♠ The Seven Deadly Sins + 1

• ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      The Seven Deadly Sins + 1

Hello Ladies and Gentleman,
      This blog has been made to track the progress of our Skype Group "The Seven Deadly Sins" through time.
      All the members are highly motivated individuals who have been chosen very carefully after passing severe, exhausting and extremely challenging tests (both physical and mental) and they made it to the final team.
      Before I continue to describe the operation and goals of our Team, let me first introduce them,
      So it’s my privilege to present you, in alphabetical order..

RasTweet
      Some say... He watches "Cool Runnings" before every session
      Ollehult
      Some say ... He bumhunts fish at NL2
      MattDenness
      Some say ... He wants to become a Penguin in his next life
      Krishjanis
      Some say ... He is the most immature player in the group and his favourite hand is 69
      KiromanAAKK
      Some say ...
      Keoghh
      Some say ... He googled "Some say" and couldn't find one he liked
      Holmeboy
      Some say... He only 3 bets T4o and that he's a closet Hellmuth fan.
      DukeXIII
      Some say ... He has a hate of Penguins

The goals regarding the team are separated into two categories; Individual and Team.

Individual goals
      Here we are referring to the goals that each member has made for himself and will be pursued by his individual effort and teams help. Later on you will be able to see the goals as well as a description of each player in order to get to know them better. We will be using the goals that each member includes here as a reference for the future, so that we can track our progress.

Team goals
      As a team we have set a schedule which will be followed by us all, as well as our individual goals. The purpose of this is to be able to work in a more structured way and keep us constantly on track.
      With team work this will help us progress faster, whilst also helping the less experienced players learn from the more experienced to develop their game.
      The schedule has been based on the 3 principles that a poker player should follow if he wants to continuously improve and move up the limits.

1) Studying, 2) Practicing (Grinding), 3) Evaluating / Analyzing

Schedule
      The following schedule has been shaped with the contribution of all team and is in an experimental phase. Any further adjustments will be published here.

:spade: Video Reviews - Monday 21:00 GMT :spade:
      Every week we will choose a video which all of us must watch by this date, We will be required to take notes and then discuss with the team on the selected day

:spade: Database Evaluation - Thursday 13:00 GMT :spade:
      Every week we will choose a selected Hand Range, Position or Strategys so that the team can help each other find Leaks and improve our overall game.
      This is the schedule we have decided on so far,
      Week 1 - Big Pairs (QQ+)
      Week 2 - Mid Pairs (88-JJ)
      Week 3 - Small Pairs (22-77)
      Week 4 - Suited Ax's

Finally, we have created three separate Skype Groups to communicate with each other in a more efficient way.
      First Group – Study group ( general poker discussion )
      Second Group – 7+1 Evaluation ( For posting hands to discuss )
      Third Group – 7+1 Video Review ( To discuss the videos we watch each weak )

We will update the Blog at minimum, weekly with a detailed post, for example; referring back to our weekly goals to see if we made them.
      Each of us will also try post updates as often as possible so that the community can keep up-to-date with whats going on within the group, daily!

Each member was asked to provide some info, so as promised, here is a more detailed introduction to each of our Members!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: MattDenness
      Gametype: No Limit Holdem
      Limit: NL10 / Some Micro MTT’s
      Win Rates:
      • 15bb/100 @ NL6 Over 35,000 Hands
        This is the only Graph I still have of NL6 sadly.

• 10bb/100 @ NL10 Over 20,000 Hands

About Me:
      I’ll keep this short, don’t want you running away from our Blog! ;)
      I started playing Real Cash Poker in August 2010. I didn’t follow any kind of BRM which caused several deposits & an ever decreasing Bank Account :D After a year playing this way I finally realised that my style wasn’t working, nor helping my Banks Balance so began to use PokerStrategy.com. Since then I have turned my game around dramatically, using the Beginners Course, Videos & Articles I’ve managed to beat NL6 and move up to NL10 where I am currently playing at the moment. My next step is to improve my game with the help of this group and get me on my way to NL25!

