[NL2-NL10] NL4, AKo. Ideal Squeeze vs Early Position Openraise

• DaPhunk
      Sorry, this kind of turned into a bit of a strategy post by me. Its kind of long so bear with me. Feel free to move it into a different section of the forum if this is the wrong place for it.

Hello there. I played a short session of MSS yesterday for the first time and thought this might be a good hand to show some beginners just starting to use a HUD a slight deviation from the basic 3-betting chart.

Here is the hand;

IPoker Network $4.00 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (BTN): $1.91
      SB: $1.43
      BB: $0.88
      UTG: $5.00
      UTG+1: $5.06
      MP1: $0.93
      MP2: $9.03
      CO: $5.00

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero is BTN with A :spade: K :diamond:
      UTG raises to $0.14, 3 folds, CO calls $0.14, Hero raises to $0.56, 4 folds

Now, the positional statistics I have on the Open-raiser from a 200 hand sample look like this;

and the caller is a 14/12 player based on 279 hands.

Now to explain; The Basic 3-betting chart shows AK as not being a suitable hand to 3bet versus a UTG raiser. However, in this case not only are we a very long way ahead of his opening-range (test AK vs 12 to 14% range in the equilator) but we also have an additional caller!

This is called a Squeeze spot and we have an excellent opportunity to pick up a little bit of extra money from the additional caller. Lets think about the players individually for a moment here;

The UTG Openraiser;
      Imagine we are in his position, we raise 22+ KJs+ A9s+ AQo+. A player calls us on CO and then a Midstack raises! Maybe he's tight and playing MSS, maybe not, but now we have the extra worry of the caller to think of. Maybe he slow-played maybe he didn't, at any rate its extra motivation for us to fold anything below QQ or JJ, AKs. Maybe we play even tighter.

In this instance we are just forced to fold 90% of our range!

The CO Caller
      Now imagine we are on the CO. We can have a marginal hand we would like to play because we can take the UTG raisers money if we hit. Maybe we slowplay one or two high pairs, but its unlikely. Our range might look like this;

Not much in that range we're looking to call is there? A player behind us just raised not one but Two players and we do not have a good hand-range. Unless we slow-played a Monster or think this Mid-stack can 3bet far too much we're almost definitely folding here!

The Synopsis;
      Things may seem to be getting a little bit complicated here and personally I don't like to over-use techniques like this. You need to make sure you are playing against the right people to do this and if abused villains can widen their shoving ranges against you. However, I felt like It would be nice to show some of you who are maybe at the beginner or beginner/intermediate levels what can be possible in the future.

The nice thing about doing it with AK when we wouldn't before is that we can be happy to go All-in with our half-stack vs these players and we can also hit a nice hand post-flop should they call, since its at the top of our previous non-3betting range.

Hands I would recommend for a move like this;
      • NOT complete trash. Just fold 72o
      • If you play BSS NOT a hand from the bottom 2/3rds of your calling range you over-rep by 3-betting
      • Hands near the top of your calling range you may have otherwise folded can semi-bluff 3-bet here. Eg, AJs, AQs maybe even KQs.
      • Suited hands just below your calling range can make good semi-bluffs, it is still possible to hit a good hand.

Who should you do this against;
      • If you have weaker hands, do NOT squeeze calling stations and maniacs who never fold. It will end up being -ev
      • Players who have a high fold to 3bet can be great to try this against.
      • Nits who don't raise enough hands. Be careful! Don't Squeeze if their range is JJ+ and AKs
      • Don't forget about the caller. If you know he traps his monsters or calls raises anyway, you need to be more careful!

If you managed to read this far; Well done!

- DaPhunk
  • 3 replies
    • JohnDoe1313
      Nice post, thanks for sharing :f_thumbsup:
    • Gerv
      Yes if one uses statistics during their play, it is recommended to deviate as soon as possible from the chart.

For instance during my Sunday's Coaching, I tend to deviate when I see specific stats that forces me to play differently

I think the post is well written and very clear to understand which is fundamental as people have to understand it why we are deviating

Best regards,
    • DaPhunk
      @Thanks JohnDoe :) I appreciate your comment.

@Thanks Gerv. Hope everything is still good with you, I see you learnt BSS and Omahahaha :) Shame I'm not Diamond anymore could have been fun to catch up at a Diamond party or something. (like the one in London just after I fly home across the Atlantic)