Psychological research: version A (topic for answers ONLY)

• MasterAZ
      MasterAZ
      Bronze
      Instructions

Study you're taking part in is about decision-making of professional poker players. In all the following tasks you'll have to imagine some situation. There're no "correct" or "incorrect" answers, choose the answer that fits you better and is closer to your real behavior.
      You'll possibly think there're some similar tasks. Please consider them as separate, not interconnected situations, and don't look back at the answers you've already given.
      Please read the task carefully. In each task you'll be asked to either choose one answer or evaluate some arguement with a scale from 1 to 5 (1 being "absolutely disagree" or "very low probability", and 5 being "absolutely agree" or "very high probability").

1) You're in a small blind. Someone's raised and now you've got to fold, because according to stats and action both call and 3bet aren't a good option to consider. How intense is a feeling that you loose one small blind when you fold?

A) I've got no such feeling.
      B) I've got a feeling of moderate intensity
      C) I've got a feeling of average intensity
      D) I've got a feeling of high intensity
      E) I ultimately feel like that

2) When you started playing today your bankroll was 55 BI. Now, in the middle of a game session, you take a look at the results and you see that you've lost 6 BI. Which of the following answers is the closest to you real feelings at the moment?

A) I feel like my bankroll is 55 BI, I'm not interested in intermediate result.
      B) I feel like my bankroll is 55 BI, but I'll think at my actions more carefully, as I've already lost a bit.
      C) I feel like my bankroll is between 49 and 55 BI, I've got no clear feeling about my bankroll.
      D) I feel like my bankroll is 49 BI, but I'm not going to let my money fly away so easily.
      E) I feel like my bankroll is 49 BI, I'm playing further, but I consider my bankroll 49 BI.

3) You've traveled to a store to buy a new tie and a new umbrella walking stick. Finally, you've picked a $50 umbrella and a $150 tie. When you were about to pay for them, salesman told you that there's another branch of the store 20 min away, where you can buy the same umbrella with a discount for just $30. How likely is that you'll travel to the other store for the umbrella? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5 (here and further it's meant that 1 is low probability and 5 is high probability).

4) During one of you poker room's promotions you've won a ticket to a $100,000 freeroll, in which, in our assumption, there'll be about 5,000 players. You are able to exchange that ticket for a $15 bonus which you can claim at any point. How likely is that you will exchange the ticket? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

5) Imagine that you've inherited a collection of stamps from your remote kinsman. In that collection there're twelve limited edition stamps of decent value. Serious collectors you've consulted with assess them at $1100. In 1992, when those stamps were first issued, they were assessed at $800. You would really want to sell these stamps, and you've spent quite a time looking for a buyer, but buyers for such things are always hard to find. You've met a collector who offered you $800 for the stamps. How likely is that you'll agree to the deal? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

6) In the poker room's VIP store there's a hat with that room logo. It has already been two months since you ordered the hat, and it seems that your parcel was lost. How likely is that you'll order it again? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

7) You've traveled to a store to buy a new shirt and new shorts. Finally, you've picked $50 shorts and a $150 skirt. When you were about to pay for them, salesman told you that there's another branch of the store 20 min away, where you can buy the same skirt with a discount for just $130. How likely is that you'll travel to the other store for the skirt? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

8) During one of you poker room's promotions you've won $15 bonus which you can claim at any point. You are able to exchange that bonus for a ticket to a $100,000 freeroll, in which, in our assumption, there'll be about 5,000 players. How likely is that you will exchange the bonus? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

9) Imagine that you've inherited a collection of stamps from your remote kinsman. In that collection there're twelve limited edition stamps of decent value. Serious collectors you've consulted with assess them at $1100. In 1968, when those stamps were first issued, they were assessed at $250. You would really want to sell these stamps, and you've spent quite a time looking for a buyer, but buyers for such things are always hard to find. You've met a collector who offered you $800 for the stamps. How likely is that you'll agree to the deal? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

10) What do you think, is there a significant difference between questions #3 and #7?
      Explain you answer.

11) What do you think, is there a significant difference between questions #5 and #9?
      Explain you answer.

Participant information. Please answer some questions about yourself and your experience as onlne poker player. The study is anonymous, but this information is required for statistical reasons.

12) Gender:

13) Age:

14) Country of residence:

15) Ethnic identity:

16) Limit you generaly play:

17) Choose a variant/format of poker that you specialize in:

A) NL BSS
      B) NL MSS
      C) NL SSS
      D) FL
      E) SnG
      F) MTT
      G) Other: ______________

18) Estimate roughly, how many thousands of hands you've played online.

19) Estimate roughly, how many SnG's/MTT's you've played online.

