MP: $5.05 (50.5 bb)
      CO: $14.25 (142.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2 A
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.60) 9 6 A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.40) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.90, BB raises to $1.80, Hero calls $0.90

ShouldI really fold here? Any Ax combination beats me. His raise size was just so pathetic that I went ahead and called cause of the odds he gave me.

River: ($5) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $2.77, Hero raises to $7.50 and is all-in, BB folds
  • 5 replies
    • numbnutter
      numbnutter
      Bronze
      Tricky spot - it's a decent card for him to play back on since it's pretty likely you don't have an ace any more, but as you said if he has any other ace here he's ahead. The raise makes me think he's full of shit more often than not - why would he raise here with a set or ace when he can easily let you bluff again on the river and raise you there?
      The tricky part comes on the river - he's gonna be betting again here every time. Do you think you can call him if you don't make the full house? If not then you might as well just fold it on the turn.

Alternatively - you can pick a different line here to avoid such spots. Betting the turn probably isn't your best option since what worse hands will call you? As you said any other Ax beats you and there aren't really any credible draws out there except 78. Why not check/call the turn instead? This gets you maximum value from his bluffs - it's a pretty common spot to float - and means you lose the least from his better Ax or sets. It will also make it easier to call a river bet since the pot will be much smaller and he will have more bluffs in his range.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Originally posted by numbnutter
      Tricky spot - it's a decent card for him to play back on since it's pretty likely you don't have an ace any more, but as you said if he has any other ace here he's ahead. The raise makes me think he's full of shit more often than not - why would he raise here with a set or ace when he can easily let you bluff again on the river and raise you there?
      The tricky part comes on the river - he's gonna be betting again here every time. Do you think you can call him if you don't make the full house? If not then you might as well just fold it on the turn.

Alternatively - you can pick a different line here to avoid such spots. Betting the turn probably isn't your best option since what worse hands will call you? As you said any other Ax beats you and there aren't really any credible draws out there except 78. Why not check/call the turn instead? This gets you maximum value from his bluffs - it's a pretty common spot to float - and means you lose the least from his better Ax or sets. It will also make it easier to call a river bet since the pot will be much smaller and he will have more bluffs in his range.
      Yup like your idea of floating and trying to keep the pot small.

I think whats lacking in my game right now is that when i bet I'm not really thinking what range will the opponent call me with cause I get the same response for most of the hands that I post,"what hands do you think will call you?" :D . I think its time I start playing slower and assess the game more while in a hand. Usually I'm just firing away with a made hand without really thinking much as to what he'll have and what he'll call me with, raise me with etc.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello maheepsangari,

You should already ask on the turn if you get 3 streets of value from him. :) If rather not then Check the turn and induce him to bluff and at the same time avoid raising vs you.

But as played for the given odds it's difficult to fold but what's your plan if he for example bets big on river and you don't hit? :) Can you still get away?

Best Regards.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello maheepsangari,

You should already ask on the turn if you get 3 streets of value from him. :) If rather not then Check the turn and induce him to bluff and at the same time avoid raising vs you.

But as played for the given odds it's difficult to fold but what's your plan if he for example bets big on river and you don't hit? :) Can you still get away?

Best Regards.
      If I hadn't hit I'd fold on the river since I had invested a quarter of my stack so far and I don't really seem myself that committed and if he bets big on the river he definitely has a better ace so time to fold. Had he raised bigger on the turn I would have let go of my hand right there right then.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Yep, that's most likely the plan. And for that given reason we might even turn our hand into bluff-catcher on the turn.