If you wish know more, I have my own personal Blog too - Moderating my way to Success

My Goals
      Study goals: I don’t currently have strict “Study Rota” as such, I will study a specific Article or Video when I feel like it, or have been advised too by others, so keeping up with the groups Study goals will difficult, but hopefully I’ll manage it.

Practice goals:
      • Hands per Week: Ideally I’d like to aim for 10,000 Per week, but this may not be possible so I’d like a minimum of 7,000 Per week.
      • Hours per Week: A minimum of 15 Hours per week of Play.

My individual goals:
      • Move up to NL25 by August this year ( By 2012 is a must )
      • Reach >100,000 hands at NL10
      • Reach >200,000 Total hands at all levels by 2013
      • Hire a Coach once I move to NL25
      • Play more MTT’s
      • Get a $500+ MTT Cash.
      • Earn $5000 Total profit for 2012
      • Study more – I don’t do nearly enough.

Name: Holmeboy
      Gametype: No Limit Holdem - Short Handed
      Limit: NL10
      Win Rates:
      • 17bb/100 @ NL10 Over 5,000 Hands

About Me:
      I'm a 24yr old Irishman living in Birmingham. I finally graduated from University last year (5 years to do a 3 year course, boom!) and have so far avoided the 9-5 grind. At the moment I'm trading full time on Betfair which is probably the sweetest job ever... Work about 3-4 hours a day which leaves me plenty of time for other things.

My Goals

Practice goals:
      • Hands per Week: 10,000
      • Hours per Week: 25 - 30
      • Days per Week: 6

My individual goals:
      • Beat NL100 by end of summer
      • Post my sports betting tips for the community – follow at your own risk!
      • Post more hands for Evaluation
      • Watch 2 Videos each week
      • Read 5 Articles each week
      • Watch "Database Doctor/Stats Surgeon" series and begin to apply to my game when I have a good sample (50,000+)

Name: RasTweet
      Limit: NL6 (Close to Moving up)
      Win Rates:
      • 32bb/100 @ NL2 Over 13,500 Hands

• 9bb/100 @ NL6 Over 16,000 Hands

About Me:
      Hi everyone!
      About my poker career... I Lost my first Bankroll at FT. I got a second one on party, I cleared my bonus there and ran! I then went to 888 and I’m still there.
      I deposited around $80 on 888 and now little less then 3 months later I’m at $230, so very nice!
      About myself, my name is Timothy, I’m 22 years old and I’m from little Belgium. I’m studying to become a teacher in electricity and overall technical education.
      I’ve got my own blog too for those who are interested - A little Rasta bird in the big world of Poker

My Goals

Practice goals:
      • Hands per Week: 4,000 / 5,000
      • Hours per Week: 15 - 20
      • Days Per Week: 5

My individual goals:
      • Watch “Pink Performance” and “Move it, move it up to the sky”
      • Watch many more videos
      • Move up to NL10 and hopefully NL25 before the end of the year!
      • Read all the silver articles
      • Start reading articles about psychology!
      • Post more hands for Evaluation
      • Do the best I can & keep enjoying Poker!

Name: Krishjanis
      Limit: NL5
      Win Rates:
      • 17bb/100 @ NL2 Over 31,000 Hands
      • 1bb/100 @ NL5 Over 15,000 Hands
        NL2 + NL5 Mixed Graph

About Me:
      I’m 20 years old from Latvia. Played my first poker hand 2 years ago, but I played for like 3 weeks and then abandoned everything for months and then started again for a few weeks and stopped again so I never really progressed, never got the motivation to keep playing . About 3 months ago I decided to give SH a go and I love it, the game became more fun, it suited my style of play better. In these 3 months I have become a much better player, I moved up my first limit. I also became more active here in the forum, I really like the Pokerstrategy.com community, I have met a lot of great people here and hope to get involved in the community even more in the future.

