[NL2-NL10] NL2 AKo

• KiroLiro
      KiroLiro
      Bronze
      Hello.

Here was a hand that I had no idea how to play. Perhaps the villan was just going on a random spree, but I can't help but to keep thinking I let some money get away. Villan is 15/3.

My thoughts on the hand. Early limp and cold call to my raise is a common move. He check raises me on the flop. My thinking is I hold the ace of heart, so I should be somewhat safe versus flush draws. Plus my own gut shot means perhaps I can 3bet him, to scare him off his draws. He then proceeds to 4 bet me, and I now realize it probably signals a set (at the time, all I could think of was why would be 4bet a draw). Now that I think about it, that's probably what happened. Easy fold? And was my 3bet too small?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $2.10
      UTG1:
      $2.02
      UTG2:
      $1.53
      MP1:
      $2.22
      MP2:
      $4.67
      MP3:
      $2.06
      CO:
      $1.00
      BU (Hero):
      $4.12
      SB:
      $3.49

Preflop: Hero is BU with K, A.
      UTG1 calls $0.02, UTG2 calls $0.02, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, 2 folds, UTG1 calls $0.10, UTG2 folds.

Flop: ($0.29) T, 6, J (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $0.14, UTG1 raises to $0.28, Hero raises to $0.42, UTG1 raises to $0.77, Hero folds, UTG1 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.71.
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello KiroLiro,

Welcome to the NL Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

First mistake which is done is your CB size which just induces him to raise against you. But otherwise I don't like the 3bet at all and neither the size. You have a leak in your raise sizes. You should rather just fold to the raise on flop.

Best Regards.
    • KiroLiro
      KiroLiro
      Bronze
      Hi, thanks for the warm welcome. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Can I ask whats wrong with the continuation bet? It approximately 1/2 the pot, and contiuation bets are 1/2 - 2/3 are they not? And I suppose with just over card, a fold to raise is one strategy. Does the fact that it was a min raise mean anything?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by KiroLiro
      Hi, thanks for the warm welcome. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Can I ask whats wrong with the continuation bet? It approximately 1/2 the pot, and contiuation bets are 1/2 - 2/3 are they not? And I suppose with just over card, a fold to raise is one strategy. Does the fact that it was a min raise mean anything?
      Well, would be nice if you would have shown me in which article you read about 1/2 pot size bet for CB. :) And nope, they ain't.
    • KiroLiro
      KiroLiro
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz

In particular, the two times I can find where they're mentioned are here

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1565/2/
      ...."Your bet should always be between 1/2 and the full size of the pot"...

and here

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1585/1/
      where they use examples of c-bets between 1/2 to pot size.

For a while I was c-betting 2/3, but I found that I was consistently losing money. I've since switched to 1/2 and seem to find that works out well for me.

Would you recommend I switch to 2/3 c-bets?

And thank you for spending so much time on this topic with me =) I really appreciate it.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      On very draw-heavy boards we want to protect our hand and also to avoid him bluffing against us while he could see weakness in our Bet size rather make a 2/3 pot size bet. :) Plus of course you have bigger fold equity by betting bigger.