4 tables = too much for me?

Bronze
      I am playing NL4 6max cash games on WilliamHill, and very often I feel like as if playing at 4 tables on 6max is too much for me because I fail to see all the action / notice and remember the dynamics of the table as well as determine what my image is like. All of this because I am either paying attention to one particular table and its action / I am in a hand / I am writing a note (this is a major distraction) / I am timing out (there is no time bank on William Hill and it is ridiculous). I would really hate to reduce the number of tables because it's not that I am making big mistakes, it's just that I would very much prefer being able to focus better and use my time better when playing.

Am I playing too many tables for my ability? Am I distracting myself too much by focusing too much on things that are not all too relevant? Is it something that even the very best players are dealing with?
  • 16 replies
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      If you're new to the game, you could go for 3 tables and move up to 4 when you're comfortable. With time, more and more decisions become automatic and so you need less focus on individual spots.

In the medium term, you should be able to play 4 tables comfortably so it's worth learning to handle them.
      Bronze
      I probably should say publicly also that I have been playing for 2 years switching between cash games, SNGs, tournaments, FR and SH. I have played from 1 to 20 tables during this time. The reason I am still on NL4 is because FTP shut down and I also never really studied the game and apparently I am hardly as good as I thought I was.

My point being – I have at least some experience in multitabling.
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      If your getting distracted writing a note try marking the hand during the session then make notes on them after.

This has helped me out
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by holmeboy
      If your getting distracted writing a note try marking the hand during the session then make notes on them after.

This has helped me out
      wow. this is one freaking awesome idea. Although, I manage to do it while playing 4 tables, it's just annoying, tables popping and stuff.

Thanks.
      Bronze
      If your getting distracted writing a note try marking the hand during the session then make notes on them after. This has helped me out

It is not the worst advice and I do try to mark the hands that would require a long description but HEM2 is so bad when it comes to marking hands that it is a process that usually costs me time that I could use looking at tables. It is also hard to remember and take notes on the table dynamics / game play at the time when later reviewing the hand. So all in all it is a solution that causes other problems.
    • ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      Have note caddy report open (HUD options -> display stats, mark ' launh caddy report on start in the bottom right corner) and in 2nd tab (New Hands) you can mark a hand with a single click. For the question: u already answered. Play 1 or 2 tables to improve and learn. Play more tables when points and money are more important. Above all: leave ipoker asap. I dont trust their games, not only bots but worse. They seem 'tampered with' to me. My impression.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      If you can't keep to logical though processes during play for 4 tables, its too much for you. simple as that.

And you shouldn't really be "autopiloting" until you are able to easily sustain a good winrate at 4 tables.
      Bronze
      Above all: leave ipoker asap. I dont trust their games, not only bots but worse. They seem 'tampered with' to me. My impression.

Why don't you trust them and how would my winrate increase if I left them?

All in all - thank you guys for your great input!
    • YaMIzNoGouD
      YaMIzNoGouD
      Bronze
      Start out with 2 tables and slowly add 1 or 2 as you get comfortable like i did.
    • HansTheGreat
      HansTheGreat
      Bronze
      Hey Avatars91,

From what I saw from the HE I think you should be able to beat NL4 and shouldn t be worried about. Once I was also concerned is less tables actually better then more tables since you can see more dynamics. Well, since you have HM2 you should in my opinion play more tables not less. That is why you bought it, so you dont have to pay that much attention so you can see who are you facing .Because the problem is sometimes on this limits that you maybe focus on too irrelavant things since I know you like to think a lot. So put up more tables and rely on your knowledge. Wish you GL!
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      I wouldn't bother going beyond 3-4 tables until you are at NL50 or greater, the financial reward is so minuscule in comparison to the amount of stuff learning wise that you are gonna miss out on.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      at this limit you should have an easy time with the competition. you need to feel 100% confident in your game at the tables before adding another one and be able to close it down if you feel uncomfortable.. hope this helped !

magic
    • jchnnn
      jchnnn
      Bronze
      not sure why u would ever want to add more tables than u can play well.

that's been my philosophy for years now and have never regretted it, ever.

the amount of knowledge u gain does more than just cope with the amount of hands that u didnt play.

Also u should never autopilot ever no matter what stakes you are playing, there's always room to improve
    • ohmesohrny
      ohmesohrny
      Basic
      Originally posted by conall88
      If you can't keep to logical though processes during play for 4 tables, its too much for you. simple as that.

And you shouldn't really be "autopiloting" until you are able to easily sustain a good winrate at 4 tables.
      Note caddy is definitely a solid program, however I wouldnt recommend relying on it. As with any stat in our Hud it generally takes a decent sample to come up with any type of usable stat. I tried note caddy and found that it would say a player bluffs river while only using a very very small sample for example.

Hand written notes are far more valuable if written correctly. Not just 3 bets light or c bets alot. You want to make sure you put the date, limit played and FR 6 max etc. along with a detailed account of what happened. Its important to use dates because players styles may change over time, and if we have a note from a year ago this may no longer be of use

edit: not sure why i quoted this post, misclicks suck. meant to quote a post related to note caddy
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      i think your playing style should be considered here too, if i was to play nl 0.4 i would play 8-10 tables very solid quite nitty and pretty ABC my Stats would be like 14-10 i guess maybe a bit looser :D

now if i was to open my game up say to 28/24 i would be more comfortable playing half the tables to pay more attention on things

also im terrible about taking notes its a really bad habbit i never sorted out, so what i do is after a session go through hm and make notes as i review my hands.

some very good points were made above about note caddy which i will be using in future, thanks guys