$4.06
      UTG1:
      $4.06
      UTG2:
      $1.02
      MP1:
      $4.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, J.
      UTG1 raises to $0.14, 7 folds, Hero calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.3) 6, 8, Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG1 checks.

Turn: ($0.3) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, UTG1 calls $0.20.

River: ($0.7) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.52, UTG1 raises to $1.40, Hero folds, UTG1 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.22.

villain is 14/12 after 1.1k hands

I wasn't sure what to do here and felt he was either bluffing or trapping.
  • 6 replies
    • HansTheGreat
      HansTheGreat
      Bronze
      Ask yourself why are you donking the river against a UTG OR range. From what do you want to get a call?Just from 99,TT? But that is it against such a tight player.
    • thebaptist333
      thebaptist333
      Bronze
      Well I donked turn first because I legitimately thought I had the best hand and didn't want to give the villain a cheap chance to catch an ace or a king, I think he'll float me here with AK, AJ, 88+ and maybe AT or KQ. On the river I'm betting for value, I guess I could chk to induce, but I thought he might think I'm stealing since I call pre, chk flop and donk turn, so he might call me light.

That was my thought process throughout the hand.
    • HansTheGreat
      HansTheGreat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thebaptist333
      Well I donked turn first because I legitimately thought I had the best hand and didn't want to give the villain a cheap chance to catch an ace or a king, I think he'll float me here with AK, AJ, 88+ and maybe AT or KQ. On the river I'm betting for value, I guess I could chk to induce, but I thought he might think I'm stealing since I call pre, chk flop and donk turn, so he might call me light.

That was my thought process throughout the hand.
      But the biggest question is against what hands is this for value? Only against 99,TT from such a tight player. Also remember he is OR UTG so his range is going to be pretty much polarized.

Preflop UTG range:

Board: 6:diamond: 8:heart: Q:club:  2:spade:  7:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    54.48%  53.73%   0.75% { 77+, AJs+, KQs, AQo+ }
      BB     45.52%  44.78%   0.75% { JdJh }

So what can call you(I m going to exclude A high since I doubt that such a player is going to call):

Board: 6:diamond: 8:heart: Q:club:  2:spade:  7:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    74.49%  73.47%   1.02% { 77+, AQs, KQs, AQo }
      BB     25.51%  24.49%   1.02% { JdJh }

As you can see not much value overall
      But again depending on his W$SD I would decide if I would X/F or X/C and of course the odds should be taken into account.
    • thebaptist333
      thebaptist333
      Bronze
      I see your point. One interesting stat to note is that his pre flop opening raise from early position is 11% which is 1 percent less than his overall average; this tells me that he probably doesn't care too much about position. Can we still give his utg raise the same respect here?

11% could put just about any pp in his range plus hands like AT, A9s, KQ, even KTs at a stretch.
    • HansTheGreat
      HansTheGreat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thebaptist333
      I see your point. One interesting stat to note is that his pre flop opening raise from early position is 11% which is 1 percent less than his overall average; this tells me that he probably doesn't care too much about position. Can we still give his utg raise the same respect here?

11% could put just about any pp in his range plus hands like AT, A9s, KQ, even KTs at a stretch.
      Well of course, you can if he is opening so wide form UTG. But even if you add the whole bunch of them the problem is still going to be that only broadways with Q are going to call or if you think he is capable of paying with hero calls, 22,33 or whatsover. Your hand is just perfect to turn it into a bluff catcher if you plan do to so. As a PFR the story would be different.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello thebaptist333,

With just few stats as VPIP/PFR I can't really do anything here. :D Neither I don't know if I can bet for value the river or not, neither I don't know if he is bluffing or not. :) So if you really want to get a better evaluation then post more information of the opponent. You have enough of hands on him so a lot of stats would be useful here as AF/AF on river/WTSD/W$SD/CB and etc.

According to that we could base either to Bet the river for value or not. But I don't really see how we can bet so big for value there.

Best Regards.