[NL2-NL10] nl5 Top pair in position against aggressive opponent.

• EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $4,92
      Hero:
      $5,29

0,03/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.106 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:heart: , Q:diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0,15, SB calls $0,12, BB folds.

Flop: ($0,35) A:spade: , 4:diamond: , 3:spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $0,2, Hero calls $0,20.

Turn: ($0,75) T:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $0,65, Hero calls $0,65.

River: ($2,05) K:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $2,05, Hero calls $2,05.

Final Pot: $6,15

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Ah Qd)
      SB shows a straight, ace high (Qh Jh)

SB wins with a straight, ace high (Qh Jh)

Can't understand.Really.Should i reraise flop ? Or maybe turn ? Or not calling the river ?
  • 5 replies
    • numbnutter
      numbnutter
      Bronze
      When he donks the flop you can be pretty sure he doesn't have a made hand there too often, so not many Ax or sets in his range any more - why would he donk them when you're cbetting this board almost 100% of the time? (this is unless you have some reads/table dynamics going)
      So, he's left with almost exclusively draws & pure bluffs. What credible draws can he have? Maybe 56 for the straight draw, or some suited connectors in spades (all the way up to KQ). His flushdraws are somewhat limited though as the As is on the board already.

Against such a range I like calling the flop. You keep in all his bluffs that way and you don't get into tricky spots such as if he 3bets you.
      On the turn we can definitely call again. Didn't really improve his range too much (gave some of his drawing hands second pair now - and maybe he turned his TT into a bluff on the flop and now has a set - but nothing to be too scared of).

River isn't the worst card, however look at his betsizing. I think this means one of two things: he either rivered the nuts or he has a stone cold bluff and wants you to fold. Given that a lot of his drawing/bluffing hands will have made a pair by now (9Ts, JTs, QTs, KTs, KJs, KQs + any other random K or T he had), and that he won't always want to fire 3 barrels as a bluff on this board (he can't really represent anything whereas you can have a lot of 2pair type hands in your range), I think he's checking back pretty often here. So I would fold the river without info that he can 3 barrel as a bluff with some weak made hands.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello EnterG,

Flop: We could actually even consider raising the flop and protect our hand there. But now again taking pot control ain't wrong, it would be tough for us if for example he decides to 3bet - would be hard for us to continue.
      Turn: Either way I would keep his range wide, not many worse hands would Call you anyways and do we want to Raise/Fold? Don't think so, you could already do that on the flop if you want to play for the stacks.
      River: But that card actually isn't going to be the greatest, cause you just don't beat much anymore. Neither the K isn't really a card for him which he could be representing good for a 3barrel bluff. Therefore I would make a crying fold.

Best Regards.
    • Oly0909
      Oly0909
      Silver
      Don't you think that raise/fold would be better on this flop. I mean, flop is 2 suited and connected, he could be on many draws, isn't it more important to protect our top pair than to control the pot and give him free cards? I mean if he shoves over us he's probably on 33 or 44, but I don't think that FD would donk/3bet here except maybe 4 :spade: 5 :spade: or 5 :spade: 6 :spade: , but we are behind that anyway, so our fold would be OK.
      I think that he mainly donk/folds bluffs and draws, and donk/calls draws and worse Aces, and isn't that OK for us? Yes, it would be better if we could keep his bluffs in, but I think it's pretty dangerous on this board.
    • numbnutter
      numbnutter
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Oly0909
      Don't you think that raise/fold would be better on this flop. I mean, flop is 2 suited and connected, he could be on many draws, isn't it more important to protect our top pair than to control the pot and give him free cards? I mean if he shoves over us he's probably on 33 or 44, but I don't think that FD would donk/3bet here except maybe 4 :spade: 5 :spade: or 5 :spade: 6 :spade: , but we are behind that anyway, so our fold would be OK.
      I think that he mainly donk/folds bluffs and draws, and donk/calls draws and worse Aces, and isn't that OK for us? Yes, it would be better if we could keep his bluffs in, but I think it's pretty dangerous on this board.
      Personally I think there's much more value in keeping his bluffs/weak hands in here than value from draws. Try putting some ranges into equilab and seeing how often he hits. Even if we give him a fairy wide range like such...

Board: 4:diamond: A:spade: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    83.84%  81.83%   2.01% { AdQh }
      MP3    16.16%  14.14%   2.01% { TT-22, AQs-A5s, KTs+, QTs+, J9s+, T8s+, 97s+, 86s+, 75s+, 65s, 54s, AQo-ATo, KTo+, QJo, JTo, T9o, 98o, 87o, 76o }

... he only has an OESD 3% of the time and a flushdraw around 7% of the time. If we just call here we might get value from weaker Ax he might otherwise fold (9% of his range), any second-pair pockets he has (15% of his range) and of course any pure bluffs from the rest of his range. Plus we also avoid having to fold to 3bets from his monster draws (1%) and sets (2.5%) - and bluffs - against which we have some equity and bluff outs.

Of course if you think villain will call a bunch of weaker Ax or TT-77 type hands then it becomes more profitable to make a value raise here.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      If I raise then I would usually do it for value. :) And I do agree with numbnutter that rather keep bluffs in the play and keep his range wide. :)