Big blid defence, bronze SHC

• tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      My question is which chart do we attend to when we are in the big blind and there was a raiser and callers in front. Do we attend to "Big Blind defence" chart or to "Calling/Raising with raises and callers in front of you" chart.

Here is an example:
      PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8, 8.
      2 folds, UTG+2 calls, 3 folds, CO calls, Button raises, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, CO calls.

According to "Big Blind defence" chart, i should 3-bet with my eights, when raise is from the button, but small blind calls the raise so i used the"Calling/Raising with raises and callers in front of you" chart. Was that correct or should i 3-bet?

What about if the case was the following:

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8, 8.
      2 folds, UTG+2 calls, 3 folds, CO calls, Button raises, 1 fold, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, CO calls.

Should hero 3-bet in this case, considering he is the first to act behind raiser and he is in big blind defending position. My concern are the two limpers before the preflop raiser, that could call our 3-bet so the flop and further streets would be multiway, giving hero bad chances to win with worst position. So i would like to know if hero has to 3-bet here and try to push out the limpers, or just calls and hopes for a set on the flop.

3.rd case (not considering big blind defence):

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (7 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6, 6.
      UTG calls, MP1 raises, 5 folds, UTG calls.

Should hero in this case call the raiser in front according to "Calling/Raising with raises and callers in front of you" chart, because there is allmost 100% that the limper from UTG would allso call a raise?
  • 6 replies
    • fermion314
      fermion314
      Bronze
      I don't know if my ideas are good, so it would be interesting to hear some critiques from an expert ;)

Personally, in the first case I prefer calling. You don't have much fold equity, and contibetting OOP is hard cos any overcard is scary enough for you against 3 opponents.

In the second case, 3beting would be a nice move if there was a chance that the UTG+2 or the CO folds instead of cold-calling. I guess that never happens, so again, I prefer calling and playing for set value.

The third one is more tricky, imo. You won't be having pot odds to call just for set value, so if you call, you have to play for implicit bets. I use to fold in that spot and 3bet with 88+, unless the UTG is a fish and MP1 isolates him with a wide range, but I don't actually know if it's correct..
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      I would assume that the Big Blind Defence chart is for situations where one player raises and it folds around to you.

If there is a raise and a call then I suppose the Calling/Raising chart is better, but remember that in the BB you are getting better odds to call, so maybe widen the range a little.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      You can go with the odds and out. There is a gold chart which contains the cards you can call. If you remind me I will add this later.

Pocketpars can be called always. Against one raiser and 1 limper I would start 3-betting with 99+.
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      How do you determine your odds preflop (maybe i missed it somehow in strategy chapters)?
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      There are no strategy articles on that topic.

A while ago some (or one) users thought about how often you hit a draw with suited connectors, with 1 gapped connectors etc and created a chart when it's profitable to play these hands.

Here we go:

Pocketpair: 7,5:1

suited connectors: 3:1
      suited 1-gapper: 3.5:1
      suited 2-gapper 4:1
      any suited: 5.5:1

offsuited connector: 5.5:1
      offsuited 1-gapper: 7,5:1
      offsuited 2-gapper: 11.5:1

AXo: 20,5:1

Please notice that this chart is mainly for completes in the small blind. You can call more in the BB against a raise and less against a raise if you have to call twobet cold.
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      ty very much