Some questions about SSS (NL10)

• Amirapuato
      Amirapuato
      Bronze
      About 1 month ago, I started playing SSS on PartyPoker, by now I have played about 5000 hands and have completely internalized SSS. But still, there are some situations where I think I may act different to what strategy says...

Situation 1

I have a good hand that isn't in the SHC, lets says A8s, I'm in late position or in the blinds, nobody has limped in, and the table is somewhat tight. Should I try to steal the blinds? If yes, which should be my hand range for stealing? And, should I use the standard 4BB raise for stealing?

Situation 2

I'm in the BB, holding TT, AQ or something in that range. Nobody has limped in, and the CO, BU or SB tries to steal raising 4BB. Should I fold (according to strategy), call or reraise (to try to resteal)? Does this change if I'm in the SB?

Situation 3

I'm in late position or in the blinds, holding a good hand that I should fold if someone raises, and somebody makes a min-raise. Should I fold, call, or reraise?

Situation 4

In what hand range is it correct to complete the SB, if there are, lets say 2/3 limpers?

Situation 5

I raised 5/6 BB holding AK, got called, and completely missed my flop. Villian makes a min-raise on the flop... should I really fold my two overcards (as strategy says), or should I better call or even raise?

Situation 6

Same hand as in situation 4, just that this time I'm holding my 2 overcards and a gutshot on the flop, which gives me 10 outs (better than a flushdraw), should I bet (or raise) as if I had a nice draw?

Situation 7

I got AA-JJ, but the flop comes really drawy (and lets say I'm holding overpair), and I still have 2 or more opponents, which I know won't fold if they have a draw. Should I consider c/f or b/f if I'm first to act? If I'm last to act and have a bet and a raise in front of me, should I still get all-in?

Situation 8

I got freeplay while holding A9, and I hit TPTK on the flop. The board isn't too drawy, but my opponent(s) are actively betting. Should I (re)raise them, or just fold and wait for a better situation?

Thank you in advance, I hope you can help me, because I feel that the few money I'm earning playing SSS, is leaking through that holes.
  • 8 replies
    • Pacer357
      Pacer357
      Bronze
      If you make silver status there are articles that cover some of the principles you are looking for. Don't do it randomly though. Steals and resteals we take up in the gold articles and the only reason for that is that you need stats of your opponents to have an effective steal-resteal game.
      For now the basic articles are enough for making money in the lower levels. And there will be new revised basic SSS articles soon, I don't really know when they will be done, you have to ask SoyCD for that. If you start posting some of the hands that you have questions about you will get some good answers from the excellent coaches.
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      Hi,
      basically I agree with Pacer357,but my friend I can tell you do read our forum,go in coaching and look in video section,you will find all answers. :)
      Sit 1,2
      In low limits often not profitable to blindsteal or defend blinds,many recommends to do it from NL50 with stats,but you can do and if you have reads on opp you should do it(you don`t always need stats if you play with opp long enough).Read sss essays :Essay SSS "blind defense vs. unknown"
      Do not steal blinds from calling stations with big stacks without good hand.You should have TAG sss player image and should do standard raise 4BB (tricky for opp to put you on exact hand)+do it not too much.Stealraising range should be more tight,start from pocket pairs 99+,your target is blindstealer with loose range.
      Sit 3
      Fold or reraise.In this limits minraise you can treat like limp.Minraise means two things-trash or huge hand(do notes on these AA limpers or minraisers).Some opps
      likes minraise than reraise.When such one fires at you you can suspect big hand and fold with minimal loses.
      Sit 4
      Some coaches recommend complete with pocket pairs for set value,Ax suited for flush,suited connectors.If you did not hit,just fold.
      Sit 5
      Why you raising so much with AK?Do standard raise,will be easier to fold when miss :D .In majority of cases you should do as basic strategy says,so fold.But you should know that your opp hit flop 35% of the time and you have some fold equity,so if you have AKs and some backdoor flush possibility,if your opp is adequate ,not calling station,if you have reads,stats you can raise his bet as a bluff.Nice thread about fold equity:
      Fold Equity
      Sit 6
      should reread odds articles.Not always you can count all possible outs,sometimes depending on board structure you should discard some of them.Your straight loses to his flush ,top pair loses to his straight etc. :)
      Sit 7
      If you have overpair and first to act you should defend your made hand and push in most of the time,if he calls with draw you do his pot odds unfavorable to him and his draw do not always materialize.If you last to act +overpair and a clear draw(like 3 from flush) and was bet and raise can consider to fold,can push
      (do what you guts and experience say to you :) ,better according to pot odds and equity).Don`t be afraid to fold AA in right situation.
      Sit 8
      ?? fold,maybe he hit set,can call ??,your top pair can be not top p on turn :D

