CO: $10 (100 bb)
      BTN: $19.35 (193.5 bb)
      SB: $5.41 (54.1 bb)
      BB: $11.80 (118 bb) 21/15/16.0/0.0/33/34

Preflop: Hero is MP with K K
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.40, 3 folds, BB calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.85) K 8 A (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.60, BB raises to $2.10, Hero calls $1.50

Ok so I got a little creative here. Ideally I would just 3-Bet and shove in this situation but I thought that this guy seems to be fine by his stats. He wouldn't Check/Raise me with a flush draw so he either has a monster or is trying to bluff. Monster he could have would be a set or two pair, or even a freaking Ax, but Ax would be less likely for a check/raise. So in effect,

If he has a monster it won't be difficult to play for stacks at a later street as well cause he will continue to be aggressive.

If he's bluffing he'll fold to my 3-Bet and no more value. However if I call and play passive now he might try to bluff again.

Turn: ($5.05) 4 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

He checks and I check behind. Now I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a flush since he didn't bet for value, he would have if he had a made flush. The third :diamond: could have scared him and I think if I raise here he'll fold since I could represent a flush. So I check behind to induce a bet. I have the nut flush draw now and the second best set so I thought a free card wouldn't harm him.

River: ($5.05) 5 (2 players)
      BB bets $2.60, Hero calls $2.60

On the river he leads out with a decent bet size as I expected and hoped for. I don't remember why I just called. I think maybe because I was successful with what I wanted, to induce a bet from him. I still thought that he had a two pair or perhaps a set but no flush. So perhaps if I raise he'll fold and if by the slightest chance he even has a flush I'll look like an idiot raising there on the river. :D So overall whats the verdict?
  • 4 replies
    • numbnutter
      numbnutter
      Bronze
      Don't really like this line at all. I don't agree with you that he never has a flushdraw here, and also don't agree that he has bluffs too often. This is a terrible board for bluffing as you will have an ace or king pretty often and he can't really represent much. Also if he's attempting a bluff and you call here how many more streets do you think he will be likely to continue barreling for? If you call on such a board it's pretty obvious you have something - and given your MP opening range and the fact that the Ad is on the board this is leaning more towards made hands than draws.

3 betting is pretty much always going to be the best line here I think. If he has the flushdraw he won't pay you much more unless he hits, and if he has a monster and the flush does come in he probably won't pay you much either. There's also plenty of hands he can stack off with: A8, AK, 88, QdJd, QdTd, maybe even some bare flushdraws if he's in a gambling mood.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Originally posted by numbnutter
      Don't really like this line at all. I don't agree with you that he never has a flushdraw here, and also don't agree that he has bluffs too often. This is a terrible board for bluffing as you will have an ace or king pretty often and he can't really represent much. Also if he's attempting a bluff and you call here how many more streets do you think he will be likely to continue barreling for? If you call on such a board it's pretty obvious you have something - and given your MP opening range and the fact that the Ad is on the board this is leaning more towards made hands than draws.

3 betting is pretty much always going to be the best line here I think. If he has the flushdraw he won't pay you much more unless he hits, and if he has a monster and the flush does come in he probably won't pay you much either. There's also plenty of hands he can stack off with: A8, AK, 88, QdJd, QdTd, maybe even some bare flushdraws if he's in a gambling mood.
      Yeah well ideally I would 3-Bet like I said and this board is definitely crying for protection and you're also right that this board would be very difficult to bluff on so he has to have a big hand that he's be ready to go all in with on the flop itself so best to get it in when I have the best of it and when he's holding on to something too. Maybe not the best place to try this line. :D

Say, the 8 on the flop was anything but a :diamond: . Then what do you think of this line?
    • numbnutter
      numbnutter
      Bronze
      Originally posted by maheepsangari

Yeah well ideally I would 3-Bet like I said and this board is definitely crying for protection and you're also right that this board would be very difficult to bluff on so he has to have a big hand that he's be ready to go all in with on the flop itself so best to get it in when I have the best of it and when he's holding on to something too. Maybe not the best place to try this line. :D

Say, the 8 on the flop was anything but a :diamond: . Then what do you think of this line?
      Yep, on drier flops you can certainly slowplay it in such a way and extract more value from 2-pair type hands if you think he wouldn't stack off with these on the flop. I still wouldn't expect to see too many bluffs from him though on a board that smacks your range so hard.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello maheepsangari,

I would just 3bet it right on the flop and protect my hand, there are still couple of draws from we need protection and he is most likely going broke with an Ace anyways. :) But otherwise not much to comment on turn & river, we can't really fold for the given play we made.

Best Regards.