Psychological research: version B (topic for answers ONLY)

• MasterAZ
      MasterAZ
      Bronze
      Instructions

Study you're taking part in is about decision-making of professional poker players. In all the following tasks you'll have to imagine some situation. There're no "correct" or "incorrect" answers, choose the answer that fits you better and is closer to your real behavior.
      You'll possibly think there're some similar tasks. Please consider them as separate, not interconnected situations, and don't look back at the answers you've already given.
      Please read the task carefully. In each task you'll be asked to either choose one answer or evaluate some arguement with a scale from 1 to 5 (1 being "absolutely disagree" or "very low probability", and 5 being "absolutely agree" or "very high probability").

1) You're in a small blind. Someone's raised and now you've got to fold, because according to stats and action both call and 3bet aren't a good option to consider. How intense is a feeling that you loose one small blind when you fold?

A) I've got no such feeling.
      B) I've got a feeling of moderate intensity
      C) I've got a feeling of average intensity
      D) I've got a feeling of high intensity
      E) I ultimately feel like that

2) When you started playing today your bankroll was 55 BI. Now, in the middle of a game session, you take a look at the results and you see that you've lost 6 BI. Which of the following answers is the closest to you real feelings at the moment?

A) I feel like my bankroll is 55 BI, I'm not interested in intermediate result.
      B) I feel like my bankroll is 55 BI, but I'll think at my actions more carefully, as I've already lost a bit.
      C) I feel like my bankroll is between 49 and 55 BI, I've got no clear feeling about my bankroll.
      D) I feel like my bankroll is 49 BI, but I'm not going to let my money fly away so easily.
      E) I feel like my bankroll is 49 BI, I'm playing further, but I consider my bankroll 49 BI.

3) You've traveled to a store to buy a new shirt and new shorts. Finally, you've picked $50 shorts and a $150 skirt. When you were about to pay for them, salesman told you that there's another branch of the store 20 min away, where you can buy the same skirt with a discount for just $130. How likely is that you'll travel to the other store for the skirt? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

4) During one of you poker room's promotions you've won $15 bonus which you can claim at any point. You are able to exchange that bonus for a ticket to a $100,000 freeroll, in which, in our assumption, there'll be about 5,000 players. How likely is that you will exchange the bonus? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

5) Imagine that you've inherited a collection of stamps from your remote kinsman. In that collection there're twelve limited edition stamps of decent value. Serious collectors you've consulted with assess them at $1100. In 1968, when those stamps were first issued, they were assessed at $250. You would really want to sell these stamps, and you've spent quite a time looking for a buyer, but buyers for such things are always hard to find. You've met a collector who offered you $800 for the stamps. How likely is that you'll agree to the deal? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

6) In the poker room's VIP store there's a hat with that room logo. It has already been two months since you ordered the hat, and it seems that your parcel was lost. How likely is that you'll order it again? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

7) You've traveled to a store to buy a new tie and a new umbrella walking stick. Finally, you've picked a $50 umbrella and a $150 tie. When you were about to pay for them, salesman told you that there's another branch of the store 20 min away, where you can buy the same umbrella with a discount for just $30. How likely is that you'll travel to the other store for the umbrella? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5 (here and further it's meant that 1 is low probability and 5 is high probability).

8) During one of you poker room's promotions you've won a ticket to a $100,000 freeroll, in which, in our assumption, there'll be about 5,000 players. You are able to exchange that ticket for a $15 bonus which you can claim at any point. How likely is that you will exchange the ticket? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

9) Imagine that you've inherited a collection of stamps from your remote kinsman. In that collection there're twelve limited edition stamps of decent value. Serious collectors you've consulted with assess them at $1100. In 1992, when those stamps were first issued, they were assessed at $800. You would really want to sell these stamps, and you've spent quite a time looking for a buyer, but buyers for such things are always hard to find. You've met a collector who offered you $800 for the stamps. How likely is that you'll agree to the deal? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

10) What do you think, is there a significant difference between questions #3 and #7?
      Explain you answer.

11) What do you think, is there a significant difference between questions #5 and #9?
      Explain you answer.

Participant information. Please answer some questions about yourself and your experience as onlne poker player. The study is anonymous, but this information is required for statistical reasons.

12) Gender:

13) Age:

14) Country of residence:

15) Ethnic identity:

16) Limit you generaly play:

17) Choose a variant/format of poker that you specialize in:

A) NL BSS
      B) NL MSS
      C) NL SSS
      D) FL
      E) SnG
      F) MTT
      G) Other: ______________

18) Estimate roughly, how many thousands of hands you've played online.

