Learning ICM with just the Trainer

• legaldrugdealer
      legaldrugdealer
      Bronze
      I'm a little frustrated right now. I'm not able to get my $50 starting capital as yet because I think I read somewhere that you have to play a certain amount within a certain period of time to unlock all the money. Since I'm in school, I'm waiting for summer to start so I can at least have the time to unlock the full amount. In the meantime, I'm trying to learn as much as possible, but I'm unable to because I don't have access to most articles.

As of now, I'm just playing freerolls, and using the money I win from there in order to play the "Steps" promotion on Poker770. The Steps Promotion consists of lots of SNGs, so naturally, I want to learn things like ICM to maximize my chances of getting to Step 7.

The problem is that I'm only using the ICM Trainer Light to do this. But with no understanding of how to actually use ICM, I'm just getting a "feeling" for when to push all in, and when to fold. I'm pretty sure that there are certain rules for what your range for pushing is at different times. What are those rules? And if I can't find articles on this site, where else can I learn about it?

TBH, ICM Trainer Light is useless unless you use it as a test for how you are implementing the certain rules. Otherwise, you're just getting a feeling of when to push and when to fold. And I'd rather use something more substantial than "feelings" in poker.
  • 1 reply
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Try using ICM Trainer instead of ICM Trainer Light. They are very different.

It is very ambitious to aim for a step 7 win from freerolls. You will not get enough good feedback along the way. Try playing microstakes SNGs instead.