages are pretty big:
      1. It's easier for the respondents - just select response and click next vs time consuming copy/paste.
      2. It's easier for you: a) you have statistics compiled anytime and b) you'll get considerably more responses because of reason number 1.
      3. You can see how many people quit mid-questionnaire so you can improve the next one.

Hope it helps.