19) Estimate roughly, how many SnG's/MTT's you've played online.

20) Your status at PokerStrategy.com:
  • 6 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      1) You're in a small blind. Someone's raised and now you've got to fold, because according to stats and action both call and 3bet aren't a good option to consider. How intense is a feeling that you loose one small blind when you fold?

A) I've got no such feeling. - I don't care about losing my SB - Is that what you mean? Don't quite understand the Question.

2) When you started playing today your bankroll was 55 BI. Now, in the middle of a game session, you take a look at the results and you see that you've lost 6 BI. Which of the following answers is the closest to you real feelings at the moment?

B) I feel like my bankroll is 55 BI, but I'll think at my actions more carefully, as I've already lost a bit.
      C) I feel like my bankroll is between 49 and 55 BI, I've got no clear feeling about my bankroll.
      D) I feel like my bankroll is 49 BI, but I'm not going to let my money fly away so easily.
      E) I feel like my bankroll is 49 BI, I'm playing further, but I consider my bankroll 49 BI.

3) You've traveled to a store to buy a new shirt and new shorts. Finally, you've picked $50 shorts and a $150 skirt. When you were about to pay for them, salesman told you that there's another branch of the store 20 min away, where you can buy the same skirt with a discount for just $130. How likely is that you'll travel to the other store for the skirt? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

4) During one of you poker room's promotions you've won $15 bonus which you can claim at any point. You are able to exchange that bonus for a ticket to a $100,000 freeroll, in which, in our assumption, there'll be about 5,000 players. How likely is that you will exchange the bonus? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

5) Imagine that you've inherited a collection of stamps from your remote kinsman. In that collection there're twelve limited edition stamps of decent value. Serious collectors you've consulted with assess them at $1100. In 1968, when those stamps were first issued, they were assessed at $250. You would really want to sell these stamps, and you've spent quite a time looking for a buyer, but buyers for such things are always hard to find. You've met a collector who offered you $800 for the stamps. How likely is that you'll agree to the deal? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

6) In the poker room's VIP store there's a hat with that room logo. It has already been two months since you ordered the hat, and it seems that your parcel was lost. How likely is that you'll order it again? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

1 I'd request a refund, or a replacement

7) You've traveled to a store to buy a new tie and a new umbrella walking stick. Finally, you've picked a $50 umbrella and a $150 tie. When you were about to pay for them, salesman told you that there's another branch of the store 20 min away, where you can buy the same umbrella with a discount for just $30. How likely is that you'll travel to the other store for the umbrella? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5 (here and further it's meant that 1 is low probability and 5 is high probability).

8) During one of you poker room's promotions you've won a ticket to a $100,000 freeroll, in which, in our assumption, there'll be about 5,000 players. You are able to exchange that ticket for a $15 bonus which you can claim at any point. How likely is that you will exchange the ticket? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

9) Imagine that you've inherited a collection of stamps from your remote kinsman. In that collection there're twelve limited edition stamps of decent value. Serious collectors you've consulted with assess them at $1100. In 1992, when those stamps were first issued, they were assessed at $800. You would really want to sell these stamps, and you've spent quite a time looking for a buyer, but buyers for such things are always hard to find. You've met a collector who offered you $800 for the stamps. How likely is that you'll agree to the deal? Evaluate with a scale from 1 to 5.

10) What do you think, is there a significant difference between questions #3 and #7?
      Explain you answer.

Slightly, The total of each different trip is the same, which also offers the same saving. You have just swapped the expensive item around with the cheaper.

11) What do you think, is there a significant difference between questions #5 and #9?
      Explain you answer.

No, between 1968 and 1992 they rose from $250 up to $800, they are now worth $1100, you just stating the prices at different years.

Participant information. Please answer some questions about yourself and your experience as onlne poker player. The study is anonymous, but this information is required for statistical reasons.

12) Gender: Male

13) Age: 21

14) Country of residence: United Kingdom

15) Ethnic identity: British

16) Limit you generaly play: NL10 / Micro MTT

A) NL BSS
      B) NL MSS
      C) NL SSS
      D) FL
      E) SnG
      F) MTT

20) Your status at PokerStrategy.com: Moderator (Gold If not)
    • FingersMalone
      FingersMalone
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MasterAZ
      Instructions

Please read the task carefully. In each task you'll be asked to either choose one answer or evaluate some arguement with a scale from 1 to 5 (1 being "absolutely disagree" or "very low probability", and 5 being "absolutely agree" or "very high probability").

4 - but I'm wondering why I'm buying a skirt when I wanted a shirt.

