[NL2-NL10] Shove on the flop itself

• maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      I cannot explain why I played this hand this way, I just played it followed by gut if you will.
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

BB: $9.72 (97.2 bb)
      MP: $8.15 (81.5 bb)
      CO: $9.85 (98.5 bb)
      BTN: $18.69 (186.9 bb) 38/30/2.7/14.3/42/141
      Hero (SB): $10.32 (103.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J K
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $1, BB folds, BTN calls $0.70

He has quite an open range so I guess a 3-Bet was in order. He also steals a lot (50% from the BU).

Flop: ($2.10) 6 Q T (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.30, BTN raises to $3.40, Hero calls $2.10

Pretty sweet flop. OESD and backdoor flush draw. I have initiative so I go ahead and C-Bet and he raises. He raises C-Bets 20% of the time. I think I have a good draw, 9 outs so I call. Against such a loose aggressive opponent I think I should have shoved on the flop itself.

Turn: ($8.90) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.92 and is all-in, BTN folds

Turn doesn't help me but I don't think it helps him either. I had him figured for a Q pair or over-cards or some other pocket pair and he was perhaps trying to push his luck with. I have no idea why I shoved here and I was not tilting at all. I figured that he's definitely gonna raise here if I check so I might as well bet myself cause I could have some fold equity. He could think I have a set or something like that since I would try to protect/value bet my hand here against draws I guess. I convinced myself to shove and I did and I got lucky that he folded.

So in hindsight I think I should have shoved on the flop itself cause I'd have more equity there compared to turn and he is very aggressive so he could be bull shitting meaning I have more fold equity.

Results: $8.90 pot ($0.40 rake)
      Final Board: 6 Q T 8
      BTN mucked and lost (-$4.40 net)
      Hero mucked J K and won $8.50 ($4.10 net)
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello maheepsangari,

Preflop: Not sure either to 3bet it or not. Depends a lot how often he folds to 3bet and based on that I would make my 3bet. Either we are able to make it for value, either we try to gain fold equity or what's your plan.

As played
      Postflop: Don't like your line at all! Rather get it on the flop if you think he is raising loose, why you calling the flop and then shipping the turn? Just giving away free cards for him.

Best Regards.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Fold to 3-Bet 33%(6). So I guess not a good spot to 3-Bet since I'm 3-Betting to gain fold equity and not value.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by maheepsangari
      Fold to 3-Bet 33%(6). So I guess not a good spot to 3-Bet since I'm 3-Betting to gain fold equity and not value.
      Well, if you think he could be a calling with a lot worse Jx/Kx hands then we might do it for value but you might just make too many mistakes postflop. So therefore we could also even flat there depending on the BB and your postflop skills.