Hu Sng Brm?

• Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Tried to get as many acronyms in the subject heading, what? TMI?

Basically what it says on the tin. What is the suggested BRM for Heads up SNGs?

Played about 50/60 of the 3.50 ones in the past day, winning the vast majority with a nice +$40 or thereabouts.

Just interested in the correct BRM, I'm playing 250/BI but I think that's probably nitter than a nit's nits!
  • 6 replies
    • daun666
      daun666
      Bronze
      Depends on speed and stakes.
      You can use half Kelly its pretty safe.
      Stake / ROI * 2 = bankroll
      At lower stakes I would do smtx like this.
      For regular speed 20-25 bi.
      Turbos - 25-35 bi
      Hypers 65-75 bi
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Originally posted by daun666
      Depends on speed and stakes.
      You can use half Kelly its pretty safe.
      Stake / ROI * 2 = bankroll
      At lower stakes I would do smtx like this.
      For regular speed 20-25 bi.
      Turbos - 25-35 bi
      Hypers 65-75 bi
      Playing Turbos so will use 40 just to be safe for now....

But tremendous response! +1

You a HU SNG grinder?
    • daun666
      daun666
      Bronze
      40 will be safe for turbos.
      Yes i play hypers on stars :)
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, zareos,

As daun666 has alredy said- it depends on speed/stakes and I will also add win rate. The better player you are, the more aggressive BR management you can use. I would go this way:

Standard -35 BI

Conservative- 50 BI

Super Conservative- 100 BI- this one will make it like literally impossible for you to go broke if you are a decent winning player.

250 BI seems too nitty :s_biggrin: It won't hurt though. You might move up the stakes slower this way if you try to follow this BR management. 100 BI should be more than ok for hypers imo.
    • pyure
      pyure
      Bronze
      If you're not going to be willing to move up and down stakes a lot then stick too 100bi. Otherwise here's a cool little chart I found a while back. If I remember rightly it's based on reg speed games and uses a 30bi and move up strategy. For turbo speeds you'll want to increase this to around 40-50 and adjust the chart accordingly.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Lots of people will tell you their favorite numbers. However, the bankroll you need to be safe depends on your win rate, and we don't know what your win rate is, or even that you are a winning player.

A simple consistent guideline is

bankroll = comfort * standard deviation^2 / win rate.

You can use this formula for many different advantage gambles, such as cash games and multitable tournaments.

The standard deviation for a HU SNG is close to 1 buy-in.

Comfort depends on your personal risk aversion and your ability/willingness to move down. You can use the same comfort level when you play different types of poker. Usually a comfort level of 2 is considered aggressive and a comfort level of 4 is conservative.

For example, if you choose to use a comfort level of 3, and your ROI is 5%, this suggests that your bankroll should be about 3 * 1/ 0.05 = 60 buy-ins. If your ROI were only 2%, you would need 150 buy-ins for the same level of safety.

If your bankroll drops below the target amount, you don't have to stop playing, but you typically should not play when your bankroll is below half of the target amount, and before then it would probably make sense to play at a lower stake level.