[NL2-NL10] Daphunks one hand quiz. NL4 KJ Flop Top Pair on Scary flop! What to do?

• DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Gerv please don't judge this instantly, I want to see what people reading this hand think about this spot. Thanks.

Hi there, was teaching my gf some poker basics and thought it would be fun to play a session with her. I think that this i an interesting hand we played by the starting strategy for some beginners to look at. Would you play it differently?

Its a spot where I think you can feel torn between different options so I'll come out with one or two. Pick one and tell me why you think this is the best play.

IPoker Network $4.00 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $7.58
      SB: $5.96
      BB: $5.00
      UTG: $8.32
      UTG+1: $1.22
      UTG+2: $3.08
      MP1: $1.22
      MP2: $5.42
      Hero (CO): $1.40

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero is CO with K :diamond: J :heart:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.14, 2 folds, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.30) K :club: 2 :club: 4 :club: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.22, Hero calls $0.22

Turn: ($0.74) A :heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.74, Hero folds

If you know about stats, the villain is a 38/8 player who has 3.2AF and has donkbet 5/7 times.

Here are my options;

a) Raise flop, go all in.

b) Fold turn.

c) Call turn.

d) Raise turn.

Please try and make a guess at the cards villain might be doing this with and what he'll call with. Why are we taking the line we do?
  • 5 replies
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Guess no-one reads this part of the forum anymore?
    • JohnDoe1313
      JohnDoe1313
      Platinum
      Hello.

Since BB seems loose, a) is the best play in my opinion, because we get max value out of his A:club: x, some weaker Kx, or Q:club: x, combo draws like pair and flush draw.

Turn is pretty ugly spot. We can't just call turn with our stack size left. I would still push it, because there are more Kx, flush draw combinations than Ax ones.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Thanks for responding John. So you think Villain can raise a large number of worse hands to ours if he says our play on this very scary looking board?

I realise I forgot to include an option to make a miniraise (say to $0.35 or $0.4) and fold if Villain shoves, in order that we can make a shove on the turn and we can get max value out of his draws. That idea feels a little like fancy play syndrome to me though.
    • JohnDoe1313
      JohnDoe1313
      Platinum
      You are right, if we get 4bet on flop, we are probably behind. Still, I see too many draws in his range, so I wouldn't minraise to give him nice prize. What do you think about shoving it directly on flop? Our raise should be around $0,7 and that's more than half of our stack left. I see him calling with worse
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      If he donks a lot, then you are forced to shove this Flop because raising small & shove turn just gives him the implied odds and/or the turncard to draw out on you

Calling is marginal too because you are mostly ahead rather than behind

Best regards,
      Gerv