List of Encountered Problems so far

• YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      I regret I purchased HEM2 for the reason that it is not yet past the beta or even the alpha stage. Nonetheless:

Problem 1 (temporarily resolved): Postgres tricky (to say the least) to install. The postgres service runs under the postgres user account. This account apparantly has insufficient access on my computer. The account exists, but I can't see it in ControllPanel->UserAccounts (yes, I'm admin on my computer) so I can't change its priviliges, nor can I create a new account with the name postgres.

Temporary Solution: Let service postgres log in under "local account".

Problem 2 (unresolved): TableScannerDllLoader crashes (.net 2 runtime)
      Attempts: Get fresh .net 2 runtime. This fails because it will not install.

Problem 3 (unresolved): Holde'm Manager crashes (.net 4 runtime) after ca 30 seconds.
      LAST EDIT: Attempts: Get fresh .net 4 runtime. This succeeds but doesn't help.

Had I known that HEM 2 uses .net I'd have considered not even getting the trial version. Even if I'll get it up and running eventually, .net framework is to bulgy, slow and buggy for this sort of app. In this respect HEM2 is very similar to Elephant.

Oh, yes, forgot that. Any help is appreciated except the sort saying "make sure that your software including everything is up to date".

/Johan = :f_confused:
  • 19 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      HM2 is just hopelessly slow regardless of your computer configuration. It's simply poor programming.

You can get help 2 ways imo:

1. HM team work their asses of to bring out a good HM3 asap. Not really gonna happen imo.
      2. Try alternatives and see if they are better.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      My signature
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Yuck!

Even installing various .net versions is a pain in the arse. The installation programs/files seldom work as intended. They sometimes even make the windows installer service crash.

• YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      @EmanuelC16

You are probably right. HM2 seems to be beyond repair. Suppose I eventually get it up and running. Then I doubt it's bearable to use it since my computer hardware is close to 5 years old. Not nearly powerful enough to haul dot net runtime.

So what are the alternatives?

1.) Write my own. Best, except that I don't look forward to the HUD part of it. Ruled out for now.

2.) Poker Tracker? Had version 1 (or was it 2) long long ago and it worked fine back then.

3.) PokerSleuth? I downloaded something from them that was free, moderatly fast, and full of bugs. Ruled out due to bugs.

Alternatives anyone?

• tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by YohanN7
      Alternatives anyone?
      :facepalm: PokerTracker 4 Public Beta Now Open to All Players :facepalm:
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      You may wonder why I write in a thread about this mess. This is partly due to that I expect buyware to be better than freeware, but mostly because PokerStrategy has pipelined me to this. If PokerStrategy says go i go. How foolish by me.

Further attemps: Turn firewall off, run HM2 as only program. Nope.
      Contacted support: Got autoreply and nothing more.

Contacted Sales: Requested refund. This is where I am at.

Perhaps I'm too stupid (oh dude you need to trippleclick on the mouse and turn holecard reader on) to see the oh so obvious solution. Well, I am stupid, but, I wish to think, not too stupid.

Now I eagerly await reponse from sales.

(To be more precise about a HM2 (every) session:
      1.) Twenty seconds of splash screen.
      2.) Windows messagebox reporting that TableDllLoaderFinder (or whatever) has behaved badly. (Dot net 2 runtime)
      3.) HM2 appears.
      4.) 30 seconds later, new crash. This time main app. (Dot net 4 runtime))

• YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Progress!

The helpdesk guy located the error elsewhere. It wasn't HEM2, it was dot net. What a surprise. Now, according to instructions, complete uninstall of dot net that partially succeeded. At least it didn't crash.

Next step: Install dot net 3.5 SP1 according to instructions. After 20 minutes of grinding it decides to blopp up an error message box. Thank you for purchasing and have a Nice Day.

I have heard nothing from the sales department on my refund request.

Oh, by the way, now no dot net apps run on my computer. This is, after all, a good thing.

• YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      And now: Microsoft Dot Net Silly Season.

MS (and HM2) seem to see Dot Net 3.5 SP 2 as a vital ingredience. So I try to install it. It's supposed to be cumulative and oh so secure and clever.

