Blockbetting on flushcards

• Letsdothisish
      Letsdothisish
      Bronze
      I was wondering about something yesterday when I came into this spot against a reg (I play NL SH):

I had QQ initial raiser and played against 1 villain OOP.

Flop was something like J82 with :heart: flushdraw: and I bet, he calls.

Turn something like 5 of :spade: and I bet again, he calls.

River is K of :heart: and I considered my options:

Betting didn't seem like an option since I think there isn't any value, plus I might get raised off the best hand.

Bet/calling seemed like an option if he bluffs a lot on river but I don't see a lot of regs doing this, normally he has a medium strenght hand like AJ for instance and he will check behind with these.

So check/folding is probably the safest way to play this, OR blockbetting 1/3 of pot.

I did and he folded so that put me out of a difficult spot. Anyway I though if he'd raised my blockbet I could have never called. Seems to me a reg can notice a blockbet and raise with any air to pick up the pot.

1) First question arises: do you guys raise any blockbet from a reg if u think he has the best hand but since it's a blockbet he'll fold to a shove most of the time?

Personally I tend to think this can be a major leak if you're playing against opponents who can sense this. That's why I thought about balancing this line with big hands, like made flushes

I could for instance have had A :heart: T :heart: Normally I would bet 3/4 pot on the river for a ton of value, but what is going to call you there?

2) So what about blockbetting with the flush on the river? I don't think I lose any value, if my opponent has a flush himself he will put it all in very often. Plus with such a small bet I might still get value from AJ type of hands, BETTER YET some good thinking regs can notice it's a blockbet and shove with their air and I can easily call.

So what's your opinion about this?
  • 4 replies
    • Letsdothisish
      Letsdothisish
      Bronze
      So, absolutely no opinions about this?
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      On a board like that he has no air. Only air he can have is T9s which is only 3 combos so him having air is a non issue. Given that his most likely hand is either Jx or a flush then bet/folding 1/3pot with your whole range is a solid play.

You get value from a J and you lose the least for when he does have a flush.

Idk what stakes your playing but up to nl200 regs won't turn Jx into a bluff here so your not getting bluffed out of the best hand almost ever. They are way more likely to make a bad call then to raise with a J in a spot like this.
      And if you ballance it with your flushes that your bet/calling then he can't really bluff you since he can run into the nuts and people tend not to make big bluffs unless the villans range is capped. The only hands you lose value against are sets/KJ but thats not such a big part of his range to be concenred with.
    • Slurpee
      Slurpee
      Bronze
      ^ depends on board
      i only play micro's but regs who blockbet frequently are easily exploitable.
    • Letsdothisish
      Letsdothisish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MatejM47
      On a board like that he has no air. Only air he can have is T9s which is only 3 combos so him having air is a non issue. Given that his most likely hand is either Jx or a flush then bet/folding 1/3pot with your whole range is a solid play.

You get value from a J and you lose the least for when he does have a flush.

Idk what stakes your playing but up to nl200 regs won't turn Jx into a bluff here so your not getting bluffed out of the best hand almost ever. They are way more likely to make a bad call then to raise with a J in a spot like this.
      And if you ballance it with your flushes that your bet/calling then he can't really bluff you since he can run into the nuts and people tend not to make big bluffs unless the villans range is capped. The only hands you lose value against are sets/KJ but thats not such a big part of his range to be concenred with.
      Thx for your response. I play up to nl25, so you're probably right, most, if any villains will turn their hands into a bluff in these spots. But I've never heard of anyone balancing these blockbets with flushes though or read about it. Normally I would just bet like half the pot if I would have made my FD on the river so I don't lose any value from sets, 2pair and don't forget some flushes in their range too. So I don't know if this gain of value by betting bigger against the stronger hands weighs up against blockbetting and still getting value from the marginal hands.