MP1 ($3.98)
      Hero ($18.01)
      MP3 ($11.81)
      CO ($19.78)
      BTN ($16.90)
      SB ($22.99)
      BB ($3.70)

Pre-flop: ($0.4, 9 players) Hero is MP2 A:spade: K:diamond:
      1 fold, UTG 1 raises to $0.8, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.8, 3 folds, SB calls $0.7, 1 fold

Flop: 5:club: A:heart: 2:club: ($2.9, 3 players)
      SB checks, UTG 1 bets $1.4, Hero raises to $3.6, SB folds, UTG 1 calls $2.2

Turn: 4:spade: ($10.1, 2 players)
      UTG 1 checks, Hero bets $5, UTG 1 calls $5

River: 2:heart: ($20.1, 2 players)
      UTG 1 checks, Hero goes all-in $8.61, UTG 1 calls $8.61

Final Pot: $37.32

Play ok here? I did not want to 3bet villain pre since I had position on him.
      Postflop I was kind of unsure, since he called my raise on flop and my bet on turn so should I check river or bet?
  • 6 replies
    • theloniousbones
      theloniousbones
      Bronze
      Personally I don't like smooth-calling PF with AK unless you have good reads on your villain. It's too easy to get out-flopped, so you gotta make him pay. Re-raising also isolates. You don't want to be facing a multi-way flop here and you maintain position on villain. I'm always happy to stack off here, so a re-raise to ~$3.50 is a better move, and it gives you more information on where you stand. A smooth-call leaves you in the dark and means you have to put villain on a wider range, making things tricky for you moving forward.

Re-raise more on the flop ~$5+. TPTK his decent here, but it's a drawy board. You make it an easy call for villain to see another card.

Turn bet is again too small. 4 is a scare-card and you give villain 3-1 pot odds, basically forcing him to call. As played you can check-behind, but had you r/r more on the flop you are now in a position to push and maximize fold equity.

As played, you have no choice but to push, but that's also bad because villain also has no choice but to call. All in all this is not the way to play AK, as you gave villain every opportunity to out-draw you. Good for you if he had AT, AJ, AQ, but in the future AK should be played much more aggressively.
    • armo
      armo
      Bronze
      Thanks for explanation
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Even with position AK is premium hand to 3-bet and you want to use that advantage agains all the other hands.
      2/3 times you don´t hit anything and have to fold to contibet.
      I would probably re-raise a little more on the flop 4-5$
      As played: I like your turn bet- hard to put UTG on draw and mostly he has AJ, AQ- thatś why I like your 1/2 bet on the turn and the rest on the river.
    • armo
      armo
      Bronze
      Villain showed A Q so I guess he still would call if I would shove the turn
    • whipflip15
      whipflip15
      Bronze
      I did not want to 3bet villain pre since I had position on him.
      I don't see sense in this comment.
    • armo
      armo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by whipflip15
      I did not want to 3bet villain pre since I had position on him.
      I don't see sense in this comment.
      Well, now it does not make sense to me as well :P
      Thats exactly why I posted this hand here, somehow it felt that I played this one wrong. Thanks for comments everyone and thumbs up for Kaitz doing the hand reviews! :)