[NL2-NL10] NL5 KJ IP in a 3-betted pot

• spadek
      spadek
      Bronze
      Hi! The villain here is 55/32 (VPIP/PFR), 93 hands played so far. Opening wide and doesn't really seem to be variating his ranges too much in different positions. I'll make an isolation raise as I know he will call my 3-bet often with a worse hand and I can pick up the pot with a cbet.

When He checkraises I thought it would be too weak to fold but totally spewy to reraise though he had made a few checkraises earlier. At this point I figure the top of his range To be JJ-QQ and AJ. Otherwise i guess i'm ahead. I figure he could easily have some straight draws and flushdraws. Since the opponent has been aggressive postflop as well i don't want to bet on the turn because he might even check shove and then i'd have to fold. When I check back the turn my intention is to call the river bet with anything but Ace or any spade.

Poker Stars $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1699902
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: $5.00

BB: $5.00
      UTG: $18.67
      MP: $5.34
      Hero (CO): $5.54
      BTN: $5.36

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is CO with J :heart: K :club:
      UTG raises to $0.15, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.44, 3 folds, UTG calls $0.29

Flop: ($0.95) J :spade: T :spade: 2 :heart: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.60, UTG raises to $1.50, Hero calls $0.90

Turn: ($3.95) 4 :diamond: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($3.95) 9 :club: (2 players)
      UTG bets $3.60, Hero calls $3.60 all in
  • 4 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello spadek,

Welcome to the English NL Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Preflop: With KJo I would definitely not 3bet for value in that spot, especially not even a very good sample, just 93 hands. If you even want to play the hand then rather just call and keep his wide range in the pot.

As played
      Flop: What about his postflop information/stats? What do you beat vs his Check/Raising range?

As played
      Turn: Why do you Check behind the turn then when you Call the flop? You are giving away free cards while the board is super drawy.

As played
      River: Straight even completes, I can't really see what we beat.

Best Regards.
    • spadek
      spadek
      Bronze
      Since the blinds were kinda loose as well and I was fairly sure MP was gonna call I figured I could isolate even though the hand it self was not that strong. He did fold a lot of hands to flop cbets.

Based on the fact that the board is like that where he could easily have made some draws with his broadway hands I think I have like at least 40% equity against his checkraising range (QQ-TT,55,AQs-AJs,KJs+,QJs,AsKs,AQo,KQo). I think there can also be bluffs at time to time. Since he had made those moves earlier I added some top pair hands in his range as well because wasn't completely sure I can exclude them. On the turn I didn't really pay enough attention to the stack sizes but I think it would have been better to protect my hand by shoving and take value from those strong draws like AsQs which are now behind and would pretty likely call.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      He did fold a lot of hands to flop cbets.

Well, if you say this then why do you think he would even bluff here?

Board: 2:heart: J:spade: T:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    66.51%  64.88%   1.64% { TT+, 55, 22, AJs, KJs+, QJs, JTs, AsKs }
      UTG+1  33.49%  31.85%   1.64% { KcJh }

I would rather Bet/Fold it on the flop without any specific information and of course as I mentioned I wouldn't be 3betting.
    • spadek
      spadek
      Bronze
      Although this was the first session with him I had noticed he did play his draws aggressively and based on that I figured he could very well be semibluffing. I excluded all the bluffing hands and left only AJ and QJ for the top pair hands and got the following match up:

MP2 24.08% 23.68% 0.40% KhJd
      MP3 75.92% 75.52% 0.40% QQ-TT, AJs, QJs, JTs, AsKs, AsQs, KsQs, As9s, AJo

And if I exclude QJ I have only ~19%.
      Checked the turn as well and now I see your point :D Guess I put too much bluffs and semibluffs in his range than there could have possibly been. Should have given up the flop. Thanks for the analysis really opened my eyes!