[NL2-NL10] Trying out the Squeeze Play

• KiroLiro
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, A.
      4 folds, BU raises to $0.06, SB calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.24, BU calls $0.18, SB folds.

Flop: ($0.54) J, 7, 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.26, BU raises to $1.69(All-In), Hero calls $1.24.

Turn: ($3.73) 2 (2 players)

River: ($3.73) Q (2 players)

Final Pot: $3.73.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of jacks(J A).
      BU shows a pair of kings(K K).

BU wins with a pair of kings(K K).

I've recently learned a new concept, the squeeze play. First time actually trying it out. In hindsight, I think I should realize that if someone calls my squeeze, they are probably very strong.

Unfortunately, I hit TPTK on the flop, and snapped called without thinking. I'm guessing anyone thinking about it would fold in this situation? Or do I still have good equity?

So some general questions. Pokerstrategy doesn't really talk about squeeze plays until higher up (I think gold). So I don't know stuff like what's a good squeeze hand. There's stuff to consider like button raises, hes suppose to have nothing. Or maybe my squeeze with AJ was a little light?

Is this something I should incorporate into my play? Or should I not bother at the penny tables, because its one of those advance moves that don't work because people are only thinking about what they have and not what the opponent thinks they have, etc.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello KiroLiro,

Add to full stack. :)

Preflop: Nah, those hands are still fine to squeeze. Especially vs BU range who could be stealing with very wide range and we also have both blockers.
      Postflop: Well, I doubt that we can get away while he could even have a lot worse there and maybe even sees weakness in our Bet size and just ships. Could maybe even do that with just weaker Jx or even weaker PPs or just overcards, never know. Difficult to fold in 3bet pot.

Best Regards.