[NL2-NL10] NL2, missed OESD, paired river raise bluff

• londonsystem
      londonsystem
      Silver
      * this is part of my BSS lession 5 homework *

The below hand is kind of an example to show that I could not bluff on the river without set-up in the previous streets, especially in the micro level. I think I have played very poorly in every street.

IPoker Network $2.00 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players - View hand 1689445
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $0.80
      UTG+2: $1.82
      MP1: $2.10
      MP2: $2.07
      CO: $5.67
      Hero (BTN): $2.00
      SB: $0.98
      BB: $1.13

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with T :diamond: J :club:
      1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.06, 2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.10, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.10, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls $0.04

UTG+1 had 10/9, but MP2 had 40/19. I should have folded as UTG+1 should have some AT+ or 88+ hands, and MP2 might be the same. JTo is especially bad hand when I am against ATx or AJx. The only thing I got is the position, but it was not enough.

Flop: ($0.33) 5 :club: 9 :diamond: 8 :club: (3 players)
      UTG+1 checks, MP2 bets $0.06, Hero raises to $0.25, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls $0.19

I had a decent OESD and back-door J-high flush draw. UTG+1 had AF 3.7 and checked, and I suspect he missed with Ax. MP2 had AF 1.4, and betting really small. I think he had a piece or draw. I wanted to take the pot with semi-bluff here, so I raised. MP2 called, not bad. I represented either flush draw or straight draw, so my hand is not easy to put to one way.

Turn: ($0.83) 3 :heart: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20

3 of heart could not help anyone. But MP2 is betting again. He might have a pair or a decent flush draw.

River: ($1.23) 8 :spade: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.22, Hero raises to $0.86, MP2 calls $0.64

I missed my straight draw, and board paired. MP2 had WTSD 31%, W$SD 88%, and he bet really small - a quarter pot. His stat made me to consider river bluff, as I miss-read it as he would only call when he thinks he could win in most cases. When I reviewed it, I could not represent anything but 8-set, and it is really hard to convince anyone to fold even a pair.

What I thought was that there was a chance that he missed nut-flush draw and donk-cbet hoping I missed mine. So I bluff-raised here.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello londonsystem,

Preflop: Fold preflop! Not the greatest hand to flat vs a 3bet.

As played
      Postflop: As long you are getting so good odds then rather take them than raise. :) You still have another guy behind you! Don't really like your play here at all.

Best Regards.