When to move up?

• jleonra
      jleonra
      Bronze
      Well since i'm building a nice BR but haven't played that many SNGs i was wondering when will be the right time to move up to another limit? I play the $1 Turbo SNG at Titan and the $1.5 at Stars, i have a BR of $140 on Titan and $55 on stars, but i have played only arround 200 SNG between the two sites, my ROI on Titan is arround 2.5% and on stars i think is 1.6%, should i wait til i play like 400 more and increase my ROI before moving up? (at least on titan, on stars i'll stay at the 1.5 until i get a bigger roll)
  • 2 replies
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      HI, Jleonra

Nice to see you here! Very player dependent question. I think some of the most important things to consider are :

-How comfortable and confident are you about your game. Do you think you have an edge over rest of the players?
      -How big is your sample, so you can make conclusions?
      -How many BI do you have for the level you want to move up to? Do you tilt more if you run bad once you move on the higher limit? Do you think of the money you lose as BIs or as sum of money?
      -What are your ROI % goals for the higher limit?
      -Probably some other very important questions.

As for your case- Yes, you should play more as 200 games is not big enough of a sample at all. Try playing 1k games on each sites, that should give you a feeling whether you can beat the limit or not, whether you are better in general than most of your opponents. You can't make huge conclusions even after 1k games, but it is a good point to begin with.

If I were you, I will go this way- study hard, post hands in the evaluation forum, discuss different poker topics with friends or other people in our community, play with Wiz/ICM/Nash equilibrium etc.

I won't move up a limit unless- I feel I am better than most of the people I play with, my ROI is at least 7-10%(pretty doable on the micros) over a decent sample(say about 3k+ for stars), I have at least 100 BI for the new limit, I think in terms of BI, not money once I move up ( this is a very common problem for a lot of grinders once they climb up a limit), I think I can beat the limit with a decent ROI.

This all applies if we assume we play on the micros. Later, when you move up and play higher stakes, you will see a lot of RB grinders, but that should not be your approach for micro/low SnG.

Should you have any other questions, please go ahead and post them.
    • jleonra
      jleonra
      Bronze
      thanks kurrkabin, i think your answer is very clear, yes i also think i need to study more and defenitly have a bigger sample, because i'm up one day and down the other and i realized i pretty much suck at postflop and HU, i only do ok at push/fold, but before that and when i'm heads up things start to go wrong.