My Goals

Practice goals:
      • Hours per Week: 35 (Grinding + Playing)

My individual goals:
      • Read an article every day,
      • Watch a video every second day.
      • Warm up before every session by reviewing hands in the forum or my own database
      • Evaluate my play after every session and post hands in the hand evaluation forum
      • Move up to NL10 by the end of April
      • Reach silverstar on Pokerstars
      • Play at least one MTT in the weekends
      • Stop looking at cashier while playing
      • Increase my session length, currently I can play 1h before taking a break
      • Attend more coachings

Name: Keogh
      Win Rates:
      • 10bb/100 @ NL2 Over 25,000 Hands
      • 6.5bb/100 @ NL5 Over 15,000 Hands

About Me:
      Hey, im Chris, 18 and from England. Currently studying business studies at uni. Currently trying to build a roll for nl10 whilst balancing uni work and social life, and loving every minute of it ! :heart:

My Goals

Practice goals:
      • Hands per Week: 5,000
      • Hours per Week: As many as i can, or until i reach 5,000
      • Days Per Week: 5-6

My individual goals:
      • Play minimum 20,000 hands per month
      • Watch 10 videos per month, aswell as discussing videos with strategy group
      • Post at least 10 hands for evaluation per month
      • Continue to improve
      • Continue to discuss strategy with strategy group and improve
      • Earn a roll for NL10
      • Play more Live
      • Move up to nl25/nl50 (Long Term Goal)
      • Play a UKIPT Event (Or Similar)

Name: ollehult
      Win Rates:
      • 10bb/100 @ NL4 Over 9,400 Hands

About Me:
      Hi Y’all! I have been playing poker for about a year; mostly NL10 FR but taken shots at NL20. I’m currently doing a Bachelor of arts in Bangkok and it’s my last semester so have a lot of time at my disposal; I plan to use all that time getting used to SH and do some serious studying with the group.
      Playing NL4 now due to the switch, I figured I need some time to get used to playing SH instead of FR.

My Goals

Practice goals:
      • Hands per Week: 5,000 (To begin with)
      • Hours per Week: 2-3
      • Days Per Week: Sunday - Friday

My individual goals:
      • Post at least 20 hands in study group or the evaluation forum every week
      • Watch at least 4 videos and attend 2 coaching’s per week.
      • Play fewer tables so I can make more observations and thus make more useful notes.
      • Short sessions, stop as soon as my concentration starts fading!
      • Become a winning player at NL25 before summer and NL100 for the year

Name: DukeXIII
      Win Rates:
      • 14bb/100 @ NLX Over 10,000 Hands
      • -15bb/100 @ NLX Over 525 Hands

About Me:
      I ‘m 26 years old and I was blessed as well as cursed to born in the country called Greece. During my years at school and university (studied engineering) I realised that something was terribly wrong in the planet I was born. The problem was that there are way too many retards and too few brilliant people. Retard people create educational systems which produce educated retards. And the worst thing of all was the fact that these educational retards considered themselves intelligent human beings. After I confirmed my initial assumption with testing again and again the human minds I came to the conclusion that it would be utterly impossible to follow the way of life which is called ‘normal ‘by the most inhabitants of earth, so I had to do something about it. I had to find a way to make money without being obliged to work in tedious environments with people who are so boring that makes me want to kill myself. So I started studying about stock market, became good at it and from next week I ll start working on some projects which will give me plenty of money and most importantly...Work whenever I want, from wherever I want . My main goal has been accomplished.
      About poker.. I like this game a lot because it has common characteristics with both chess and securities trading, allowing me to sharpen my mind. I also like it cause I can’t enjoy more seeing people’s faces when I ‘m telling them about it. The most fun part is when their little minds try to distinguish whether or not the claim I make about poker being beatable by using mathematics and deductive reasoning is possible, being overwhelmed by thoughts like ‘’ I can’t seem stupid in front of my friends by saying I don’t understand what he is talking about or Is he a degenerate gambler who is just trying to manipulate me? Well.. I ll go with the second cause hey POKER IS GAMBLING!!…but then am I really stupid maybe?’’… Sure you are!!
      So poker is going to be part of my daily schedule along with my other activities. I started on FT and as many others I lost my roll there, so then I decided to make a deposit of 8$ to Poker Stars which I have made 109,36$ by now. My goal here is mainly to beat the game regardless the time it is going to take, this is the challenge.