Dot Net 3.5 SP 2 won't install because 3.0 is not installed (which is correct). I install 3.0, fail due to missing msxml, install msxml, which partially fails because it is installed already. Dot net 3.0 install succeeds.

New try with 3.5 SP 2. Nope. Must already have 3.0 SP 2 to proceed. Try to install 3.0 SP2 which says "you don't need this". Try to uninstall 3.0 in order to try 3.0 SP2 directly. Uninstall fails because 3.0 is not installed (it figured out after 20 seconds).

Thus I will now try to "repair" 3.0 in order to be able to uninstall it. This procedure seems to hang though. Yada yada yada.

I haven't played any poker in three days.

Still no reply from HM sales department.
      If the rely on third party software, they should supply it in their installation package.

• YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Seriously now, does anyone know how to get rid of dot net completely? At least make most programs believe that it doesn't exist?

Now windows update insists on updating some dot net version that is installed, but fails to do so because it isn't installed. Uninstall of it fails because it isn't installed and intall of it fails because it's already installed.

Probably there are 3978236761 different registry keys involved. Perhaps a few more. I'd be happy if there is a "parent key" to get rid of.

Is there a separate control panel for this crap (like for Java)?

• YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Back to square zero. After many hours I now have a system, with regard to dot net, identical to what I had three days ago plus a spooky version (3.0 )that both exists and doesn't exist (and makes windows update go bananas).

I should have known better than to listen to the initial advice given by any software support anyware (reinstall, then reinstall, then REINSTALL all other software than ours. If that doesn't help, turn off every other piece of software. If that again doesn't work they will assign you to another person in the support center. The advice will be reinstall, etc).

Does anybody have experience from trying to get a refund from Hold'em Manager?

• YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Real progress.

This may be useful to somebody else as well experiencing similar problems. When the program has started, then quickly locate "Stop HUD" and "Stop import". This may prevent an immediate crash at least. Thus the main issue (on my computer) is in one of these areas (import or HUD). Incredibly stupid installation default there in my opinion.

EDIT: It's most likely the import causing the main crash.
      EDIT AGAIN: It is the import. Even manual import of one file from PokerStars fails.

• YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      They gave me a refund!

Since I've been spewing in this thread about this, it's fair to point this out. It's probably fair too to say that HM2 has wonderful functionality. It only sucks technologically.

I'd rather have had a working program though... May the river be with you!

• Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Installed PT4 yet?
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      No. PT3.

What would PT4 bring?

• netsrak
      netsrak
      Gold
      I have to apologize, i overlooked this thread totally in the last weeks as i was not aware that there is a ne Holdemmanager section in the english forum. I was only scanning the Poker software folder.
      I guess i could have helped you out earlier.
      Please let me know if you still need help.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      It works very good on W7 with all the .net updates installed and on a 5-6years old machine. Installed it 3-4 times by now and all works well after the .net updates are installed.

I mean only the windows update stuff.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      I might try HM2 again in the future, but I'll never again spend a week on reinstalling various .net versions.

My advice to HM is to follow common practice and produce a list of system requirements. If additional third party software (like some version of .net) is required, then the installation procedure naturally should offer the opportunity to install or update that too. Holdem Manager surely is "big enough" in the business now to behave in their delivery procedures.

Dot net provides an invaluable asset to those who use it to produce software. It's called deniablility. This means that any error whatsoever can be handled (by the producers) as if it is an error in third party software. That is, it's somebody elses fault that things don't work, or even better, they can, and probably will, say that it is your own fault that the software doesn't work.

Sure, dot net is pretty badly implemented. The top notch developers at MS are likely to try to trim off pico-seconds in inner loops in the JIT-generated code for .net, or try to make it work on your wrist watch. The more mundane tasks are probably delegated to cheaper programmers. Still, the thing has been around for some time, and other .net applications are known to work - even on my machine. I have a hard time believing that the main problem is .net. I think it's HM2.

• netsrak
      netsrak
      Gold
      Thanks for your feedback, i forward it.