SNG Project - 50$ -> 5000$ in 2 weeks?

• Aarnimetsa
      Aarnimetsa
      Bronze
      I'm a SNG grinder and a poker coach from the Finnish community. Yep, from the land of crazy games like wife carrying, mosquito killing and cell phone throwing. I got tired of that cold climate and irritating taxation system, so I recently moved to "south", Tallinn, with my lovely fiancee. You could actually call us a poker couple since we both play poker. She didn't know a thing about poker when we first met but at some point I introduced her to the world of poker and nowadays she even holds an EPT side event win. Actually I got first known at the Finnish community by losing a poker bet to her and then I had to dye my hair bright green. Immediately after that I started as a coach, so go figure...

I played my first poker games some time around 2005 but I didn't take it that seriously. During the last months of 2009 a poker bug bit me again and I grinded a roll up from a bit over a hundred that I had left to PokerStars for some reason. A year after that I started as a Sit'n Go coach within the Finnish community. I have played mainly SNGs on different poker sites, from MTT-SNGs to HUSNGs. If you want to put in only few words: if there is any kind of SNG-game, I have played it and have an opinion about it.

I'm starting this blog because I have A Project. A Big Ass Project.
      I intend to raise $50 -> $5000 in two weeks.

When I refound my interest in poker 2009, Boku87's Challenge was a huge inspiration to me http://10kpropbet.blogspot.com/2009_02_01_archive.html. In short, first he did raise $100 to $10000 in two weeks and after that he started twice with $5 and on the second attempt raised $5 to $100000 in 9 months.

I have wanted to do something similar for a long time and now I have a perfect possibility to try my limits. Just for fun. I'm Finnish but it's probably better to do a massive poker grind than throw cell phones around. When I moved to Estonia I emptied my PokerStars account and left only some FPPs there. This would be a good time to start building my PokerStars bankroll from the scratch.

One of my biggest strengths lies in mathematics, so calculating the odds, planning a reasonable BRM and knowing a TON about SNGs will give me tools to succeed. Completing the challenge requires big time multitabling, a huge amount of grinding hours and an understanding fiancee ;)

I'm also approaching this as a learning project. Before this, I haven't mixed in different structures or even really tested how many tables I can learn to multitable and how long sets I can run if I put my mind into it. If something, in the past I have struggled with putting in hours. I believe it was vonki's blog where I read that it takes 21 days to learn a habit. This is the first 14 days to learn to grind. It's easier to push the envelope when I'm playing for pennies. It's also mentally easier to be wrong with bankroll management plans if I'm playing for a smaller amount of money. I mean if something doesn't go according to my plan, anyway, it could happen.

Why start with 50$? It happens to be the starting capital PokerStrategy gives to new players. I also want to show PokerStrategists all around the world that if you study and grind enough you can rise with the PS starting capital from the micro limits quite quickly, even with a good (but aggressive) bankroll management. I really think that you can raise up from the micros, but at least in the Finnish community, you'll rarely see the whole process of someone doing it and when it happens, it usually takes years. Even when it's 3 years after Boku87 did the challenge, I think it's still possible to multiply your roll 100-fold in two weeks.

I talked about this before the beginning of the project within my Skype groups. I think I got mainly two different responses. Either people thought it's a great idea or they thought it's a retarded idea to grind smaller than you are rolled for. Mainly that's because I would be losing earnings (because I could be playing higher) and stressing about the games (playing with a thin bankroll and having to keep track of the bankroll at all times). Also there were some opinions that playing micros can be hard on my nerves when there's a lot of newbies around.

Monetarily I don't think it's that good of an idea. If I have calculated it correctly, at the beginning I should have about net Finnish McDonald's salary for the first days, but for the whole 2 weeks I should get about half of my normal hourly rate playing poker. Practically this starts to be a good idea monetarily if I have estimated it right and I grind twice as much hours than I would have otherwise grinded.

Practically I'm thinking that if I'm playing enough hours, I should be a lock to reach $1000 during two weeks. I'd think I have about 40-50% chance to hit $2500 and around 10-15% to hit $5000. With these odds, I don't think anyone would bet me for it, when someone has done the same a couple of years ago with a lot of constraints. I think a lot depends on how quickly I can get up in the beginning. If I hit a downswing instantly and I have to grind $0.25 normal speed SNGs, it's probably going to be heartbreaking. On the other hand, if I start running hot and can reach $7 18s or $2.50 180s in a couple of days, I think I'll have a good chance of completing this.