My Goals

Practice goals:
      • Hands per Week: 3,500 - 4,000
      • Hours per Week: 10 - 12
      • Days Per Week: 5 - 6

My individual goals:
      • Study about 1 h /day about strategy or mental game
      • Watch 2 videos/week. Start with Pink Performance and Move it move it up to the sky
      • Evaluate as many hands it is possible and discuss them with my coach and the guys in the team. Keep track of the hands I evaluate/week.
      • Reach NL25 somewhere in the summer

Name: Kiroman
      Gametype: No Limit Holdem
      Win Rates:
      • 14.5bb/100 @ NL10 Over Unknown Hands

About Me:
      Why this group would be good for me?

As in the title, I have asked myself why this group would be good for me? What I really need to improve my persona as a better poker player?

The answer has been not easy to find, as there are several reason why a group and interaction with other players would be good for any1 really. On the top of all the natural and obviously reason that we can find anywhere in any poker forum I have came with my own king reason. The master reason that would be completes me as a finally better poker player… learning to how to learn!

Yeah, it seems same sort of kidding joke but in the reality one of my big issues with learning is exactly the difficulty I encounter to learn. I have become in the past year an active member of PokerStrategy.com, in the forum, in the live coaching and in same more area of that matter but how long take me to reach that point? Too long!

I start understand, learn and finally take vantage of the school, after two years. I don’t know if Im slow, if I got too much in my mind or Im simply a retard, but the truth is that it take me long time to get there but when I finally reach the point I will than give my best out and take the best all out everything Im in. It’s a bit of the story of my life really and maybe that is the mean reason why Im suck in this world where speed and fast are the king words.

Back to the matter of this group and to the original question, why and would I will gain benefit from it, the answer came finally to me; I will learn to learn!

I got the inspiration by watching the Gerv video (KK …) and Im realize that the most important factor for me to learn is to have a guide. Im easily and often go lost in the huge sea-streaming of all the materials we got these days available to us, too much for me. Im struggle to take a begin and to start a day with the question “where to start?”

It take too much time to organize and make a plan as everything seem important and it is too much for a small time offered out by the single day.

So, finally, I realize why I want be part of this group, because I want learn to learn, I want see how other do it and learn from them. In return, Im sure that I got a lot to give out and to contribute to the sake of the group to make our self one day, a small group of winner players!

Thank you!

My Goals

Practice goals:
      • Hours per Week: 6-8 Hours each day
      • Days Per Week: Mon - Fri (MTT's on Sunday)

My individual goals:
      • Become better
      • Become a Pro

So... that is us in a nutshell, there is some info missing, such as a few graphs, details, probably the odd typo, but forgive me! :D

Lastly, I cannot take full credit for this Blog post, Duke put in alot of work and actual wrote the Main Section. Because English is his second language I changed it around a little, but apart from that its his work. I just made it look pretty :P
  • 24 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      omg! reading this just gave me a heart-attack!! Welcome to the blogs section guys :D and so happy to have you here! Awesomest blog post ever! :f_love:

and the longest one to :f_p:
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Welcome to blogging boys!

Let's see you all progress through the stakes and become Black Members in no time then.

You've got Step 1 down, STRUCTURE!

From there, it'll all come with hard work, sweat, discipline and time!

