Beginner's tips for shorthanded BSS in the micro's

    • tomthebom28
      tomthebom28
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.12.2008 Posts: 56
      Who has some tips for beating the micro's six handed? I just got started and I think some tips might prove to be very helpful. I currently play on the ipoker network. I think I might be to nitty as i don't get a lot of action on my good hands
  • 24 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.01.2010 Posts: 13,909
      iPoker is just naturally nitty. My first advice would be to change network. :D
    • bacyla
      bacyla
      Bronze
      Joined: 09.02.2010 Posts: 34
      try to change tables... look for bad players, make notes, mark nits multitablers and fishes... it will be easier to play..im playing ipoker NL2 too and have no problems
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.11.2011 Posts: 2,121
      Some tips that help me:

      :heart: Just try to get silver status and read the documents here on the site, watch videos and visit coachings.
      :heart: In the beginning: don't play too many hands (I play now 19/17 on average but have also session of 14/10).
      :heart:D on't try fancy plays on the micros, it doesn't work.
      :heart:D on't bluff only cbet sometimes for bluff.
      :heart: Post hands in the judge-section.
      :heart: Have a good mindset. SH can be very swingy and tilting if you get cooler after cooler.
      :heart: Start with one or two tables.

      I play on Ongame (NL4) and Stars (NL5) and think the game there is beatable. Ongame is very soft imo.
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      Joined: 22.03.2011 Posts: 677
      and when you spot regs, avoid them like the plague, they are NOT your target :)
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.04.2009 Posts: 1,883
      Originally posted by booomm
      and when you spot regs, avoid them like the plague, they are NOT your target :)
      If you spot a reg at NL2/NL5/NL10 then you've found a player so bad he hasn't been able to move up. How is that not a target? :s_love:
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.05.2010 Posts: 1,464
      Originally posted by bacyla
      try to change tables... look for bad players, make notes, mark nits multitablers and fishes... it will be easier to play..im playing ipoker NL2 too and have no problems
      yeah right, you'r at nl2 and have no problems :coolface:
    • tomthebom28
      tomthebom28
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.12.2008 Posts: 56
      Originally posted by phantommm92
      Originally posted by bacyla
      try to change tables... look for bad players, make notes, mark nits multitablers and fishes... it will be easier to play..im playing ipoker NL2 too and have no problems
      yeah right, you'r at nl2 and have no problems :coolface:
      Since you're the one without problems, you should be able to give the nl2 players some nice advice:facepalm: . I'm okay with trolling as long as you add something useful too
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.05.2010 Posts: 1,464
      and i'm ok with trolling even without adding anything useful. there are just tons of useful advises, take em.
    • bacyla
      bacyla
      Bronze
      Joined: 09.02.2010 Posts: 34
      i do not have problems with regs.. cause i do not play them with any card.. im at nl2 cuse of my micro bankroll.. i just learn to play.. and i think there is no shame to play NL2
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Joined: 03.08.2009 Posts: 13,321
      the key to crushing microstakes ipoker is identifying who the bots are and how to play profitably against them.

      I wish I was joking.
    • tomthebom28
      tomthebom28
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.12.2008 Posts: 56
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      the key to crushing microstakes ipoker is identifying who the bots are and how to play profitably against them.

      I wish I was joking.
      So, how should I identify and beat them?
    • tomthebom28
      tomthebom28
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.12.2008 Posts: 56
      Who's got any tips for the postflop play? What to do with bottom and middle pairs or with draws? What are good moments to bluff? I have the idea i'm getting in to weird spots with those hands.

      I don't have a HUD, does that make a big difference in the micro's six handed?
    • Letsdothisish
      Letsdothisish
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.02.2009 Posts: 995
      Originally posted by tomthebom28
      Who's got any tips for the postflop play? What to do with bottom and middle pairs or with draws? What are good moments to bluff? I have the idea i'm getting in to weird spots with those hands.

      I don't have a HUD, does that make a big difference in the micro's six handed?
      Always play your draws aggressively in SH, it get players off the better hand, still gives you some equity if you get it in and last but not least gives you an agressive image so you get paid of with your monsters. Ther's no use playing tight ABC poker in SH.

      Bottom pairs should obviously be played with caution. You can use your middle pairs against opponents who are agressive and bluff a lot, to show them you're willing to go to SD against them with a marginal hand. But keep the pot small by checking behind for instance.

      Good moments to bluff is when you think your opponent has nothing :) But seriously my opinion is that you should use a HUD to see if people are bluffable or not, and you will get way more information which you can use to 3bet bluff for instance. You'll use a HUD sometime it doesn't make any sense not using it at the micros.
    • michel2311
      michel2311
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.11.2011 Posts: 2,121
      Good moments to bluff on the micros...........none!!!! The only time that I bluff is when I cbet. Only stats that I use are VPIP and PFR other stats are only reliable when you have a big sample and this will not happen because you will move up fast. :D

      If you want to beat the micros first learn to play preflop and then go to the postflop part. Playing tight, not nitty, preflop puts you in lesser marginal spots. Valuebet your monsters and play marginal hands passive or fold them.

      You can also follow the beginners course (mainly fullring) but I learned a lot there as SH-player.
    • notwhatuthink
      notwhatuthink
      Global
      Joined: 07.08.2009 Posts: 905
      Originally posted by michel2311
      You can also follow the beginners course (mainly fullring) but I learned a lot there as SH-player.
      Agreed, it was very helpful for me, too. I always sucked at SH before...
    • tomthebom28
      tomthebom28
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.12.2008 Posts: 56
      Yesterday, I found out that it helps when there are really stupid people on your table. I was playing nl 2sh, and some guy starts raising everything, and shoving every flop where he gets second pair. All i had to do was calling with toppair :s_biggrin: .

      The pot before that one, i was on the button and the maniac was in the small blind, i got 99. I 3-bet the initial raiser in the cutoff (who was very aggressive) and the maniac instant shoves $3,80 over my $0,20 3-bet. I had seen him shove with hands like 5Ko before, but that was when he was very shortstacked. I folded, because i didn't know what to do with it. I don't have a HUD, so i can't post a HH or stats here.

      So, what would you have done?
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.01.2011 Posts: 6,901
      well, these guys are fun but cause very high variance, all in all still +EV though

      i assume you both were deepstacked? against this type of guy i think you are often still ahead, but certainly fine to avoid the variance spot
      safer to wait for a good spot postflop, like a good tp
    • tomthebom28
      tomthebom28
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.12.2008 Posts: 56
      He was deep, i had about 80 bbs
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      Joined: 22.03.2011 Posts: 677
      Originally posted by tomthebom28
      Yesterday, I found out that it helps when there are really stupid people on your table. I was playing nl 2sh, and some guy starts raising everything, and shoving every flop where he gets second pair. All i had to do was calling with toppair :s_biggrin: .

      The pot before that one, i was on the button and the maniac was in the small blind, i got 99. I 3-bet the initial raiser in the cutoff (who was very aggressive) and the maniac instant shoves $3,80 over my $0,20 3-bet. I had seen him shove with hands like 5Ko before, but that was when he was very shortstacked. I folded, because i didn't know what to do with it. I don't have a HUD, so i can't post a HH or stats here.

      So, what would you have done?
      even though the guy is a maniac, I think it is unlikely that he 4bet shoves with worse then JT or something, maybe a 20% chance he had 22-88.
      but no shame in folding and waiting for a better spot imo
    • 1
    • 2