Before this, I have ran 35 tables continuously, but I'm trying to push it during the challenge. I should be getting back to 35 quite quickly, even though I haven't played that amount in a long time. Previously I have done it in 18-men SNGs, where I'll have more hands per hour than in the 45-men and 90-men SNGs which are the games I have to start with. I'm thinking I'll at least try doing 50-tabling at some time during the challenge.

This is it where it will start. While running through the T-money I got from the FPPs, I tested playing 40 tables and it felt allright. I'm probably trying to hit 50 today if I get up to $1 90s and $1.5 45s quickly enough. I just can't open 50 tables at $0.50 games, they just won't run often enough.

My plan is to start out with $0.50 games, both 45-men and 90-men. I'll likely add some 0.25 normals at the beginning to reach higher volume, but I'll try to drop them as soon as possible. Probably at around $85 I'll add $1 90s to the set and at about $100 I'll add $1.5 hypers at the beginning and end of the sets to get the average amount of tables up. At around $110 I could add $1.5 45s. I'll use the FPPs to play 70 and 235 FPP 6-max hypers at the end of my sets.

I just don't see $1.5 STT or 18-men games as an option due to their higher rake than at 45s and 90s. I just can't calculate a way to get a higher hourly in those than I'll get at the 45s and 90s. At around $200 I'll have to make a choice. Do I start playing mainly $3.5 18s or continue playing with breaks and add a small amount of $3.5 45s to the set and drop the $0.50s. At around $450 I'll have the next choice, do I go with $7 18s mixed with $3.5 18s or $1.5 and $3.5 45s and $2.5 180s. The plan should be good for at least a couple of days. Probably it won't be all rainbows and sunshine and I'll hit some speed bumps along the way and need to drop down in stakes. At the very beginning I don't plan to use a very aggressive BRM because I'm horrified I should play only normal speeds $0.25 to get back up. When it's possible to drop down from the higher levels, if needed, to $0.50 turbos instead of $0.25, it's time to move up the aggression.

Let the games begin!
  • 38 replies
    • ryciaga
      ryciaga
      Bronze
      Will be following this :) Good luck :)
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      First of all, welcome to the English Community.
      Secondly, Welcome to blogging!

Will definitely be following this one!
    • qnb07
      qnb07
      Bronze
      so the reason people play MTsngs in these "challenges" rather than normal/hyper 9-6mans is just the lower rake?

gl with your challenge. will definitely follow.
    • VISHMASTER
      VISHMASTER
      Bronze
      Good Luck with the challenge :s_thumbsup:
    • k4ileb
      k4ileb
      Bronze
      this will rock, definetely following. glgl
    • kevvu
      kevvu
      Bronze
      Hey man,
      First welcome to Estonia, I am really sure you know Marek. He said once that his relative moved to Estonia, bought place in Tiskre, not 100% sure :D . I dont remember that are you his relative or your fiance, but we should defenitely do something together pokerwise and partywise ;) .
      Good luck with your Project =) . Will follow it, hope u suceed in it.
    • Mark1790
      Mark1790
      Gold
      Good luck.
    • BustoTinker
      BustoTinker
      Bronze
      You should give them some update ;) I give you the honor to tell them how you have done ;D
    • alxpoker91
      alxpoker91
      Gold
      good luck with your challenge
    • Aarnimetsa
      Aarnimetsa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BustoTinker
      You should give them some update ;) I give you the honor to tell them how you have done ;D
      Well, I'm more thinking about doing it day by day, like it has been going on in the Finnish blog. If you try to search me on Stars (same nick as here), you'll probably see that I'm not playing 0.50$ games any more. This challenge has been going on for 8 days already.

