Balltas

• Balltas
      Balltas
      Bronze
      Hello.

My name is Marius. I have been playing poker online 3 and a half years. I have learn few things I guess and my ROI% is positive: about 13% I have been playing 0,02 / 0,04 cash games casue my bankroll is about 100$. Also I play sngs and DoNs maximum of 5.5$ but recently I moved down in limits to 3.45$. I work in web development company and poker is the game just for fun to me now but I look forward to get better and maybe some day I will be a proffesional poker player. There are many things to learn.

I have a question. where can I find lessons and homeworks?
  • 6 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck Balltas,

Hopefully you will enjoy around here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, we will be around for you. Meanwhile good luck on tables, we will be waiting for your homework.

You can now start with your 1st Lesson:
      Lesson #1

The whole course plan:
      Overview of Beginners Course

Best Regards.
    • Balltas
      Balltas
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      1) winning. ITs very good feeling and its fun.
      2) making money
      3) learning to play better

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      My biggest weakness is to get angry when I loose especially if I make a good desition. I often quick playing for a week if I get very unlucky untill motivation for playing comes back. I know I have few leaks when playing for exaple I dont ever protect my big blind.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Tight means play only few but strong hands.
      agresive means bet and raise, pasive means call.
      I know there is a factor called Agresion factor. ITs calculated like bets+ raises / calls. and mine is about 5.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Being angry is definitely not only your problem, other words we can also Call it tilt. Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Also there are some other aspects what we can use to get more stronger and more confident in our game is of course getting more experience in the game. The more beats you get the more bad runs you get the stronger you will become, you will start understanding that it's just part of the game. And of course usually try also to remind yourself that anger doesn't solve the problem.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • Balltas
      Balltas
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

1) I would sometimes CALL instead of raise with AK if there is a raiser in early position AND I got position on him.
      2) with JJ ok TT I would reraise a loose player.
      3) 99 - 22 I would limp from early position and play call20 if I get raised.
      4) I would open raise with AQ from early position. and maby call with AQ, AJ a raiser depending on player tipe and position.
      5) with suted facecards I would call if there are many callers.

HW not done yet.
      I will post other answers later.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Okey, could you also post something that you updated your thread. :) Like homework updated.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Hey Balltas, I am also working in web industry. How is it going to mix both things to you - study, play poker and study, work at web development job? Do you read something about web development on your free time to get better?

People say that if you don't update your knowlegde in web development, it will be the same as in poker - you get worse than your competitors.

The biggest problem is time, plus I get tired during work day, so often just want to lay down and watch movie instead of studying something.