Explain you answer.

For me, no, but there may be for some people. It is about the proportion of the discount, i.e $20 from $50 is a higher discount than $20 from $150. It is to see if poker players are likely to act in a way that economists call "rational", i.e. are they more likely than a control group to factor in the total cost of both items or to be influenced by the size of the % discount.

Explain you answer.
      Again, for me no, but some people may feel there is due to the anchoring technique used in the question. If some people are given a number and then asked to make a decision on something that has a numerical element, their exposure to the anchor can influence their response.

12) Gender: M

13) Age: 40

14) Country of residence: UK

15) Ethnic identity: White British

16) Limit you generaly play: 50NL

A) NL BSS
      B) NL MSS
      C) NL SSS
      D) FL
      E) SnG
      F) MTT

18) Estimate roughly, how many thousands of hands you've played online. Mid 7 figures

19) Estimate roughly, how many SnG's/MTT's you've played online. 4k+
      20) Your status at PokerStrategy.com: Diamond
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      Study you're taking part in is about decision-making of professional poker players. In all the following tasks you'll have to imagine some situation. There're no "correct" or "incorrect" answers, choose the answer that fits you better and is closer to your real behavior.
      You'll possibly think there're some similar tasks. Please consider them as separate, not interconnected situations, and don't look back at the answers you've already given.

is it a shirt or a skirt? cuz i don't weak skirts :f_biggrin: on a more serious note, kind of depends on the prices of transport, but prob a 4

srsly, same questions? 4

4 just because it will take much longer for their prices to go up than the 1968s

Explain you answer.

absolutelly no difference, either way you save 20$

Explain you answer.

a small difference in future value, not much otherwise

Participant information. Please answer some questions about yourself and your experience as online poker player. The study is anonymous, but this information is required for statistical reasons.

12) Gender: male

13) Age: 20(almost ;) )

14) Country of residence: Lithuania

15) Ethnic identity: idk, don't rly get the question as i'm not a native english

16) Limit you generally play: NL100 HU

A) NL BSS
      B) NL MSS
      C) NL SSS
      D) FL
      E) SnG
      F) MTT

maybe 700k-1mil

maybe 4-5k total, not sure tho

20) Your status at PokerStrategy.com:[/quote]gold
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze

1 Takes too long to play in a 5000 player tourney :)

Explain you answer.

Yes, that percentage discount is higher on the umbrella and therefore a better choice.

Explain you answer.

#9 Have more vintage. I would wait longer for their appreciation in value.

12) Gender: Male

13) Age: 22

14) Country of residence: Australia

15) Ethnic identity: Caucasian

16) Limit you generaly play: NL10

A) NL BSS
      B) NL MSS
      C) NL SSS
      D) FL
      E) SnG
      F) MTT

20) Your status at PokerStrategy.com: Gold
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MasterAZ
      Instructions

Explain you answer.

Not really. #7 has a bigger % discount but your still only saving $20 either way

Explain you answer.

9 feels like less of a rip off

12) Gender:

Male

13) Age:

14) Country of residence:

England

15) Ethnic identity:

White Irish

16) Limit you generaly play:

NL10

A) NL BSS
      B) NL MSS
      C) NL SSS
      D) FL
      E) SnG
      F) MTT

100-150k

about 200

20) Your status at PokerStrategy.com:

Silver
    • Chocofluffy
      Chocofluffy
      Bronze
      1. A
      2. E
      3. 3 (More often than not go to the other shop but only if time permits/ easy to get to)
      4. 1 (Never exchange)
      5. 2 (Very unlikely, 25%ish off is alot and usually stamps go up in value not down)
      6. 4 (Presuming I am unable to get a free replacement I would be likely to re-order, as if I wanted it the first time I probably still want it)
      7. 3 (Again, pretty likely depending on time/distance and ease of getting there)
      8. 5 (Always exchanging, I play cash games only and suck at tournaments)
      9. 2 (Very Unlikely)
      10. No difference, the total value of the items in each question is $200, and by going to the other store you save $20.
      11. There is a difference in that Question #5's stamps increased value was over a much longer period of time than the stamps in question #9 but overall the difference did not effect my decision greatly enough due to the relatively long time both take to increase in value and that they both are currently gaining value over time not to mention that the collectors price was too low in comparison the evaluation (20-25%).

12. Male
      13. 25
      14. Britain
      15. White
      16. Cash Games, NL25
      17. A - NL BSS
      18. 1 Million, about 50% of that before I started properly trying to study and learn poker.
      19. 100-150?
      20. Gold