20) Your status at PokerStrategy.com:
  • 9 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      1) A
      2) E
      3) 3
      4) 5
      5) 1
      6) 1
      7) 2
      8) 1
      9) 2
      10) Bigger % discount on 3
      11) 9 feel like a bit less of a rip off
      12) Male
      13) 23
      14) Lithuania
      15) Lithuanian
      16) NL50-NL100
      17) A
      18) ~700k - 800k or so
      19) ~700
      20) Bronze obv

Btw, the answer for 3-7 used to be 1 when I was playing higher if it matters
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      1) A
      2) E
      3) 2 (Though I don't see myself paying 150$ from tie :) )
      4) 5
      5) 1
      6) 5 (If I have payed for it beforehand I obviously want the product...)
      7) 2
      8) 1
      9) 1
      10) No difference really, it is about 20$ saving in both. So is it worth to travel 20 minutes (with possible travel expenses) for that is main question for me.
      11) I don't like to sell things with lower price than they are worth so 1 for both. Actually when comparing these two the question 9 would be even lower probability. If value of those stamps has multiplied by 4 then value is probably going to go up even further. Maybe not much, but its still more reason to not sell with low price.
      12) Male
      13) 27
      14) Finland
      16) 30$, 60$
      17) E
      18) Couple hundred in cash games.
      19) ~6000
      20) Platinum currently
    • cpers
      cpers
      Bronze
      :f_biggrin: Wrong thread, I'm even not odd.
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      01) a (dislike this question. I am losing my SB, but calling would lose me more. this is not an intense feeling of loss at all. its just an expectation given what we know).
      02) e
      03) 5
      04) 1
      05) 1
      06) 1
      07) 5
      08) 5
      09) 5
      10) Yes. Question #3 presents a discount representing a larger portion of the smaller item. While its still $20 in #7 the discount represents a smaller portion of the larger item. Its still $20 for 20 minutes, but its different because many people will see it differently.
      11) Yes. In 5 we're being given an offer thats equal to the amount they were worth in 1992. Even if its difficult to find a buyer, selling at a time loss on the original $800 investment is -EV. I'd rather hold them. In #9 we're being offered about 70% of their value and a roughly 230% profit on their original value. Finding buyers is difficult. Investing double our time to find a new opprotunity and increase our expected profits only a little is not worth it. Make the sale.
      12) M
      13) 28 (i think..?)
      14) Canada
      15) Canadian? (ikeed, its Caucasian)
      16) 1/2
      17) FL
      18) 250k
      19) 200
      20) Coach
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      1) a
      2) e
      3) 5
      4) 5
      5) 3
      6) 1
      7) 5
      8) 1
      9) 3
      10) There is no signicant difference. Its $20 for 20 minutes of your time (a pretty good hourly imo).
      11) These items both have the same value this year and I am being offered the same price in both questions, so there is no significant difference. The fact they were different values in the past does not really have an impact and does not neccarily mean they will have a different price in the future. The original value is like a sunk cost of the item, it shouldnt have an impact on your desision.
      12) Male
      13) 19
      14) Canada
      15) I'd prefer not to share on a public forum
      16) 1/2 live (2/5+ when the game is available)
      17) NLBSS
      18) between 1 and 2 million (I have played 1 million in Rush FR alone)
      19) 300 maybe
      20) Bronze
    • adamall
      adamall
      Bronze
      1. A
      2. E
      3. 1
      4. 2
      5. 3
      6. 1
      7. 1
      8. 1
      9. 3

10.There is a significant difference. In question 1 Im buying an umbrella so its probably raining so there is no way I want to dick around in the rain for another 20min for $20.00. In question 2 I went into the store to buy shorts and a shirt, and left buying a skirt. As im not a cross dresser I can only assume its for someone else, and I could not be bothered to waste another 20mins running around for a spontaneuos gift that is not even going to benefit me (for the measly sum of $20 of course).

11. I don't think there is a difference at all. The value something was is irrelevant and I have no emotional attachment to these stamps. Depending on exaclty how hard it was to find a buyer would alow me to decide whether I would take this deal or hold out until someone offered me closer to there actualy worth.

12. Male

13. 24

14. Australia

15. White

16. PLO10

17. G PLO ldo

18. 150k

19. <3k

20. Gold
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      1. A
      2. E
      3. 4
      4. 5
      5. 4
      6. 1
      7. 4
      8. 1
      9. 4
      10. Not for me but I would expect many people to find one as reporting the discount to the relative value of it, as in the % value deduction.

11. Again I don't find one but I know people would be more likely to sell them in case nr 9 because they would have the impression of gaining a 800-250 in this case from the last point of their evaluation.

12.Male

14.Romania

15: Caucasian

16. NL 10-50 sh

17. NL BSS

18. 300-400k

19. <1k

20 Gold
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      Study you're taking part in is about decision-making of professional poker players. In all the following tasks you'll have to imagine some situation. There're no "correct" or "incorrect" answers, choose the answer that fits you better and is closer to your real behavior.
      You'll possibly think there're some similar tasks. Please consider them as separate, not interconnected situations, and don't look back at the answers you've already given.
      Please read the task carefully. In each task you'll be asked to either choose one answer or evaluate some arguement with a scale from 1 to 5 (1 being "absolutely disagree" or "very low probability", and 5 being "absolutely agree" or "very high probability").

