SHC speculative & mixed hands

• runswithtwohorses
      runswithtwohorses
      Bronze
      I'm a little confused by what the SHC says about speculative and mixed hands when playing in middle and late position respectively.

Example: if you have 66 in middle position, you call if 2 or more players call BB, but you must fold if only 1 player calls.

If you have an A8s in late position, then the same applies.

Why is this? Shouldn't it be the other way around? If 2 or more players call BB, then isn't there more chance of you being up against a better hand? The only reason I can think of is that it's worth calling for a bigger pot.
  • 3 replies
    • G1lius
      G1lius
      Bronze
      Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the idea behind this is that if you hit big (trips or flush), you want people to be in the hand that got top pair or something. The more people in the hand, the more likely it is that this will happen.
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Originally posted by G1lius
      Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the idea behind this is that if you hit big (trips or flush), you want people to be in the hand that got top pair or something. The more people in the hand, the more likely it is that this will happen.
      Correct, + more people more money:)

You basically call low pocket pairs for a chance to hit a set, if you don't they are pretty much worthless, but if you do, then you want a lot of people in the pot to pay you off.
    • runswithtwohorses
      runswithtwohorses
      Bronze
      OK that makes sense