[NL2-NL10] Hand Evaluation Coaching - Homework #26 20.03.12

• veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello PokerStrategists,

as some of you may have heard that we have a homework in each of our No-Limit Hand Evaluation Coachings.

Here is the homework for the coaching from March 20th, please note:

• Everybody is invited to share his thoughts here regardless if you joined the last coaching or not.
      • Whoever is active in the homework threads can get a free database analysis by us which helps you to improve your game.

Find the hand below waiting for you opinions and analysis posted in this thread. Furthermore do not forget to join our next coaching on Tuesday, March 27th at 6 PM GMT.

vs uknown 18 hands 18/6 AF ~4, UTG is a juicy fish I want to keep in the hand

UTG: $16.08 (64.3 bb)
      MP: $26.92 (107.7 bb)
      BB: $26.76 (107 bb)
      Hero (CO): $28.15 (112.6 bb)
      SB: $28.25 (113 bb)
      BTN: $25.25 (101 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q Q
      UTG calls $0.25, MP raises to $1.25, Hero calls $1.25, 4 folds

Flop: ($3.10) 2 7 5 (2 players)
      MP bets $2.21, Hero calls $2.21

Turn: ($7.52) 4 (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero checks

River: ($7.52) T (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $1.75, MP raises to $6.20, Hero calls $4.45
  • 6 replies
    • HansTheGreat
      HansTheGreat
      Bronze
      Until the turn the hand is played standard but there I would still bet. I think there are some hands that are going to call on such a turn card.

As played: The biggest problem is that the player is unknown. I mean is he really capable of playing a set such passively even expecting us to X turn and bet river after his both checks? If yes good play. On the other hand with our small value bet we pretty much are giving him a correct thought and polarized range with what we are thin value betting. So for him is the question are we going to fold to his bluff raise.In my opinion is a villian depedent play I would decide how I saw the player. Against an unknown I would tend to fold even the odds are tempting and we need 22,34% for a break even call.
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Its a really odd hand, no draw got there on the river, only the turn so if he did have the straight why would he bet the flop then check the turn? Maybe attempting to c/r but after we checked back the river would he checked the river again to raise us?

On the other hand the only hand this line really makes sense for is maybe TT? Usually villain is never bluffing in this spot check raising the river, but our line does look like we ve floated the flop, possibly with a draw, checked behind for a free card, rivers a bit of a brick but an okay card for us to try and take the pot down so villain could think we re bluffing when we bet this river and make a bluff c/r. Also our bets so small we re pretty much inducing him to bluff, maybe that was heros plan, which in that case standard call, I think to bet this little and too fold unless we had a strong read would be a mistake, id rather bet like $3.50 on the river and fold to a raise if we re going to fold instead of a bet that makes him want to bluff.
    • KillerFishes
      KillerFishes
      Bronze
      Hi,

Tbh, I don't like calling pre. Yes, ofc we can justify it. However, I still see much more value in 3bet with dead money from MP. He will iso with the fish so often ...

As played:
      F - vs unknown I'm calling here. vs somehow regish player it's good idea to raise him, since we don't represent much and we can get light 3bet
      T - std checkback for river induce, he's deffo betting all OPs here ... I'd say his range is now just overcards heavy...
      R - I like this river induce. MP's range is air heavy and we give him opportunity to bluff his no SD value hands- we represent some thin value which usually b|f...

Still I think he could hit the Tx quite often. JT+, is deffo in his range ... And usually it will be played just like this bet,check, T river value...

That is why I'd raise small on the river to get value from Tx.
      We can get some extra value and I wouldn't care we're not balanced at all ... calling isn't that bad since we got information about cbet|check hand and possibly bluffing range ..

Cya
    • chocular77
      chocular77
      Bronze
      PF: Even if we want to keep UTG in i would 3B for value. So i have the initiative and can control the size of the pot IP. Maybe UTG is even fishy enough to call the 3B.

F: Calling is fine

T: I would bet ~$5 for value

R: I would bet ~1/2 potsize.
      As played: The small size could easily provoke a raise so calling is fine.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello,

Preflop: Great spot to even 3bet for value, especially while he is even rather unknown opponent and doesn't look very good.

As played
      Flop: Raising would be overplayed anyways, I mean why should you be raising the flop when you could just 3bet it preflop for value. Therefore rather 3bet it preflop or flat the flop.
      Turn: You have to bet it here for value + protection. No way I would be checking behind here, there are still a lot of cards which we don't want to see.

As played
      River: With your play you kind of invited him to bluff against you and not much to even comment. :)

Best Regards.
    • AConnor
      AConnor
      Bronze
      u should never precall with qq , cause u r a reg , u have to have a certain dinamic with the other regs and if they c u at showdown with calls pre from qq kk aa with a fish in the pot , that means ur 3 bet includes mostly bluffs, so i would advice to 3 bet qq and call jj- with a fishy involved. if i call , i would never play like that. being a reg his isolating range includes alot of hands that i am ahead of , i think c/r flop should be taken into consideration cause ur hand is vulnerabile 2 any axs type of hand , that has a decent amount of equity against ur queens. plus u will get extra value out of hands like jacks tt 99 and so on , he would be mad to 3b ur raise on the flop even with aces , so i would raise the flop , bet the turn and chk the river, that is imo maximum line of value, u'll say that he has bluffs and u hope to get some extra value from that, but most likely he will never 2brl without any equity and like i said ur hand is face down and vulnerable but most times it is the best hand so why not get some value. don;t mistake low variance plays for non optimised ev situations.