1) You're in a small blind. Someone's raised and now you've got to fold, because according to stats and action both call and 3bet aren't a good option to consider. How intense is a feeling that you loose one small blind when you fold?

A) I've got no such feeling.
      B) I've got a feeling of moderate intensity
      C) I've got a feeling of average intensity
      D) I've got a feeling of high intensity
      E) I ultimately feel like that

2) When you started playing today your bankroll was 55 BI. Now, in the middle of a game session, you take a look at the results and you see that you've lost 6 BI. Which of the following answers is the closest to you real feelings at the moment?

A) I feel like my bankroll is 55 BI, I'm not interested in intermediate result.
      B) I feel like my bankroll is 55 BI, but I'll think at my actions more carefully, as I've already lost a bit.
      C) I feel like my bankroll is between 49 and 55 BI, I've got no clear feeling about my bankroll.
      D) I feel like my bankroll is 49 BI, but I'm not going to let my money fly away so easily.
      E) I feel like my bankroll is 49 BI, I'm playing further, but I consider my bankroll 49 BI.

3) You've traveled to a store to buy a new tie and a new umbrella walking stick. Finally, you've picked a $50 umbrella and a $150 tie. When you were about to pay for them, salesman told you that there's another branch of the store 20 min away, where you can buy the same umbrella with a discount for just $30. How likely is that you'll travel to the other store for the umbrella? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5 (here and further it's meant that 1 is low probability and 5 is high probability).

4) During one of you poker room's promotions you've won a ticket to a $100,000 freeroll, in which, in our assumption, there'll be about 5,000 players. You are able to exchange that ticket for a $15 bonus which you can claim at any point. How likely is that you will exchange the ticket? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

5) Imagine that you've inherited a collection of stamps from your remote kinsman. In that collection there're twelve limited edition stamps of decent value. Serious collectors you've consulted with assess them at $1100. In 1992, when those stamps were first issued, they were assessed at $800. You would really want to sell these stamps, and you've spent quite a time looking for a buyer, but buyers for such things are always hard to find. You've met a collector who offered you $800 for the stamps. How likely is that you'll agree to the deal? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

6) In the poker room's VIP store there's a hat with that room logo. It has already been two months since you ordered the hat, and it seems that your parcel was lost. How likely is that you'll order it again? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

7) You've traveled to a store to buy a new shirt and new shorts. Finally, you've picked $50 shorts and a $150 skirt. When you were about to pay for them, salesman told you that there's another branch of the store 20 min away, where you can buy the same skirt with a discount for just $130. How likely is that you'll travel to the other store for the skirt? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

8) During one of you poker room's promotions you've won $15 bonus which you can claim at any point. You are able to exchange that bonus for a ticket to a $100,000 freeroll, in which, in our assumption, there'll be about 5,000 players. How likely is that you will exchange the bonus? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

9) Imagine that you've inherited a collection of stamps from your remote kinsman. In that collection there're twelve limited edition stamps of decent value. Serious collectors you've consulted with assess them at $1100. In 1968, when those stamps were first issued, they were assessed at $250. You would really want to sell these stamps, and you've spent quite a time looking for a buyer, but buyers for such things are always hard to find. You've met a collector who offered you $800 for the stamps. How likely is that you'll agree to the deal? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

10) What do you think, is there a significant difference between questions #3 and #7?
      Explain you answer.

no difference if either way you are buying them both, then you get a 10% discount, not a 40% or vice versa

11) What do you think, is there a significant difference between questions #5 and #9?
      Explain you answer.

bit of a difference in futuristic value, but not by much

Participant information. Please answer some questions about yourself and your experience as onlne poker player. The study is anonymous, but this information is required for statistical reasons.

12) Gender:
      male

13) Age:

14) Country of residence:
      Lithuania

15) Ethnic identity:
      Lithuanian

16) Limit you generaly play:
      NL100

17) Choose a variant/format of poker that you specialize in:

A) NL BSS
      B) NL MSS
      C) NL SSS
      D) FL
      E) SnG
      F) MTT
      G) Other: ______________

18) Estimate roughly, how many thousands of hands you've played online.
      700k-1mil
      19) Estimate roughly, how many SnG's/MTT's you've played online.
      4-5k
      20) Your status at PokerStrategy.com:
      gold
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      #1 A
      #2 E
      #3 1
      #4 5
      #5 3
      #6 1
      #7 1
      #8 1
      #9 3
      #10 Yes. Im less likely to walk 20mins in the rain.
      #11 No. You have the same product for the same price. It doesn't really matter how much it was worth X years ago.
      #12 M
      #13 24
      #14 Slovenia
      #15 Slovenian
      #16 NL100
      #17 NL/PLO SH cash BSS
      #18 800k
      #19 2997
      #20 Gold