Regards,
      Richard
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Thanks Ingi + Richard :f_love:

There is 8 of us, so I'd take a stab that our updates will be pretty epic too :P

We all have a long way to go, so let the training begin

My Rocky one wasn't allowed :( So I've gone with Remi, because he is awesome
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Will track your progress guys. Gl :D !
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Oh yeah we are online! :f_cool:

Lets kick some butt with our group!
    • qMantas
      qMantas
      Bronze
      Will follow this blog like never before :s_biggrin: GL & HF fun at the tables guys :f_cool:
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Great blog Matt! Inspired? Greatly...Thanks. :)
    • DukeXIII
      DukeXIII
      Bronze
      :f_cry: :f_cry: :f_cry: I am so moved... We have the mοst beautiful blog ever made!!!
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Edit to the first post: Kiromans 'about me' has been updated.
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Finally, I found the blog!!! :f_biggrin:

Why Im arrive alway late??? :D
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      wrong thread, sorry! :D
    • vetani
      vetani
      Bronze
      Updates? ;D
    • verneer
      verneer
      Bronze
      Good luck guys! Finding others to study with methodically is one of the most +EV things that you can do.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi guys

I'll give a little update. I'll tell you what happened yeterday. I think there is a big update coming later on this week.

Yesterday we had a video review session. We decided to review TT's Move it move it up to the sky.
      We disagreed on several occasions, but thats good. If we don't agree we have to think about why we don't and what is the best thing to do! Our review session lasted 2,5 hours and in that 2,5 hours we only covered 25min of the video. So we have to do an other review session to cover the whole video.

But it was very nice last night! I think we all enjoyed it!

Best of luck on the tables!

RasTweet
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Some of the guys have been fairly busy over the last week or so. Duke travelled back to Greece where his internet has been fairly dodgy and Krisins has been busy with his driver's theory test so we missed Thursdays evaluation but hopefully we'll be back up and running again soon!

I think we're each going to be posting monthly updates so I'll get things started. With regards to my goals in OP:

[ ] Volume
      [x] Watch 2 vids a week
      [x] Read 5 articles a week
      [x] Post hands in evaluation forums - haven't posted many hands but it's still better than before!

Big thing I'm disappointed with is volume. Things started ok but quickly spiralled downhill. One of the things I've tried to work on this month is aggression. Before I was a passive nit and want to start progressing into more of a TAG game. You'll see from my graph that there's a period of about 1.5k hands where I went back into my passive nitty style so decided to take a week off and do some more reading and watch more vids. Then I had Paddy's day where I just spent about a week on the beer so got nothing done then either. Taking that into account would've liked at least 15k hands but it didn't happen...

Tilted away 2BI at around 4.3k hands so that's something I want to be careful of next week and end sessions early if I'm not playing optimally.

Things I want to work on in April:

1. Thinking in ranges
      2. 3 betting

My 3B is only 3%. I've spoken to a coach and he wants me to start 3B more for value and 3B bluff in position. We've already discussed a range for now to help me get started so want to implement that slowly over the next few weeks - just find some good spots and let the stat rise naturally.

We also talked about fold equity and merged/polarised ranges so I'll start reading a bit about that for now to be more aware of it. Just going to take one thing at a time.
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      With today 1 April I want start try to take truck in same "challenge" style ... I mean by post every day the results to help me to became more consistent!

In fact, for reason that I cannot "comprendo" at moment I totally unable to keep straight path and I wonder if the fact that I have same sort of fixed actions to do may be help to bring me back where I was

Ofc, thanks to the group that will be a bit of motivation ;)

Now, as my mental Coach say every time, I need start forcus on the next step and on little goals, so without look at what or where I was, starting make it easy and smooth and starting realize that Im in not great shape maybe make my near goal more approachable

So, we say I need make from now at least 1000s hand daily and close as near possible to the "no lose profit" line.

