Poker and marijuana

• HansTheGreat
      HansTheGreat
      Bronze
      Hey people,

I just was kinda wondering why is such a big relationship between poker and getting high, at least in my country. I would love to see the opinion of Dutch people since they can speak freely. All my friends are trying to convience me that they play better when they smoke one. Do not most people say that it is hard to achieve your A-game. The funny think is the some of them actually did help won a MTT for 10000$ and he is sure he won it just because he had enough pot left. :s_biggrin: Overall myself I dont play my A-game dont use it but I was wondering what do you people think are poker games in a relashionship with weed?
  • 11 replies
    • z1pz0r
      z1pz0r
      Bronze
      I have a friend who says the same. He plays NL2 and is break-even so I wouldn't exactly take his word for it.

But IMO if you can only play good poker under weed you have mindset problems.
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Marijuana is a drug that relaxes you and your nervous system overall.....It won't make you more focus and it won't help you win, it might only bother you. (Well I guess if you are a really stressed out person, it could help you overcome tilt) People who won with pot already knew poker well enough so that they could of won without it and it was only a total coincidence that they did while smoking.

If you really want a drug that enhances your focusing abilities, try amphetamines or methylphenidate(Ritalin), but really, you shouldn't do it. Just enjoy every moment you can play poker in a lucid way :) .
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by stevegold87
      Marijuana is a drug that relaxes you and your nervous system overall....
      This is the reason why I actually thought it would help someone, for example someone who is very very nit (like myself) would maybe feel more relaxed and click the "raise" button more often with pretty hands like 89s...

I dunno though.. I'll ask my Dutch colleagues to pop by :)
      Bronze
      I wanted to make a thread on this a couple of weeks ago but in fear of rejection by the community decided to refrain from doing that :)

Anyway – what I have noticed is that it helps snap out of auto-piloting, adds a lot of creativity to my game (for better or for worse) and certainly improves my durability (I can literally play for hours straight just because it is so incredibly interesting).

All in all, I think it is definitely worth giving a shot a couple of times, just for the experience – you are rather likely to gain a new perspective of the game, well, at least I did. However, I wouldn't overdo it because you are likely to become disillusioned about how good you play as basically everything you do seems godlike when you're high from the good old weed.

And most importantly: don't get pot-committed!
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze

lol, well played.

Well you see Ingrid, I think the problem is that you have a "I don't care" feeling. Anyways, that's what happens to me when I play high or drunk. I just end up bored of waiting for cards and I find myself doing silly stuff because I think it will work. That could just be me....
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze

lol, well played.

Well you see Ingrid, I think the problem is that you have a "I don't care" feeling.
      Yeah which is true, I just meant maybe a player would get a bit more confidence by "not caring too much". I don't advise to use drugs though :)
    • HansTheGreat
      HansTheGreat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      I wanted to make a thread on this a couple of weeks ago but in fear of rejection by the community decided to refrain from doing that :)

Anyway – what I have noticed is that it helps snap out of auto-piloting, adds a lot of creativity to my game (for better or for worse) and certainly improves my durability (I can literally play for hours straight just because it is so incredibly interesting).

All in all, I think it is definitely worth giving a shot a couple of times, just for the experience – you are rather likely to gain a new perspective of the game, well, at least I did. However, I wouldn't overdo it because you are likely to become disillusioned about how good you play as basically everything you do seems godlike when you're high from the good old weed.

The point is that they survive tilt due to pot. Whenever they feel like they are on tilt they smoke on. I would agree Avatars with you mostly that I sometimes make so stupid mistakes that the next day I think to myself did I played this. On the other side I make much creative moves which some end in the category great some in stupid. Is it just my friends but I have a feeling like they it is not that fun playing poker without Proud Mary, at least in the students life. Is this also in your countries where Mary is not legalized?
      Bronze
      Let us start a heated discussion on marijuana and its legal status? I mean, come on folks, sooner or later this thread is just going to turn into a battlefield anyway :)
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IngridN
      Marijuana is a drug that relaxes you and your nervous system overall....
      This is the reason why I actually thought it would help someone, for example someone who is very very nit (like myself) would maybe feel more relaxed and click the "raise" button more often with pretty hands like 89s...

I dunno though.. I'll ask my Dutch colleagues to pop by :)
      alcohol does this for me, a little too much. (I've heard) pot allows one to focus on one task for a longer time, but messes with your short term memory. IMO the best reads come from empathy drugs such as MDMA.
    • erptech
      erptech
      Platinum
      I think that only someone who smokes frequently can play "better", but thats only because they are used to relaxing themselves in that way...
      For example, my friend plays really solid and creative game while high, but that's how he does everything in life. High.
      Overall I doubt that weed gives you magical focusing powers, perhaps some mental stability for long term users.

Also I noticed that his focus does peak for 45 min into session, but after he plays much worse/tiltier game than in his sober state.

But what I think is one good thing about it is that under the influence you certainly do some things differently and you could potentially come to some realisations about your poker game, it opens your mind to new ideas so to say.

At best it helps you in this way, and I mean results wise, you're not so preocupied with bankroll:

• Coffisen
      Coffisen
      Bronze
      hehe, blaze it up. I only like to watch family guy when im smoking, poker req. lots of brain activity ^^

But ye, like someone said, if u want to want to RLY progress with "brain boosting" stuffs, there is Ritalin for example, but when it gets out of your system you feel like shit... (not when taking vry small doses ofc)
      MDMA or LSD is the way to go and get creative with :P