Preflop: Hero is CO with 8 8
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.35, Hero calls $0.35, 3 folds

Flop: ($0.85) 3 4 8 (2 players)
      MP bets $0.44, Hero calls $0.44

Turn: ($1.73) K (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.73) 6 (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $1, MP calls $1

Should I just check behind on the river? He doesn't have a flush that I'm sure of now, why will he check 2 streets if he does have one. Now when I look back, if he raises me I'll be in trouble and will have to fold(however I don't see him raising much with) and I don't see a lot of cards calling me here, perhaps an overpair or Kx combination that wouldn't bet but might call a bet.
  • 4 replies
    • numbnutter
      numbnutter
      Bronze
      I think I would just raise the flop and try to get all the money in asap. He doesn't have the flush all that often (assuming a standard MP opening range for this limit you're basically looking at AdKd-AdTd and KdQd-KdJd, with maybe some smaller Ax from time to time) - but you might still get him to stack off with overpairs (especially stuff like AdAx or KdKx) and even overcards with Ad or Kd from time to time. Plus of course any worse sets that he might have. Also even if you do get it in behind you still have a decent number of outs to your FH.

As played though I think you do have a valuebet on the river there. As you said he probably doesn't check two streets with the flush, but there's all kinds of stuff he can call with: any Kx and any flopped overpair (99+). Maybe even A high from time to time if he thinks you're betting a busted flushdraw.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      What are your thoughts on his bet size on the flop?
    • numbnutter
      numbnutter
      Bronze
      Originally posted by maheepsangari
      What are your thoughts on his bet size on the flop?
      Definitely doesn't indicate a strong made hand there in my opinion. I would expect to see stuff like overcards with a diamond or weak pockets pretty often.
      Sometimes he might bet like that with the pure nuts but if he wants to induce it probably makes more sense to check/call or check/raise in such a spot.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello maheepsangari,

Raise the flop and protect your hand, his Bet size could indicate to a block-bet as for a draw. :) Otherwise definitely Bet the turn and of course river for value.

Best Regards.