UTG: $1.71
      UTG+1: $2.82
      MP: $2.98
      MP+1: $2.75
      LP: $1.91
      CO: $1.01

Hero posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has A:club: A:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.06, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.12, 2 players) J:heart: 5:diamond: 3:diamond:
      Hero bets $0.09, BB calls $0.09

Turn: ($0.30, 2 players) 4:club:
      Hero bets $0.21, BB calls $0.21

River: ($0.72, 2 players) 7:spade:
      Hero checks, BB bets $2.19 and is all-in, fold
  • 5 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

Imo you have very easy valuebet on the river. 6x isn´t really that much in his range and he would call you down with Jx and sometimes medium pp-s or 5x.
      If you bet 0,5$ and he shoves all-in I think you have relatively easy fold even with aces, since players would not really bluff these situations.

As played: folding to shove is fine. He sometimes has missed draw, but more often nuts.

best regards,
    • Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      I know I'm new and all, and not sure if this is entirely correct, but when holding that hand and you want to raise, aren't you suppose to bet 4BB in preflop?
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

My standard opening raise at all positions is 3BB. You can ofcourse open 4BB, but people would usually then tend to fold all their marginal hands, but would sill 3-bet you with AK and other good hands.
      So if you have reasonable or even loose opening size then you don´t really want to risk that much pre-flop, but rather play postflop and imo there isn´t also value if most of the players would fold their marginal hands to your 4BB openings

Ofcourse nl 2, nl 5 and maybe even nl 10 players would call with anything, but 1bb pre-flop doesn´t make that much difference postflop and if you´re ip then you shouldn´t also mind playing postflop to improve your game.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      my standard raise when im first in the pot is 4x. this becomes less when im in the BU and SB because you generate enough fold equity by raising 3x from these positions as people will tend to call looser when theres a late open raise, and 3bet lighter as well. you want to know how the BB is playing as well when making your decisions. if they call lots of open raises, you can generally open for more with your stronger hands, and open for less with your break even, and slightly +EV hands. if the BB is 50bb or less, i found 2.5x to generate enough fold equity from late position and SB. if you raise too much you are generally only ever facing premium hands, and getting 3bet by premium hands (AK AA KK QQ).

you dont want to isolate yourself to just playing against AA KK QQ and AK by opening for too much.

we think 4x is too much when opening from the BU and SB because it generally creates TOO MUCH fold equity for our opponents, and we DO NOT want them folding preflop when we have AA. Just dont get too married to the hand and work on your evaluation skills post-flop so you arent easily losing money on wet boards and when you clearly are mostly beat in any particular situation.
    • Resilence
      Resilence
      Bronze
      Thx for the clarification, makes sense to me.
      As I said i'm still learning, and theres alot to learn ;)
      Just thought I might ask as I've seen the open raise like that before so was curious :)