The Art of Folding the Cards

• albertkasper2012
      albertkasper2012
      Basic
      While many players spend hour perfecting their bluffing skills and learning to look for tells in other players, the art of folding is often overlooked. Believe it or not, it is possible to fold every hand and end up in the top 50% in any given online poker tournament! Human nature makes many of us believe that the other players at the table are bluffing and that your Ace/King draw is enough to win you the big pot but the art of folding is based on smart, conservative play. Folding with cards you don't have full confidence in will help minimize your losses, which funny enough, increase your profits made on your strong hands.
  • 14 replies
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      :O So you're suggesting some sort of tight aggressive (TAG) style?!?!
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      this tight aggressive thing sounds quite interesting, i say
      are we on to some revolutionary discovery here?
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      its also possible to win a tournament by shoving every hand, lets test our strategs hands up? ill shove every hand and you practice the art of folding?
    • Slurpee
      Slurpee
      Bronze
      so i tried this strat today on 10NL 6max... and well.. i folded like 300 hands but i still didn't win one?? i don't get it i thought i would atleast break even...
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      you can play TAG but a lot position + mindset > hand
    • mute20
      mute20
      Bronze
      Obviously folding card where you think you are beat is the optimal choice. Sometimes you just need to go for it. Sometimes knowing that your beat is better than just thinking you are beat. To often I find I am folding just cause I became to pessimistic and thinking I am behind.
    • roastedchippy
      roastedchippy
      Bronze
      I usually fold if I'm in early or middle position because someone might raise right after me, unless I have an over pair or fairly strong hands. If you find yourself short stacked in a tournament, folding and waiting for a big hand is advisable. It can be frustrating when you fold more often times than not, but that will keep you from losing your bank roll too quickly. Slow and steady :)
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roastedchippy
      I usually fold if I'm in early or middle position because someone might raise right after me, unless I have an over pair or fairly strong hands. If you find yourself short stacked in a tournament, folding and waiting for a big hand is advisable. It can be frustrating when you fold more often times than not, but that will keep you from losing your bank roll too quickly. Slow and steady :)
      no wonder you are a 2012er and w/ 3 posts
    • croyz
      croyz
      Bronze
      Texas fold'em poker :f_p:
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      lol
    • Alieaz
      Alieaz
      Bronze
      Welcome to the community. I suggest you get an account linked to poker strategy here and become a bronze member. I strongly suggest you read up on more advanced pre-flop and post-flop play once you have access to the appropriate articles.

In the early stages of a sit and go folding is almost always the best play. In fact you really should wait for premium holdings and let the others bleed chips. In full ring cash games this is mostly true aswell. We wait for the best hands OOP and strong holdings MP and throw in speculative hands when we have the best positions etc...

But once you get a bit more familiar with poker you'll find it is often correct to play more hands. Short-handed poker is fast-paced and action-packed... not really for beginners but I highly recommend it once you are more confident in your play.

Good luck at the tables!
    • roastedchippy
      roastedchippy
      Bronze
      Hey Phantommm92,

From the looks of your profile, it seems you've been here since the end of time with over 1000 posts. Well, good for you. It probably wasn't easy to reach where you are right now when you first started. Keep up with your dedication, I'm sure you're a top notch player. :) I just recently started so I'm just trying to work my way up slowly, this isnt a full time career of choice, I'm just here to improve and play for fun.
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      So OP, you recommend folding when you perceive yourself to be behind? I guess if we put this together with betting when we are likely ahead we could have a workable poker strategy. Have you thought of writing some sort of book expanding on this concept?
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      Meh, folding is overated. If I think im beat ill just raise and pray to the fold equity God that I like to call Lucy.

Im pretty damn good at folding the winning hand though.