Deadbillis

• Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      Hi, I have played poker as a hobbie for 5 years and have played seriously for about a year. This basically means that for four years I played a lot of freerolls and sometimes put $20 into my account and blew it all in half an hour on 10nl (Bankroll Management never entered my mind!). Decided in 2011 to LEARN this game and started reading article, watching vids, and even blogging myself (This helps as you get good feedback from other players and you can also keep track of your play.

I play on a number of sites but play specific games on each site.
      S&G & MTT on Site a
      Short Stack on site b (I have set myself a task to break this with a $50 bankroll).
      Float on other sites (these sites only have bankrolls from Pokerstrategy).

I play virturally every day ranging from 1 - 5 hours and I multi table.
  • 4 replies
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      What is my motivation?

Not such a simple question?

Winning: I've always been very competative so winning is definatly in there but that's not the 'be all & and all'!

Money: I would like to be rich but I've gone 40 years without being well off so don't think that's it! (And so far I am a slightly below 'break even' player and still keep coming back for more).

The thrill: A big NO, I much prefer to take a pot down without a pre flop or flop showdown! I can't even watch when I have to call with AA and know the LAG has something like Q4o!

The Maths: Now this I love! Getting a Th Jh 3s flop whilst holding KQh and working out my odds against 2 players, now this I can do all day. Also working out how much value I can get out of a made hand without spooking the other guy... Yes please.

Improving My game: Well that's why I'm here! Since joining PokerStrategy, I have seen a vast improvment in my game. I'm not just on about my win/loss but also my attitude after a Bad Beat or a Lucky Win. Game theory fasinates me, recognising the different playing styles on a full ring is great fun but 6 months agaon I could not have told the difference between any 2 players.

So in summary, I would say that although Winning and Money are in the mix, for me it's more about always improving my understand of the game and (more importantly) how I play it!
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      Post flop action when holding Top preflop cards but getting an uncomfortable board!

If I'm the preflop raiser (which I usually am), I have no problem with a cont. bet on a flop I've missed and folding to a reraise!

My problem is when I've got a big overpair on a rainbow board and the (pre flop callstation) villian bets big or reraises me allin! I know he's got a 'donk' 2pair or tripped up his pocket 3s but forsome stupid reason I can't let it go!

Another weakness is 'Tilt management' I've watched myself do this but thankfully not too often: Villian sticks me for half my stack with a killer bad beat. Next hand I get AJo 9 times out of 10 I do my whole stack with a stupid push and get called by a monster! Not a massive issue on the ring tables as I multi table so don't have time for a tilt. Mainly do this in MTT (which means I'm out of the game pretty soon after).
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      Tight aggresive play means that you play very few hands (tight) but when you do play a hand you ALWAYs raise (aggressive). Ussually a tight player will only play certain hold cards from cartain positions: Big Pockets Big Suited Ace anywhere, suited connectors, ace and small pockets Cut off or button only!
      By playing this way, you get the best value out of the hands you play, without losing too much money on weak hands!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.