That mean play with motivation, concentration and try to focus only and exclusively on the table

COMMON KIRO YOU CAN DO IT!!! :s_thumbsup:
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      My March update.
      As Holmes mentioned, I'm in process of getting my drivers licence, so I have been studying for that a lot more than poker. In February I was really close to getting Silverstar, so I really wanted to do it in March so I used my free time for playing and studied a lot less poker than I should have. Volume is not great either, but it was enough to hit Silverstar :D In the graph first 3k hands are NL5 and the rest are NL5 Zoom. I tried to get used to Zoom, I really liked it and also really hated it at the same time, I decided I will switch back to normal games as I find those not so swingy and less tilting. From Zoom I did learn to fold a lot more hands when I'm beat and also 3bets don't bother me anymore. In April I will try to put in small daily volume so I could keep my Silverstar and not grind 100 VPPs in the last day on Zoom to get Silverstar :f_biggrin:
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Im face unfortunately straight on couple issue

I totally forgot about new Pacific policy of a maximum of 8 tables open that complicate (a lot) my plans

in fact, I was (time ago when things were different) doing 1000s hands easily in an hour or so, now I didn't reach 500 hands in 1 hours plus my crap PC decide that 65 minutes was enough even if I was aim to stay longer

despite the negative, for the rest, what an holiday play at NL2 even if it is a bit of sadness go down in limits, with an easy above the zero in profit with a +$4.28 :s_biggrin:

should even be more but I made couple mistakes like this hand

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.02(BB) Replayer
      SB ($6.26)
      BB ($0.40)
      Hero ($2.11)
      UTG+1 ($1.34)
      UTG+2 ($1.65)
      MP1 ($2)
      CO ($2.26)
      BTN ($0.75)

MP1 posts $0.02

Dealt to Hero J:heart: J:club:

Hero raises to $0.10, UTG+1 calls $0.10, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.25) 8:heart: 3:spade: T:club:

Hero bets $0.18, UTG+1 calls $0.18

TURN ($0.61) 8:heart: 3:spade: T:club: J:spade:

Hero bets $0.45, UTG+1 calls $0.45

RIVER ($1.51) 8:heart: 3:spade: T:club: J:spade: K:spade:

Hero bets $1.03, UTG+1 calls $0.61 (AI)

Hero shows J:heart: J:club: (Pre 67%, Flop 79.7%, Turn 22.7%) UTG+1 shows 9:diamond: Q:diamond: (Pre 33%, Flop 20.3%, Turn 77.3%)

in general, still room to improve as I making to many call (even if IP) that I dont like, and played with a 13/9 that isn't what was my stats for those limits

finally, another hands that really cannot make sense by see it now

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.02(BB) Replayer
      SB ($2)
      BB ($2.83)
      UTG ($1.77)
      UTG+1 ($1.40)
      UTG+2 ($2.27)
      MP1 ($0.99)
      CO ($2.20)
      Hero ($2)

Dealt to Hero 8:diamond: 9:diamond:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.02, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.02, fold, BB checks

FLOP ($0.07) 7:heart: 6:spade: 4:heart:

BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

TURN ($0.07) 7:heart: 6:spade: 4:heart: 5:spade:

BB checks, UTG+1 bets $0.05, Hero calls $0.05, BB folds

RIVER ($0.17) 7:heart: 6:spade: 4:heart: 5:spade: A:spade:

UTG+1 bets $0.17, Hero calls $0.17

UTG+1 shows K:spade: 8:spade: (Pre 67%, Flop 61.1%, Turn 22.7%) Hero shows 8:diamond: 9:diamond: (Pre 33%, Flop 38.9%, Turn 77.3%) UTG+1 wins $0.48

as said, I need to improve those silly mistakes

Im going to ending my task for today on MicroGaming tonight after the coaching with Veriz but as there isn't the possibility to use HM and save the HHs on the hard drive it is really not the ideal for what I have in mind here so, I need came out with same ideas asap really
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      [img][IMG]https://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9200/graphic1april2012.jpg[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]