I know the answer is here somewhere...

• Velak
      I just can't seem to find an exact answer to my seemingly simple question.

Here it is: In the SSS guide, it says if you have a trash hand (under "flop play"), and your opponent did not bet, then you bet 2/3 of the pot, if he raises, you fold, etc.

If he bets, you fold. If you're playing more than one opponent and they bet, you fold. No problem there.

But, what if you're the first to act?

Let's say you have AK, AJ, KQ, etc, and you raised before the flop as according to the strategy starting hands chart, and then you miss the flop completely.

Now, after the flop, you're the first to act. Your opponent did not bet, because he's not had his turn yet.

Do you check here and wait to see what he does? or bet out the 2/3 and see if you can get him to fold? (then, if he bets, you fold).

I'm sorry if this is clearly explained somewhere and I can't seem to find it. I promise I've been looking, even reading through sample hands, and I just seem to be missing it.

Thanks in advance!
  • 4 replies
    • swissmoumout
      It's called a Continuation bet (or c-bet). I think you're supposed to make it everytime you raised and it's heads-up to the flop, but I'm no SSS "player". I'm pretty sure it's explained in the articles though.
    • theloniousbones
      I think the c-bet article is a silver-status one.

It's a good play, but be careful using it with SSS. You can easily become pot-committed with nothing, so pick your spots, like Swiss says only when you're heads-up on the flop. Don't bet into 2 or 3 players with air....
    • chenny8888
      heads up with SSS, always always always fire a continuation bet into 1 player. there is a post by xylere where he describes how sometimes you can/should openshove (go all-in directly) on the flop. but this is quite advanced, and requires good knowledge of pot odds, etc. so generally, just bet 2/3, and fold to a raise.
    • Velak
      Thanks gang..

I'm aware of the continuation bet, and I have the SSS articles committed to memory.

I was just trying to get a clarification regarding the instructions of SSS under flop play at http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/215/2/

It seems clear to me that with multiple opponents, you just check and see what they do.. but under the section covering "one opponent" it says if "Your opponent did not bet..." then bet 2/3 etc.

To me, it's not as clear as it could be, if that means that we should check, if we're first to act after the flop, before our opponent, or if we should make a continuation bet.

It seems the advice from swissmoumout and chenny8888 is to go ahead and c-bet, and it's what I always do in this situation anyway, so if it's correct, I'm fine with that.

Sometimes however, I seem to lose more often than I win under this circumstance, so I was wondering if I was mis-applying the strategy, and should be checking here.

I'll keep firing c-bets, as I have been, and I'll try to hunt down the post chenny8888 refers to.