Live £10 tourney

• inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      Blinds are 400/200, we're 7 handed. I've got 10400 in my stack and BB - a good, thinking player - has me covered. I've got a reputation of a nit.

UTG folds, I'm UTG+1 with 55, I limp, all fold, SB completes and BB calls.

Flop: K24 rainbow.
      Pot: 1200

SB check, BB check... My thinking here is I'm happy to fold out JQ, and random overcards because I'd hate every turn.

I tank and bet about 600. SB folds, BB raises to about 3k.

My thinking was: with most pairs and a strong king he'd raise pf, with pairs that he doesn't raise pre he'd call behind for pot control. Why would he be raising this dry board? This raise doesn't make much sense to me. I concluded that he sees my bet as a stab at the flop and bluff re-raised me. I shove the remaining chips.

What do you think about the play?

He called and had a weak King
  • 5 replies
    • TheRebuz
      TheRebuz
      Platinum
      no one raise nits in live MTT as bluff on dry board

and btw BB can have K4/42/K2/ KT and he is not raising those hands pre imo
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Why are you open limping? I really don't like it. You are not building a pot and most of the times you won't get action postflop if you hit your set since your hand is faced up.

Flop:
      I don't see the point in shoving here. BB literally has any two cards (thanks to your preflop open limp) and therefore it's impossible to give him a reasonable range. He might have KT+, 22, 44, 66+, K2, K4, 42. All of these hands are in front against you and most of the times they will call your shove. Since he is check/raising i give him a lot of respect in that spot. You haven't invested many chips into the pot and the best action would be to fold imo.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      Thanks guys, I thought it might've been a mistake

Cheers
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      also if you do think he's full of it (and no one sizes it so if they are), then calling is usually better than shipping it in when you have showdown value like so.

a lot of the mistake is made preflop though: you should be in raise or fold mood already when you are playing this stacksize, even 30bb i do not like limping my small pairs.
    • inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      Yeah, I completely agree. No real explanation for the play I've made! Nervousness might've contributed.

I limped pre because I wanted to see a flop cheaply, and most of the players behind me were on the passive side. Also, I was afraid of getting involved with the 3-bet happy sharks so picked a passive line.

On the flop... well, I guess I talked myself into it.

Constantly learning!

Thanks for all responses, appreciate it
      Matt