I must lose to start playing correctly

• EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      Hello all ! When i start playing a session usually i lose 2-3 buy-ins and then i start playing correctly and get them back.How can i avoid this ? I oveplay some hands and make bad calls.This happens i think because i 've seen so many unbelievable plays by some opponents which make me call for example a reraise with top-pair kicker.I play nl5 now.I try to fix my leaks and i 've found many of them.
      The thing i don't understand is why i do the same mistakes ,which i know they are mistakes, again.

Thanks for the replies.
  • 4 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hi there :)

To be honest i can't tell you why you make the same mistakes time and time again that is something you need to work out for yourself. It is a good sign that you know you are making mistakes though it takes some players a lifetime to realise and they stay losing players forever.

I remember years ago i used to make stupid hero calls with my thought process something like "damn i knew he was gonna put me all in here but if i fold im gonna look weak and they will all do it to me next time, i still have 2nd pair i could be good lets see" and all the time i knew i was making huge mistakes but i remember at the time thinking that its weak to fold. :f_cool:

Do you post hands regularly in the hand eval forums?

Just stick to simple ABC poker at micros get as much money in the pot as you can with big hands and stay out of as many marginal spots as you can until you feel comfortable opening up your range.

Watch plenty of videos too so you can see all the lessons taught here being put into practice, this really helps imo because it lets you see that it really does work to play like this,

Next time your making a top pair call even though you think you are beat stop the session immediately, open notepad or whatever and write down exactly what you were thinking as you played the hand on each street and why you made the call. This might help you figure out why you are doing it and how to stop doing it :)

Regards

Carl
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      I remember years ago i used to make stupid hero calls with my thought process something like "damn i knew he was gonna put me all in here but if i fold im gonna look weak and they will all do it to me next time, i still have 2nd pair i could be good lets see" and all the time i knew i was making huge mistakes but i remember at the time thinking that its weak to fold. :f_cool:

You got te point.I post hands,watch videos,read articles and i am on school with veriz also.I have make steps and become better.I just can t understand sometimes why i make mistakes or bad plays which i see them later and say :
      Omg how did i call - bet this ?
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      if you lose at the start of the session like this, clearly you do not think in a logical fashion during this time. This is indeed a mindset issue, and you need to sort it especially before you move up in stakes as this will only magnify the problem.

stop worrying about your table image. Fish are barely aware of their own cards nevermind your actions.

stop worrying about balancing your actions, it really doesn't matter at micro/low stakes
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      Thanks for your replies !