Small Pocket Pairs

• Duane317
      Duane317
      Bronze
      Hey guys! My question has to do with the SHC chart for BSS.... Why do we have to fold small pocket pairs in early position? Is it just because of positional disadvantage? If a player raises after, wouldn't it be the same because we could still call it for a set? I mean, its not the same as suited connectors where we have to fold it and waste a BB for calling before.

Hmm, I just feel that my potential set was put to waste when the card i needed falls on the flop when I'm not there and everyone is raising like hell...

Any comments? Help? Any would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks guys!
  • 8 replies
    • Puciek
      Puciek
      Bronze
      Small pairs( i guess u mean 8> ) are very weak and to be honest, only way to make anykind of playable hand from them is to floop third one. And there are only 2 cards that will help you accomplish that so odds are very small.
      Suited connectors got a lot more odds than pocket pair, you can floop for flush, straight, two pair, top pair etc.
      Also there are many players in front of you so big chance that you will get raised and will have to fold.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Originally posted by Puciek
      Small pairs( i guess u mean 8> ) are very weak and to be honest, only way to make anykind of playable hand from them is to floop third one. And there are only 2 cards that will help you accomplish that so odds are very small.
      Suited connectors got a lot more odds than pocket pair, you can floop for flush, straight, two pair, top pair etc.
      don't believe that! it's nonsense.

as for playing low pps in early position in full ring games, i don't know either, as i play short-handed.
    • Duane317
      Duane317
      Bronze
      Yeah, I know you have to fold if its over 20times your stack; but if someone raised after you, most of the time, it would be less than 20times anyway. If its over that amount you could just fold.

Yeah, You only have two outs but its the implied odds that matters... and even so, if a player raised before you, you would still call him for that implied odds as said in the chart. I don't think it makes much of a difference.

Anyway, thanks mehn for the comment :)
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      i think you should reread the bronze BSS preflop play articles, especially the part about call20
    • sismis
      sismis
      Bronze
      I also play shorthanded but i dont see any problem with small pairs in full ring if you are able to fold it when you dont flop a set (even if you have 88 on 752 board).
    • Duane317
      Duane317
      Bronze
      It says in the chart to fold early position if someone calls or if everyone folds. As for call20, it means I forgot to state that your opponent should have 20times the bet size in his/her stack too. Sorry :)
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      actually, you could read Tight Aggressive Preflop Play for Intermediates, the silver article. on page three it mentions playing low pps from early position.
    • Duane317
      Duane317
      Bronze
      Oh there, that article answers my question... so its okay to play them early position. Thanks!