• yaku
      Hi, i'm 25 and from Austria.

I've been playing poker (nl hold'em) causually for about 5 years, sometimes online, sometimes offline, sometimes cash games, sometimes tournaments of various sizes, so my game is not particullary suited to a certain playing style.

I've read the Harrigton on Hold'em Tournament books and learned quite alot from them. And now i want to further develop my poker play by doing this beginners course and playing a lot of online poker.

• 2 replies
    • yaku
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)
      I like the game. I like the concept of the game. I like how you have to 'outsmart' your opponents. I like the mathematical components of the game and how deep you can analyze your game.
      And it also helps that you can earn money from the game. ;)

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I think my greatest weakness at the time is that i'm not aware of most of my weaknesses.
      The main weakness i know of at the time is that i'm often uncomfortably while playing when situations arise where my opponents don't act like they 'should' (donk bets, floating, etc.) or things don't go as planned.
      But i'm hoping with pracitse, analysing and studying i can identify my weaknesses and eleminate them.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Playing thight aggressive poker means to pick your hands carefully pre-flop and play them aggressivly pre- and post-flop.
      By choosing your hands carefully you try to gain an edge over your opponents by playing hands that dominate theirs or are generally better than theirs.
      And by playing aggressive poker you try to pressure your opponents in a way that they have to make the tough decisions and hopefully make errors in the process, which gains you money.
    • veriz
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.