3 bet stats

• roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Hello

I am just reading through the new stats evalution thread in the bss basic articles and i'm struggling to understand a part of it

its about 3 bet stats

"Just the fact of having to use primary position values makes it clear that the sample size needs to be fairly large. The most HUDs don't just show you the percentage, but also the number of observed cases. This is a good way of checking the significance of the values when interpreting stats"

Does this mean that the 3 bet stats on my hem are a percentage but there is another way of checking them ie.. "observed cases" what stat is this and what does it mean ?
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      When you open the main popup you will have in brackets the number of situations. Say someone could 3bet 10 times and only did 2 twice. In the main popup it will show as 20% (10). When the situations are many and become very relevant, the brackets just disappear. That number there is actually put so that you don't overestimate a stat like 3bet which needs more than just hands played with the opponent, it needs 3betting opportunities.

Hope it helps!
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      3bet stat is in percentage, but it can be very misleading on small sample size and that's where observed cases come in play. Let's say 3bet is 20% which is huge so either he is a crazy maniac or he is just a regular player but got a few lucky hands in a row. This is when you start looking at observed cases to figure out what is going on. Observed cases show the amount he 3bet from the amount of hands (lol I'm terrible at explaining). As an example 20/100. So it shows 100 hands where he could have 3betted but he actually did 3bet on 20 hands. So from that his 3bet % is 20. Same 3bet percentage of 20 could be achieved of 1/5 so then he just got one good hand and it says nothing about him. We can't tell how the player plays from just 5 hands but from 100 we could and in both cases you would be looking at the same 3bet stat. This is why you should always have a stat that show the number of hands you have on that player so then you could faster draw conclusion how he plays.

edit: Damn it, I'm second.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Thanks guys :f_thumbsup:

Really helpfull answers I have seen the brackets in my pop-up but that is not how I interpeted them!! (It was one of those ahaaaa moments :) )
      This is so usefull to know as many other stats have them too!

Thanks

Roo