I'll include a sneak peek however. This is the amount of hands played during the first week:

• BLOWMEBABE
      BLOWMEBABE
      Bronze
      Tere, tere! I do not know why but my heart says that this blog will be one of the most interesting what i have read. Gl/hf I will definitely follow to it.
    • Gavron23
      Gavron23
      Bronze
      Sounds like a fun blog and a fun challenge - GL :) .
      But the way if it is not a secret - what limits do you usually play and how much tables at once?
    • Aarnimetsa
      Aarnimetsa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by qnb07
      so the reason people play MTsngs in these "challenges" rather than normal/hyper 9-6mans is just the lower rake?
      Attainable ROIs are higher in MTTSNGs as well. Also volume isn't that much different, when I can play more tables in MTTSNGs compared to STTs.

STTs start to be a better option when buyins get higher, when MTTSNGS just don't run.
    • Aarnimetsa
      Aarnimetsa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kevvu
      Hey man,
      First welcome to Estonia, I am really sure you know Marek. I dont remember that are you his relative or your fiance, but we should defenitely do something together pokerwise and partywise ;) .
      Thanks for the welcomes and good luck. I know Marek and we're related.

Something poker or partywise sounds great :D
    • Aarnimetsa
      Aarnimetsa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gavron23

But the way if it is not a secret - what limits do you usually play and how much tables at once?
      It's not a secret, on Stars last time that I have really grinded, I have done about 30 tables of 18-men SNGs ranging from 15-60, added some 100s in the mix now and then as well. Also added some 30$ hypers at the beginnings and ends of my sets to push up amount of tables during the time I play. But that was about 6 months ago, this project is a bit about getting back to grinding after a break.
    • Aarnimetsa
      Aarnimetsa
      Bronze
      Waiting for food before starting another set, so this is probably a brilliant time to do the first update here.

Day 1, Set 1

Problems during the first break, returned to tables about 2 minutes late and had to play 42 tables without timebanks. Just gotta rely on Tableninja to get me out of sitout whenever I get there.

Run has been quite horrible so far.

Tested 45 tables during the set, but I'm not quick enough for it. Continuing with 40 tables until I'll get that set running without timebanking.

In the middle of my sets I noticed that my VIP Club progress bar looks surprisingly empty. Stars support reinstated me to Goldstar which should have been the level I should have held on January, because it took a while to move me to PokerStars.EE.

Could have begun better, set includes playing only one table for 40 minutes. Gotta get up to 100$ to have an option to add hypers if my set ends in such a fashion again. On the other hand, if it would have started on like game 117, I would probably tried adding 1$ 90s after the first two hours. Variance.

Day 1, Set 2

Finished the day in just two sets. Played 398 games during the day. I'd think if I average that, I would have pretty good chance at doing the whole 50$ -> 5000$. More could of course be even better. For some reason, I couldn't find 70 FPP hypers at the end of my set and couldn't play through the points. More to play after the next set I presume.

Most of the set was played with 40 tables continuously, but I tried 45. There were times I purposedly dropped some tables when I was having too much on my plate with the shorter tables. 12 hours of playing 40 tables, but hitting only 345 table hours. 1-tabling for 40 minutes isn't a brilliant idea with a challenge like this. Tomorrows goal will be to continue on with 40 tables and rise to a level where they respect my raises ;)

I don't like woulda-coulda talks that much and in the plan it reads that I should replace such talks with brutal volume. But anyways, I looked at the HEM reports and noticed that there's a reason why there were practically no wins today, when there's only 90000 chips on average in my games, getting that many seconds into victories could have got me up to a hundred already.

I was waiting for a upswing for a long time and the day was a bit slow to start. Nice 80 buyin upswing during the middle of the day. My prediction was to hit somewhere around 12-15 cents / game, but now I have been at about half of it. My wish was to add higher games after 50-300 games, but tomorrow I'll return to the same grind.

Real life runbad, washing machine broke. During about two hours during the set, odor in here was horrible. Probably should have expected it, it's after all at least two months old already. Nothing sucks like a Hoover, I guess?
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Welcome to our blogs section and wot a hairdo!! :D
    • murrrsu
      murrrsu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Aarnimetsa
      Hey man,
      First welcome to Estonia, I am really sure you know Marek. I dont remember that are you his relative or your fiance, but we should defenitely do something together pokerwise and partywise ;) .

Partywise sounds good!

Yep, I'm the better half :f_love:
    • kevvu
      kevvu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by murrrsu
      Originally posted by Aarnimetsa
      Hey man,

Partywise sounds good!

Yep, I'm the better half :f_love:
      LOL, we should arrange something in near future ;) .