From Micros to Mid Stakes in 12 Months

• Alieaz
      Alieaz
      Bronze
      Dear Poker Strategists,

My name is Drew and I am a hobby player at the micros. I currently play mostly NLHE4/5/6/10 6max, depending on the games available, with a $200 roll. I initially started with $60 so I am fairly happy with my success thus far.

My goals are simple for this year: I will try to build my roll to between $6000-$10000 and be at least taking shots at NL$200 by the end of this year. I do not underestimate the difficulty of this but I am counting on you all to help me work through some tough spots on my journey.

*** I will achieve this by putting in at least 5000 hands a week, aiming for 20,000 a month and about 250,000 by this time next year.

***Playing a few but not lots of carefully selected tables to focus on my game closely and avoid making autopilot decisions that can lead to a drop in winrate.

***Attend NL coachings as much as possible.

***Post hands for review whenever I am faced with the thought "what the f*** do I do now?"

***Organise sweats with keen community members

***When I have gotten to $500 organise a database analysis and private coaching with one or more of the PS coaches.

Lately I have been playing at one of the Pacific skins, 888Poker, which has pretty terrible rake but decent table selection for my stakes. I will be playing between 1-4 tables. 1 table max of NL10, 2 tables max of NL6, 3 tables max of NL5 and 4 tables max NL4 so I am never risking more than about 10% of my roll at one time.

Recently I bought HEM2 and, due to an earthquake last december which wrecked my PC set up, will essentially be building a database from scratch. Hopefully PTR will get Pacific hands up soon and I can pull those hands down again for review.

The team at Micros to Mid Stakes wish you lots of luck at the tables,

Drew
  • 9 replies
    • Alieaz
      Alieaz
      Bronze

VPIP 27.2% PFR 21.9% 3bet 5.8% WTSD 28.3 % W$SD 47.6% AF 3.1 CbetF 79%

TOTAL HANDS: 1079 Winnings: $9.78 bb/100: 13.58

The start of this session began with Roopopper watching me play and we talked through a number of spots where we both are less sure of what to do. Most of it revolves around Top pair type hands Ooop on the turn or river when draws come in. Often this may mean bet-fold lines...

Here are a few hands below that I considered pretty tough:

Set turned ugly

Cassava Poker $0.03/$0.06 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players -
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

CO: $6.22
      Hero (BTN): $9.07
      SB: $11.21
      BB: $4.76
      UTG: $5.70

Pre Flop: ($0.09) Hero is BTN with 8 :heart: 8 :diamond:
      UTG calls $0.06, CO calls $0.06, Hero raises to $0.30, SB calls $0.27, 2 folds, CO calls $0.24

Flop: ($1.02) 8 :spade: A :diamond: J :diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, CO checks, Hero bets $0.76, SB calls $0.76, CO calls $0.76

Turn: ($3.30) 3 :club: (3 players)
      SB checks, CO checks, Hero bets $1.65, SB calls $1.65, CO calls $1.65

River: ($8.25) 9 :diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, CO bets $3.51, Hero ???

Doh. Our very loose and passive opponent has shoved into us on the worst possible river. It seems very likely we are beat...

Top pair 2nd kicker

Cassava Poker $0.03/$0.06 No Limit Hold'em - 3 players -
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BB: $3.67
      Hero (BTN): $11.50
      SB: $2.58

Pre Flop: ($0.09) Hero is BTN with K :heart: Q :diamond:
      Hero raises to $0.18, 1 fold, BB calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.39) Q :club: T :heart: 3 :diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.25, BB calls $0.25

Turn: ($0.89) 8 :spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.44, BB calls $0.44

River: ($1.77) 7 :heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.70, BB raises to $2.80, Hero ???

Not many draws came in but villain is fairly tight and passive from what we've seen from 16 hands 23/3.He could have QT, AQ, possible J9s and even a flopped set of TT or 33. But what to make of his x/r on the river?? Seems strange and a little suspicious..
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Following :f_thumbsup:
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey interesting goals! i have similar :D

my feedback on the hands...

hand1:
      flop bet seems ok although i think given the draw AND the fact that you are 3way maybe bet closer to the pot.

turn bet is where the problem really lies. since they both called i really think you should bet big now ~pot size. if they both call this i think check/fold river is best since they havent shown aggression yet and their play both indicate draws. 2 draws got there on the river and if you bet you prob won't get a weaker hand to call unless it's some random ace. other than that you're beaten by oversets, 2pairs, straights and flushes. the problem is cos of the bet sizes its hard to say whether they actually have the hand or if they read weakness into your bets and are trying to push you off on the river. i guess it's possible but i think its way more likely to be a monster that has you beat.

hand2:
      i guess similar problem here - bet more on the turn i think. you havent got much of a reason to think you are behind given their play so you should prob play for value and protection vs draws. by betting 50% pot you are letting them draw cheaply so i think definitely look at bet sizing..

i dont normally play 6max but these are my ideas on the hands! i'll be following the blog :D
    • Alieaz
      Alieaz
      Bronze
      Thought as much... close to pot then shove line much better for set hand and 3/4 2/3 for tp hand seems better in hindsight. Ahhh hindsight

I should probably have checked top pair on the river against a tight opponent. Bet folding seems to make more sense against a loose and passive opponent... who will call down with many weaker hands but there are fewer hands I can be called with and be good at the river against this villain. My bet on the river was a thin value bet and there is a chance it was read as weakness as you mentioned...
    • Alieaz
      Alieaz
      Bronze
      If he did bluff here I imagine it was with a hand like KJ....
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Just want to say a really big thanks for all your help with my game yesterday :)

Roo
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      I would prob bet bigger on the turn, it's so few combos of a flush that I would be inclined to call his river bet, we just got to have right about 30% of the time, and I think he can have hands like two pairs etc.
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      Hand 2 is a difficult one, I would have checked river personally (though would that be the/a correct line?)
    • Alieaz
      Alieaz
      Bronze
      I have decided to move to Australia. The next month will be hellishly busy as I scramble to get my shit sorted by April 30th. Forgive me if blog posts are a little sporadic over the next few weeks though I should find some time for grinding. Once I get to Australia I will sorting out a casual/part time job and a flat to hold me over for a bit until I find some regular gigs and a nice dwelling place. My reasons for leaving are pretty simple: a) I am a musician and there just isn't enough work here b) an earthquake fucked up this town (christchurch) pretty bad and with it a lot of the venues and scene with it c) the combination of the two (as well as constant aftershocks) are causing a lot of stress and my health has suffered. Once settled in oz I will be aiming to update this blog more regularly with graphs, interesting/tough spots for you to solve and general personal info. Hope life treats you all well in the meantime.