Post hands in SSS sample hands section and you will get judge evaluation on exact hand,read old posts in this section and you will find almost all situations,go in coaching,see videos and you will plug your holes :D
      Good luck :D
      P.S.this is mho,not the ten commandments.
    • Amirapuato
      Amirapuato
      Bronze
      Thanks for all your answers dallievas, here and in the hands I posted.

Sit 1, 2

Ok, so only stealing or stealraising if I'm almost sure I'm ahead of opponents range.

Sit 3

Thank you, so I'll not have to fold so often to a high VPIP and high PFR player.

Sit 4

Ok, good piece of advise, I was completing way too few.

Sit 5

Sorry, forgotten to tell that I had 1/2 limpers before me, so I had to raise more according to SSS. But as you mention it, maybe it's better to always raise 4 BB, for the case I'll miss my flop...

Sit 6

Ok, I was considering 10 almost clean outs, but my question was already answered by reading other posts.

Sit 7

Ok, was forgetting about defending my overpair against draws, thanks for remembering me.

Sit 8

Exactly, you got the point, mostly I don't have TP anymore on turn, and look pretty bad. I will therefore fold most of time.

Again, just thank you for your time. :D :D
    • caber1
      caber1
      Bronze
      How can you play 5000 hands and still be bronze?

Am I missing something?
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      sit 5
      limpers in front of you changes situation,when 1-3 limpers standard raise 4BB+1BB per limper,if more push. Nice Puschkin81 thread:
      NL SSS sample hands week #2
      P.S my answers can be not always true :D ,only mho
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      As a fellow NL10 SSS player, I can only tell you how I play, be it for better or worse.

Situation 1

I will usually try to steal against shortstacks with low VPIP (handrange in Elephant), and I also use the 'Folded to Steal' stat in Elephant, if it's not 100, I don't risk it. It pays off for me about 90% of the time.

Situation 2

I don't usually try to resteal, I think until I have a bit more experience that is a bit of a minefield.

Situation 3

I'll normally treat a minraise as a limp. As others have mentioned, if you come up against opposition or miss the flop, it's an easy fold if you've only put in 20c.

Situation 4

Same as others have mentioned, you can see the flop cheaply with bigger pocket pairs or suited Aces.

Situation 5

Minraise I would notmally re-raise, if it's any bigger than that I would probably fold.

Situation 6

I rarely play gutshots unless I also have top pair/weak kicker or something similar.

Situation 7

I pretty much always contibet if i'm preflop aggressor.

Situation 8

Freeplays are hard to play usually. TPTK is not really a good hand to freeplay. I will usually fold unless I have 2pair or trips.
    • Amirapuato
      Amirapuato
      Bronze
      caber 1:

Got the problem that I first tried out PartyPoker, before knowing about PS, now I have a BR of about 20 USD on Party, while the 50 USD from PS are safely (and untouched) on Titan. If something goes wrong on Party, or once I hit the 100 USD mark, I'll switch to Titan for a while.

dallievas:

Why should I raise more having limpers? (I know, because SSS says so...) For increasing the EV if they call? Or the fold equity? Because it often happens to me that I have to raise a lot prefolp, or even push (as the article says) with hands like AK, AQ, AJ, 99, 88, 77, but if I get more than 1 caller, things look dark to me. :evil:

xponentx:

Thank you, hope it will be for better. :D
    • LeStegeRoyal
      LeStegeRoyal
      Basic
      You raise more if there is limpers in the hand because if you don't you give your opponents to good odds to call. If 3 players limp and you make it 4bb there is 8,5bb in the pot and it only costs the limpers or the big blind 3 more blinds to call giving them 3:8,5 in odds (1:2,8). With this play it would often be correct for them to call. If you make it 7bb there would be 11,5bb in the pot costing them 6bb to call or 6:11,5 (1:1,9). There is a huge differens in odds here and if your opponents choose to call you don't want their calls to be correct.
      And if you play SSS you don't want to play big pots against many opponent which you will if you don't raise bigger. This will only increase your variance.